• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2024 Boost Expert Ride Report (The new and improved aluminum "lighter" weight boat anchor)

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
You guys keep referring to "turbo lag" on the Boost. I think you have it all wrong. The Doo has a long stroke which makes it super torquey, This torque makes the Turbo R throw it's heavy turbo weights without a problem. The Boost also has the P22 clutch which has a roller bearing on the clutch shaft which makes it start out in a higher gear. This makes it struggle more, to get going, compared to the Doo clutch design. Finally the Doo's are geared at roughly 2.5:1 while the Boost is closer to 2.3:1 This gearing helps the Doo push right through the lower speeds prior to building boost. Doo has engineered well in this regard. My Boost was geared down this weekend.
Best mod, hands down, is gear down. Always reliable and it just plain works. Clutch kit, schmutch kit

M
Jan 2, 2018
Kent, WA
I just got mine back from the dealer for constant P3036 codes on last trip. They first tried to reflash on the truck but said something else was going on with it, picked it up the next day and was told it’s got the 24 map, still waiting on paperwork to see what all was done.
I have this same code. It is intermittent. Curious to see what resolved it. Sled runs fine, so I haven't brought it in yet.

P
Dec 15, 2018
you ride with all the big boy you- tubers, why do they all ride them? Is it just an obligation? Who’s the best skidoo ambassador? Lol. Where you headed next to clinic?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Same clutch and same gearing on a 9R, yet 9R seems so much more responsive. You are right its definitely not turbo lag. It's the Boost sticker on the side panel, it weighs more than the 9R sticker effecting the bottom end on the sled. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Why do so many people pretend to be smarter than everyone on the internet?

Don’t forget about the lighter flywheel and crank.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Stock to stock, yes your absolutely correct, but a G5 Expert with aftermarket spindles is actually quite close to a Matryx. I put a few hours in on both last weekend. I still feel doo is amore refined machine at the end of the day
I’ve done it all to a Gen 4 and Gen 5. Spindles, skis, socks. It’s makes a nice improvement on the skidoos but in tech terrain still no comparison to a stock matryx. The harder you push into tech terrain the bigger the gap.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Same clutch and same gearing on a 9R, yet 9R seems so much more responsive. You are right its definitely not turbo lag. It's the Boost sticker on the side panel, it weighs more than the 9R sticker effecting the bottom end on the sled. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Why do so many people pretend to be smarter than everyone on the internet?
Yes you do think your smarter because you are the expert but the 9R has the same clutch but not same motor and not same clutching. The 9R has gobs of torque but it too is starting out in a higher gear. On my 24 boost my waste gate cable fell out and I was riding without boost. Guess what? My boost did not have the same bottom end as my geared down 23 NA 850. Do you think I can blame that on turbo lag?

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Yes you do think your smarter because you are the expert but the 9R has the same clutch but not same motor and not same clutching. The 9R has gobs of torque but it too is starting out in a higher gear. On my 24 boost my waste gate cable fell out and I was riding without boost. Guess what? My boost did not have the same bottom end as my geared down 23 NA 850. Do you think I can blame that on turbo lag?
If you think a Boost with stuck waste gate should have the same bottom end as a NA 850 you are way smarter than me. You win the internet.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
If you think a Boost with stuck waste gate should have the same bottom end as a NA 850 you are way smarter than me. You win the internet.
You read it that way? I said it did not have the same bottom end and I knew it wouldn't. Tell me why it does not have the same bottom end as a NA? List the 3 main reasons please.

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
So what the hell are we arguing about right now? We all agree the Polaris is outgunned on the low end but we're arguing about if its clutching or the powerplant?

Can we make it a requirement that you have to state what altitude you ride at before you comment on NA vs FI? A 9R vs a Boost at Sea Level is a completely different comparison than at 10-12k feet.

Premium Features