• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Part III ... some new carbon parts... 2013 POLARIS RMK.. COMING FEBRUARY 10th, 2012 !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Climb

Premium Member
This is a bad AS$ Sled! They should be handing out free knee/ shin pads with every order though. Deadly look'n boards......but will be deadly to your knee if you do somehow slip. :face-icon-small-sho
Lets see another 10HP
and better yet Belt drive!
That would be fricken unreal!

friscospices.com

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Nebraska
www.friscospices.com
I have about 20 days riding on the air-frames, similar to what Polaris is coming out with and have yet to slip off the boards. If no snow collects on them you wont slip unless your wearing dress shoes. Lol, 10 more HP and the rest of the mountain class will just have to fold.

illadvised

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2008
maybe they changed it on the 12... or maybe the RMK is different, but my 11 SB Assault has a solid bar for the steering arm, that looks to have an adjustable bar with heim joints at each end...

A

AkLogan

Nov 26, 2007
Kenai, Alaska
The brake is a touch smaller from the pictures. Also look at the bumper. The 11-12's the bumper was painted. So maybe they changed the design?

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Carbon fiber vs.....what's there now

MH...This is right up your alley. What is the strength differentiation between the carbon fiber set-up and what is there now? Now that I think about it, hardly anyone shoots aluminum arrows out of their bows any more, its all carbon. Is it that much stronger?

Burr

Premium Member
Jan 10, 2008
Luverne Mn
if there is no chaincase, and the brake rotor is on the jackshaft, how are we going to stop when we blow a drive belt on this new drive?

A tree will do the job if the belt breaks ! That is if this sled cant fly the way i think it might be able to do also by the time they are done with it ! Wow a mod from the factory. Thank you polaris for what you are doing to this sled !

D
Feb 28, 2011
BC, Canada
I'm also a mountain biker and the latest and greatest technology in the sport is 100% carbon fiber downhill bike frames. These frames take a beating. I was a skeptic to begin with... but they have proven me wrong. Carbon fiber (when done right) is TOUGH.

Notice, no welds? All carbon. :face-icon-small-hap
trek-carbonio-6.jpg

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I'm also a mountain biker and the latest and greatest technology in the sport is 100% carbon fiber downhill bike frames. These frames take a beating. I was a skeptic to begin with... but they have proven me wrong. Carbon fiber (when done right) is TOUGH.

Notice, no welds? All carbon. :face-icon-small-hap
trek-carbonio-6.jpg

The key phrase in that sentence is "done right" as carbon fiber's yeild strength and tensile strength are so close that there is no warning before catastrofic failure. My guess that is why they are using the carbon on low stressed / low consequence parts, where failure is less likely. Also bolt on parts that could be swapped for the existing ones if they prove problematic for some.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I have tested A LOT of CF components....not sled components but the material is similar.
Depending on HOW it is being made it can be MUCH stronger than aluminum, or similar strength. I would think they will make it just "strong enough" to keep weight and costs down.
I have seen CF that was 1/8" thick that you could not put a splitting maul through if your life depended on it....others that break like fiberglass.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
Thy
E same way you do now when you break a chain. I wouldn't worry about breaking a belt anymore than I would about breaking a chain....

as long as it is still covered. if it isn't there is going to be issues with it. snow and ice will eat them quickly. that is my main concerned and still not answered by the latest photos...

pv

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
as long as it is still covered. if it isn't there is going to be issues with it. snow and ice will eat them quickly. that is my main concerned and still not answered by the latest photos...

pv

If you are getting that quantity of snow and ice inside the cowling, you have bigger issues to worry about than premature wear of the sprockets and belt.

Additionally what good is all this hyper-lite stuff if let the tub fill up with water, snow, and ice? Seal it up, but let it breathe. If not from the factory, then before you ride it!

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
I have tested A LOT of CF components....not sled components but the material is similar.
Depending on HOW it is being made it can be MUCH stronger than aluminum, or similar strength. I would think they will make it just "strong enough" to keep weight and costs down.
I have seen CF that was 1/8" thick that you could not put a splitting maul through if your life depended on it....others that break like fiberglass.

It would be interesting to see the specs on their parts. I am trying to be as skeptical as possible. I definitely like what I am seeing so far, but I am still a little cautious. A part of me wants to take a risk and get the 13 (superstitions aside) and a part of me wants to wait and see how the new stuff shakes out for a year. Sure wish I could ride one...

Excalibur

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2011
Lewiston, ID
I was wondering the exact same thing! im ordering a new sled this year but i feel 11,999 is gunna be my max MSRP. this sled im guessing will be closer to the 13,999. sweet sled for sure, i hope some of this stuff transfers over to the 600 rmk and the assault!

I sure hope it does not cost $13000 +. Most of us paid $11500 or less for the 2011/2012 and they work so well even stock. I would consider trading up the 2011 for the 2013, depends on how well our trade values hold up.:face-icon-small-coo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features