• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PART 7... 2013 POLARIS RMK.. COMING IN JUST 2 DAYS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
If there was a cover for the belt every one would just take it off anyway to shave a little more weight. No way to get fingers etc. caught unless running it on a track stand and being Very careless.
I too thought direct injection or modified port timing?
I wonder if the belt drive frees up any ponys without tensioners adding friction?

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
just what THATSPEC said

my friend has a cmx belt drive on his rev no cover at all (besides side pannel)
he's got something like 7-8000 miles on that dam thing almost 10,000
on the sled (about 8 motors too :face-icon-small-dis) and it rips
and he rides the heck out of it trees, ice, powder, whiskey etc
likes to jump it and land flat while on the throttle broke two or three chains/cases even twisted a driver on the shaft once

i guess i mean don't worry about the BELT
thanks to MH and anyone else keeping the thread open to us cheap mothersledders

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
Can someone explain the benefit of the brake on the driveshaft instead of the jackshaft? I understand the braking action is still there if your belt (or chain) breaks. What other benefit is there??

A

Aussie Niko

Can someone explain the benefit of the brake on the driveshaft instead of the jackshaft? I understand the braking action is still there if your belt (or chain) breaks. What other benefit is there??

I would think being able to stop if it brakes would be the only reason. Mine you if your in deep pow and that system brakes you could always wrong foot it on its side and use the buried ski to help stop you on a descent. :face-icon-small-ton

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana

I think it would take alot of stress off bearings and belt/chain as you got that heavy track spinning 40+ mph slam on the brakes its gotta go through the bearings/gears/chain and slow down the shaft and secondary. if the brake was mounted on the lower shaft then all the belt/chain has to do is stop the secondary/belt. LOL make sense? IMO

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
I don't see what all the drama is about...all the cool kids already know the big news is the 13's are going to to be available in Cat green and Doo yellow to help the ship-jumpers feel better about being traitors.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Keeping the brake on the jackshaft they keep the gearing/leverage advantage so they can run a smaller caliper and smaller brake rotor. On the drive shaft it has to be bigger to have the same effect. So....a weight advantage by keeping it up top, not to mention the re-engineering of the bulkhead, driveshaft etc....
Clean looking setup!

Last edited:
F
Nov 15, 2010

When your belt breaks and the caliper is on the jackshaft you have no connection to the drive shaft, thus you have no braking action. If the caliper is on the drive shaft you always have brakes.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Not sure I care much where they mount it but surprised their lawyers will let them put it up top. A lawyer would have a field day if somebody got hurt. "So what you are telling me Mr Polaris Engineer is that when the belt/chain breaks the machine has no brakes? And how many belts/chains do you sell every year for warranty/repair? So you are telling the court than you knew the belt/chain will brake and the 400lb machine with 150 horsepower would not be able to stop?" $5,000,000 to the plaintiff for injuries sustained! Man I HATE lawyers.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Give the belt thing a break. That belt is going to outlast the sled. I had a cmx drive with over 4000 miles and no troubles. It did have the brake on the other shaft but it has to be guarded. How come nobody was worried about the brake there, with the chaincase. This system is probably simpler and lighter because of that. If everyone is so worried about sticks and snow, the way it is, keeps it up higher. How many of you have opened your side panel and it is completely full of snow. That's out. A few small sticks will get in there but it is not like you have a whole tree in there. As for a guard, how are you going to get your fingers in there if it is not moving. When they release the weight is everyone going to say it's too light. everyone should be more worried that they are going to be riding by themselves because this sled is going to rock.

M

mtnmod

Dec 3, 2007
mason city,iowa
2013 PRO RM800

Wow great way to see all the updates come out. It took alot of testing in all weather and condishons to bring so many over the top upgrades !! I can,t see any reason not to buy one I,m not getting any younger. I never rode Polairs until two years ago. Always on charged Nytros until I switched to 09 dragon 163. Then got a Pro Rmk 800 163 and everything changed as it's soo easy to ride. Going to love this sled , BRING IT ON ***:high5:

tyb57

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2010
MN/WI
If anybody truely is worried about foriegn objects collecting inside the pannels and causing damage, buy mike taylors close off pannels and enjoy the new sled worry free. Hey, maybe that is tomorrows big suprise, his close offs will now come stock on all RMK sleds!

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
So the edge had the brake on the jack shaft whats the differences ,i guess i don't see the big deal.Could some explain the differece to me please.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Can I order one without a motor, lol
Looks like the full package, my pc might turn into a backup sled. I worry about the motor, but with that much improvement, I can handle a little worry.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
When your belt breaks and the caliper is on the jackshaft you have no connection to the drive shaft, thus you have no braking action. If the caliper is on the drive shaft you always have brakes.

Semi-Off topic;
Only if you don't blow the track, I've seen them blow clean in half and come up and slap you in the back and send you over the bars doing 100 MPH across the lake with a full complement of stud penetrations in your back.

I think you'll find these belts are stronger, more reliable, and maintenance free. So it actually lighter to have the brake on the faster turning shaft ( as winter stated previously), as there is no slop in the belt any input of the brake is instantly transferred to the driveshaft.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
All these updates will be for a Pro4-RMK. Turbo charged weber.
Current 800 2 stroke wont get these, theyll be just like the '12 Pro.

snow_god

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2011
southwest wisconsin
As awesome as the belt drive seems im gonna have to wait till tghe 14 to snocheck. gonna wait and see how durable there actually r.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features