• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt Drive Options/Discussion

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
First of all I'm not starting this thread to bash Polaris. I like the moves they have made with new technology and weight reduction. I'm certainly bummed that I lost a belt drive. Now I need to decide what to do. There have been some misc. threads on the QDS but I thought it would be good to get others opinions.

I don't care if you don't like Polaris and/or their QDS system. You have other options!

So, I have a Silber turbo and want a reliable system. I have several options:

1.) Buy a '14 belt to fix my bad '13 belt. Will this belt hold up? Is the '14 better than the '13? I will need to spend $170 on two belts so I have a backup and likely buy the HappyFace install tool. That's about $400.
Happy Face Install Tool

2.) Buy the C3 system for $900. They claim an overall better system due to bigger gears. You can choose your gear ratio and the belts are supposedly 1/3 the cost.
C3 System

3.) Buy the Tom Kobza belt solution. Just like the C3, it has a tensioner, cheaper belts and supposedly more reliability.
Kobza Belt system for Doo (didn't see the Poo version)

4.) The CMX is the best looking kit. Billet, well tested and probably the best solution if money grew on trees. You also get a rolled chain case...err belt case. I think it is $2500, but I could be wrong.
CMX Belt System

5.) Kurt's Polaris Gear Down. I don't know much about this kit other than it changes the gearing. Seems to be well received. Kit is $595. I think it might be a different belt as well.

Tensioners
What about the Fire n Ice tensioner? Anyone using this?

Another question to consider. Do the aftermarket kits install in a Pro with an existing QDS? The pictures I see look like they are modifying a chain case. I wouldn't want to have to glue a chain case in. Glue is pricey and I would have to pay for something I already paid to not have in the first place (the chain case).

What kind of warranties do the aftermarket companies have? How much are their belts?

I appreciate any experience and/or knowledge with any of these systems. BTW...my wife is ready to kill me for more costs after doing the Silber!

HERE is a really good thread MountainHorse started last year. It goes into fine detail and debate about how Polaris has handled the situation. I'm just looking for discussion on what people have done to remedy their QDS issues.

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Also, for options 2-4 I suppose I could sell my QDS from my Pro. I'm not sure how much that would be worth. Perhaps someone would want to bring a '11, '12 or non QDS '13/'14 Pro up to the QDS. Perhaps a non turbo sled would be fine.

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
I have my eye on the Kurt's Polaris gear down kit.
They have nice machined and hard coated pulleys. They are claiming much reduced belt temps as well as higher track speed. I'm going to watch this as the season unfolds

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
I installed a C3 belt drive on my 13 pro, very easy just swap gears and bolt on the tension arm. Belts are in the $90 range. Kevin offers 2 different belts one for turbo ed sled and one for none turbo.
I now have over 600 problem free miles with this setup.(I blew 3 belts in under 700 miles with the stock set up)
Wish I would have done it from day one it would have saved me $750 as belts are $260 here in Canada.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Sledhead,

Did you have a Pro RMK (with QDS) or did you have a RMK with the chain case when you installed the C3 system? Do you know if C3 warranties blown belts, broken parts in their system, etc?

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Any belt will break. All the aftermarket ones have had failures too whether you have read about them or not. There is more unbroken Poo belts with the QDS on the snow than there are unbroken aftermarket belts with a tensioner on the snow after just one season. Its just #"s.
A chain will break too. It just doesn't seem to break as often in the hands of the "masses". I believe the chain has more tolerance for misalignment, tension and definitely heat. If you bolt on a "sprockets and tensioner" kit does that fix any possible alignment probs on your sled or heat issues?
Is a belt tough enough anyway? #'s say so but does your mind say so?

I didn't break a Poo belt in 1700 miles but I put on a C3 system to gear down. In my hands the Poo belt seems to be much tougher. Do I think the C3 system will be bullet proof? Not a chance in my mind but it will be easier to change out in the field and I did my measurements more than twice lol.
Should poo give their techs a C to C measurement to check (only thing the adjuster compensates for) or alignment measurement? And, if it was out how would they direct the repairs? Would they direct the techs to bolt on a tensioner or dissemble the chassis and reglue?
If you take 10 115 belts and measure the length will they be all the same length? Are timing belts built more accurately?

So,, If Poo didn't put the QDS system on in '13 would it have the most dependable sled on the snow? Has the QD system increased sales of the standard RMK's?

Lots of questions lol. AD, you answered your own questions in your first post. only one system is complete and "by the book". The QDS system (or any of them) is innovative, less rotating mass, and bling but not as dependable as a rigid old style, set it and forget it, chaincase,,, yet.
So you have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky lol, or am I ready for a belt drive, or is it worth it? Only you can answer that. You always have choices, right on the showroom floor or in the aftermarket.
What will you pick? The bling, innovation, light weight or proven, old school, less exciting std. stuff? The #'s show what most pick. Did you make the correct choice for you? Can you blame Poo for your decision?

I'm happy with mine but it did add to my daily checklist. If I didn't read about all the broken ones would I have added to my daily check list lol? Always wanted a belt drive lol.

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Geo, it's funny you post about the reliability of the chain case. I lost a chain case in a 2011 Pro. Very rare I know. The teeth of the small sprocket were stripped. There was a hole in the case at some point and I lost all the fluid. This led to the chain heating up and locking up.

Good to hear you like the C3. I have calls into both C3 and TKI.

I'm wondering though, is the '14 belt improved enough to stick with it?

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Maybe it's the year but there seems to be a bit less of the broken QD threads.
Does seem like there is less talk on broken belts. I have a 14 belt on my 13 no problems. Only have about 100 miles on it. My dealer talked me out of the C3 drive, he feels very confident the 14 belt is going to be a big improvement.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
AD,
I can't speak to anything other than the stock QD and Kurt's Gear Down.

I personally had NO issues with the stock QD. I did get a new jackshaft last spring from the service bulletin. I personally have been around a LOT of 2013 QD sleds and know of ZERO belts breaking. I am not denying belts have succumbed to breakage, btw.

I have heard of only one 2014 belt so far. That belt reportedly went at 150.

I rode Kurts Gear Down on Sunday Dec 22 and was REALLY impressed with it.
Low gearing, his pulleys and NOT the stock belt.
VERY snappy on bottom end.
From corner to corner on mtn roads...HOLD ON!!!! The straight stretches go by in a flash if you grab the flapper.

I believe it's the same belt that CMX uses. If I weren't thinking of changing to 7t drivers and the X3 track, I'd go with Kurt's gear down in a flash.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Running the TKI on my 12. Was able to go twice this week so far. I geared it down as well but not as low as Kurts. I went to 2:25 and it pulls well, like a freight train... Set up has been flawless so far. Now I am trying to figure out on what to change in my clutching as well....I know there is more to get in the top end....just trying to figure out how.

Sleddogg

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Dayton, WY
I also put the TKI on my 13 Pro. Super simple to bolt on. Mine is at 2.17 and so far I love it! It made a significant improvement. Replacement belts are like 70-75. It seems much tougher than stock as well.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

N

nofuture

Sep 10, 2011
My 14 belt is holding up to the abuse of a turbo well. 200ish miles including power on landings and finding frozen ground at wot. I'm happy with it so far...

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I also put the TKI on my 13 Pro. Super simple to bolt on. Mine is at 2.17 and so far I love it! It made a significant improvement. Replacement belts are like 70-75. It seems much tougher than stock as well.

Are you sure those belts are not $120?

Sleddogg

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Dayton, WY
Just checked with him.. $80 from him.
I suggest anyone interested call him up. He is super knowledgeable and great to talk to. 406-850-8091

Premium Features