• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2024 Boost Expert Ride Report (The new and improved aluminum "lighter" weight boat anchor)

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I was talking about that with my riding bud today. The conclusion: anyone who can actually ride technical terrain at an expert level, who came over to poo from doo since the axys era, never goes back to a doo.

While the turbo R is a superior power plant to the patriot boost, the actual gen5 ride weight in deep powder is significantly more than the matryx due to icing on the tunnel, which makes them even harder to ride well when there are must make moves. So the functional power to weight and overall rideability on snow favors poo.

YMMV, unless you're the Forum Expert of $H1T talking, in which case this is these comments and observations are undisputed facts.

I look forward to trying a catalyst 858. The chassis and boost wars are fun, and it's an amazing time to be a sledder, with great options for everyone. As my favorite used car dealer friend wisely says, "there's an ass for every seat."
Absolutely technical on a matryx is not comparable to a Gen5.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
...Why they don't have a new map upgrade for the older turbos is mind boggling. Maybe they are doing that to get people to upgrade to a newer turbo?
i'm pretty sure the latest update for the ev codes is the new '24 map.
clutching appears to be the same between '23 and '24. don't know if there are any other changes (intake, etc...)

Buchholz56

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2013
Dayton, MN
I just got mine back from the dealer for constant P3036 codes on last trip. They first tried to reflash on the truck but said something else was going on with it, picked it up the next day and was told it’s got the 24 map, still waiting on paperwork to see what all was done.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Two days in chest deep pow on my 24’ boost 155 3.25 and my son riding the G5 155 3” turbo. The 24’ boost is a huge improvement over the 22 and 23’. No bogging in over the hood snow. The throttle response is quite good on the 24’ boost, still not quite on par with the doo though. Everyone who rode both felt like the 24’ boost was stronger WOT. The 3.25 does seem to trench out quicker and easier than the doo 3”. I’ll probably try the 300lx I have on my 24’ boost.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Two days in chest deep pow on my 24’ boost 155 3.25 and my son riding the G5 155 3” turbo. The 24’ boost is a huge improvement over the 22 and 23’. No bogging in over the hood snow. The throttle response is quite good on the 24’ boost, still not quite on par with the doo though. Everyone who rode both felt like the 24’ boost was stronger WOT. The 3.25 does seem to trench out quicker and easier than the doo 3”. I’ll probably try the 300lx I have on my 24’ boost.
I think the feel of it trenching worse is just the difference in the 3.25 actually moving snow when we were all used to the the 2.75 laying over. I rode the 3.25 and Ski Doo track side by side on 155 Boosts and the Ski Doo track does not out perform the 3.25. I'd save your money until the 3.25 grenades.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I think the feel of it trenching worse is just the difference in the 3.25 actually moving snow when we were all used to the the 2.75 laying over. I rode the 3.25 and Ski Doo track side by side on 155 Boosts and the Ski Doo track does not out perform the 3.25. I'd save your money until the 3.25 grenades.

Nice, the mentorship is working.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Hmm, I understand what you’re saying but disagree that the handling difference is not comparable.
Just about anything is comparable right? Both are snowmobiles, so pretty easy to compare.

After owning and riding both doos and poos, I've long said that a doo feels easier to get on edge initially, but is harder to keep on edge, especially in variable and tracked snow. The doo just prefers to be flat, while the poo prefers to be on edge.

Back to the topic, the turbo lag is something I dislike on the boost compared to the 9R. The doo turbo r doesn't suffer from this issue in the same way the boost does.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Just about anything is comparable right? Both are snowmobiles, so pretty easy to compare.

After owning and riding both doos and poos, I've long said that a doo feels easier to get on edge initially, but is harder to keep on edge, especially in variable and tracked snow. The doo just prefers to be flat, while the poo prefers to be on edge.

Back to the topic, the turbo lag is something I dislike on the boost compared to the 9R. The doo turbo r doesn't suffer from this issue in the same way the boost does.
The doo Turbo is nearly lag free and the power on the bottom is much smoother that the boost, I agree on the handling comment above.

