• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Part IV ... Belt drive pics!!!... 2013 POLARIS RMK.. COMING FEBRUARY 10th, 2012 !

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I never see harleys with tree branchs and 5 #chuncks of ice and snow around the belt. IMO there are far more variables that will flesh themselves out when 10,000 sleds hit the snow.

Oh, I agree, it belongs inside of a "chaincase". But since it won't have to hold fluid, the cover and housing could weigh ounces instead of pounds.

Hurricane Tim

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2009
I lost teeth off of the little gear and it was all over. I was able to clean it out on the trail but the lack of chaincase oil caused it to seize up. Polaris was a good boy and took care of it on warranty.

What did you have to clean out on the trail, the chaincase or your pants?

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
I sure hope I can put the new boards on my 12 rmk, the carbon parts are cool, and yes carbon can be strong but guess what,. When it gets really cold it will be more brittle and it won't flex as well to absorb bad impacts, and when you have a wreck, carbon will shatter to pieces, aluminum will just bend and you can at least ride out.

I'm a downhill biker have also rode carbon bikes and i love them,. The cold tempature effects on carbon and the fact I'm 40 miles from help makes me leary of carbon structural parts. I hope I am proved wrong

Y

Yamahog

Feb 13, 2011
Washington state
I sure hope I can put the new boards on my 12 rmk, the carbon parts are cool, and yes carbon can be strong but guess what,. When it gets really cold it will be more brittle and it won't flex as well to absorb bad impacts, and when you have a wreck, carbon will shatter to pieces, aluminum will just bend and you can at least ride out.

I'm a downhill biker have also rode carbon bikes and i love them,. The cold tempature effects on carbon and the fact I'm 40 miles from help makes me leary of carbon structural parts. I hope I am proved wrong

You have to think they considered this in the design phase. Not all carbon fibre is the same and can be made to withstand colder temperature .

G

GREICO1

Apr 12, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
So far it hasn't worked on the bumpers-think I'll keep my '12. Correctly stated, the carbon bikes are awesome, and I have carbon on mine, but everyone here with a pro has either replaced the carbon for something stronger, or re-enforced the carbon they have. Suspensions, tunnels, a-arms don't just "bend" without having something else contribute to the failure. Unfortunately, the carbon bumpers do just break, and according to Polaris it is not warrantable as "the bumper is not a lifting point". Stiffer-Yes. Stronger-Probably. Better? Well, the jury is still out on that one.

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
I never see harleys with tree branchs and 5 #chuncks of ice and snow around the belt. IMO there are far more variables that will flesh themselves out when 10,000 sleds hit the snow.

I've never seen a belt drive on a sled with tree branches and 5 lb chunks of ice and snow around it either. If your sled is filling up the engine bay with snow, ice and branches, you've got something else going on, Polzi.

Now, who's gonna be the first to port the belt on the belt drive to loose weight? lol!

M
Nov 28, 2007
or
sure hope the carbon frame pieces are a lot stronger than the bumpers, if not theres gonna be quite a few smashed frames, not a good thing to loose when your up on the hill;) wow 125 users viewing this thread, have never seen even close to that many!!!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
just think tomorrow we get to see the new light weight hood and sides, then thursday the belt drive and friday the new hp........

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Everyone is worrying too much about the belt drive. I had one for six seasons and never blew a belt. It had tree branches, snow and ice and not a problem. Kicking snow even kicked the footwell into the brake. Screwed up the rotor but no problems with belt. I always packed a spare belt but never used it. I have never broke a chain but have been with people that have and your day is over. Actually the fun is just starting. This is a big plus in my book.
As far as the carbon fiber, I think it is just eye candy. If the aluminum pieces were bonded together, I don't see a nickels worth in the rigitivity of the chassis. They are playing with it to see how a few pieces hold up before doing more.
The running boards aren't as good as the airframes but pretty close. Definately wouldn't have bought airframes if I had these.
The seat is going to be awesome. No more catching your feet as you hop to the other side.
If they stopped now they have done more than any other manufacturer with a sled that is only 2 seasons old. Luckily, apparently there is more. Finally a sled that only needs a turbo.

T
Jan 1, 2008
What I want to know is, who knows about Polaris new 4 stroke turbo from the factory. Who knows the h.p. numbers and will it compete with the 1100t cat?

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
The carbon fiber under the hood will be much warmer than that cheesy bumper. I've had very few wreaks with my sled cold and not running. :face-icon-small-dis

And imo there's no way the Polaris lawyers would allow a belt drive if it wasn't proven to be very strong. I was unfortunate enough to own one of the many Dragons that went down and I hate Polaris for putting out such a $hitty product. But this sled has me thinking. Unless the other manufacturers step up there's nothing even close to this.

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
One of the guys we ride with lots is on his 3rd full carbon fiber chassis. Dating back to 2006. He has never had a failure on any of them. The last 2 also had belt drives and one of them was running a turboed 2 stroke and another a 990 trygstad twin. These chassis are carbon fiber bulkhead, fuel tank, tunnel and all panels. Check out www.c3powersports.com

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
Also a question for MH or any other sled guru. If this thing is 417 lbs dry. How much more weight can be shaved off relatively cheap?

Pipe/Can, Powerclaw track, headlight delete, Float 2's??????

I'm thinking sub 400 should be possible but I'm not sure of the weight savings of the above items.

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
The first thing we all look to for weight savings is the stock can. Polaris might have targeted this as a weight savings area. Not as light as an after market can but I'm sure they could shave 5 lbs there, easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features