D

Driver

Dec 22, 2018
While the turbo R is a superior power plant to the patriot boost, the actual gen5 ride weight in deep powder is significantly more than the matryx due to icing on the tunnel, which makes them even harder to ride well when there are must make moves. So the functional power to weight and overall rideability on snow favors poo.

This varies a lot by the riding conditions. Mostly you can see the difference when riding trails to get to the destination. Doo has full lenght cooler so that makes the difference, but also less cooling problems compared to Pol.

When doing actual riding theres no much difference. All sleds collect ice and snow depending on the conditions.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
The Shakespeare of Snowest has spoken. Go back to your regularly scheduled programming.

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
Motor BoreStrokeStroke/Bore
Polaris 85085740.871
Ski Doo 8508280.40.980
Arctic Cat 8588575.60.889

Polaris needs a new motor with more stroke. From what I have heard, the Boost actually starts to build boost earlier than a Turbo R but it feels later because of the Ski Doo's torque.

I understand its more difficult to package and manage CoG but that seems secondary to making the powerplant work well before boost kicks in

C
Dec 14, 2020
MotorBoreStrokeStroke/Bore
Polaris 85085740.871
Ski Doo 8508280.40.980

Polaris needs a new motor with more stroke. From what I have heard, the Boost actually starts to build boost earlier than a Turbo R but it feels later because of the Ski Doo's torque.

I understand its more difficult to package and manage CoG but that seems secondary to making the powerplant work well before boost kicks in

I'd take whatever makes horsepower. We don't want or need max power under 5000rpm. We want them to run hard at 8000+rpm.

Shorter stroke has less piston speed and should be easier on parts at any given rpm.

Better clutching that allows you to build RPM quicker would be preferable to making another all new motor with more stroke.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
MotorBoreStrokeStroke/Bore
Polaris 85085740.871
Ski Doo 8508280.40.980

As soon as I saw the Cat had an 85mm bore, my thought was that they definitely followed Poo more than Doo. That Cat saw more in an oversquare motor is a vote of confidence in Polaris's approach, although I'd agree that Doo's longer stroke makes for a stronger midrange. I have to wonder what the 9R would be like they'd stroked the 850 instead of boring it. I'm sure they experimented with it; hard telling if it worked or not. Could be it didn't, but I could also imagine it being a bean-counters decision.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca

You guys keep referring to "turbo lag" on the Boost. I think you have it all wrong. The Doo has a long stroke which makes it super torquey, This torque makes the Turbo R throw it's heavy turbo weights without a problem. The Boost also has the P22 clutch which has a roller bearing on the clutch shaft which makes it start out in a higher gear. This makes it struggle more, to get going, compared to the Doo clutch design. Finally the Doo's are geared at roughly 2.5:1 while the Boost is closer to 2.3:1 This gearing helps the Doo push right through the lower speeds prior to building boost. Doo has engineered well in this regard. My Boost was geared down this weekend.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
You guys keep referring to "turbo lag" on the Boost. I think you have it all wrong. The Doo has a long stroke which makes it super torquey, This torque makes the Turbo R throw it's heavy turbo weights without a problem. The Boost also has the P22 clutch which has a roller bearing on the clutch shaft which makes it start out in a higher gear. This makes it struggle more, to get going, compared to the Doo clutch design. Finally the Doo's are geared at roughly 2.5:1 while the Boost is closer to 2.3:1 This gearing helps the Doo push right through the lower speeds prior to building boost. Doo has engineered well in this regard. My Boost was geared down this weekend.
Same clutch and same gearing on a 9R, yet 9R seems so much more responsive. You are right its definitely not turbo lag. It's the Boost sticker on the side panel, it weighs more than the 9R sticker effecting the bottom end on the sled. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Why do so many people pretend to be smarter than everyone on the internet?

Premium Features