• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Theres a new Sherrif in town... Timbersled's new SnowBike Kit

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Care to elaborate on the advantages/disadvantages in the snowbike application?

Not yet.

As I said, the jury is still out.

One of the big ones though is not being able to bump start the bike with fwd motion if the engine dies.

More to follow AFTER Jackson from Timbersled.

I'm just passing on info here.

Clutch choice is up to the owner/rider to choose... personal preference.

A Recluse clutch is not part of this kit, nor any other brand kit, I'd bet Allen is not making any recommendations on whether or not to use one.

Last edited:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Not yet.

As I said, the jury is still out.

One of the big ones though is not being able to bump start the bike with fwd motion if the engine dies.

More to follow AFTER Jackson from Timbersled.

I'm just passing on info here.

I ride very rocky loose trails and I prefer a Standard on my 525, the advantages far out way the few disadvantages, just my 2c

S
Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
So how do you license this for snow use in the winter? We need sno-park permits and sled registration tabs to ride in WA state. How would you get the proper license when the title/registration is for a dirt bike? Also does anyone know if you have a license plate on your bike, put this kit on does that mean you can ride snow covered roads legally where snowmobiles are not allowed?

I like this kit and think it would be a blast, more concerned with the legality of it at this point. I have seen other 2moto guys riding around here with aftermarket silencers and they are really really loud when riding pinned WFO. A lot louder than most mod sleds or sleds with pipes/cans. The noise doesn't bother me but I can see it becoming a large issue if more and more of these start hitting the hills.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
So how do you license this for snow use in the winter? We need sno-park permits and sled registration tabs to ride in WA state. How would you get the proper license when the title/registration is for a dirt bike? Also does anyone know if you have a license plate on your bike, put this kit on does that mean you can ride snow covered roads legally where snowmobiles are not allowed?

I like this kit and think it would be a blast, more concerned with the legality of it at this point. I have seen other 2moto guys riding around here with aftermarket silencers and they are really really loud when riding pinned WFO. A lot louder than most mod sleds or sleds with pipes/cans. The noise doesn't bother me but I can see it becoming a large issue if more and more of these start hitting the hills.

Wa st dual reg. my bike has a plate and a snowmobile tag.
The noise is just like anything else.. I see no reason to replace the stock can on my KTM. its not loud, but an uncorked yzf really sucks in my opinion. there is just no reason for it..
I wouldn't have a snowbike without a recluse..fantastic for getting unstuck..

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
year round version???

How about a year round version with a bunch of idler wheels and a smaller lug track? You think it would survive?

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
How about a year round version with a bunch of idler wheels and a smaller lug track? You think it would survive?

be about the same on that BDX rail kit they are making for sleds wouldn't it.

that would for sure change how ya look at mud riding.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Heres another helmet cam vid that I got from Allen...

1200 vert climb... thru the trees and then a nice steep bowl section.
The other bikes had to take a less "direct" route up.:face-icon-small-win

I'll be getting more next week... I got invited to ride them in Alpine next week.

Last edited:

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Someone is going to have to make winter specific fork and shock seals! Have they had an issue with blowing many in the winter conditions? Around here the bikes start leaking if you even think about riding them in the winter. :face-icon-small-ton
I would live with it though. That looks like a blast. I keep thinking more and more about going that route. I could really boon dock in the tight stuff with one of those. Less weight and modern dirt bikes seem to be 100X more reliable than sleds. No clutching or belt worries ever again. :thumb:
I noticed the extra gas can. What are you seeing for range? Probably worth going to an oversized tank I would guess.
I need one! Keep us posted on availablility and cost.

Timbersled

Premium Member
Apr 22, 2008
Eric,

Thanks for putting out the info on the SnowBike so far.

The conversion has exceeeded our expectations so far... 1500 miles on the demo bike/proto and still running strong.

This is a true deep snow machine that does not eat up the power in deep snow like other kits on the market.

See this post for more info...CLICK HERE

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Someone is going to have to make winter specific fork and shock seals! Have they had an issue with blowing many in the winter conditions? Around here the bikes start leaking if you even think about riding them in the winter. :face-icon-small-ton

odd, I live in Utah and ride year round and have no problems, used to live in Iowa and in the winter we studded them up and raced on the lakes, no fork leaks there either, hmmm

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
odd, I live in Utah and ride year round and have no problems, used to live in Iowa and in the winter we studded them up and raced on the lakes, no fork leaks there either, hmmm

Finally a reply. Thank you for the response. Not uncommon to load the bike in the truck at -20 and and drive an hour. We used to ride at a place called the Sandbox in the winter time. It is an indoor arena X type of setup. Usually around 40 deg inside and it just destroys seals. I assume it is the big jumps without a chance to warm up the seals. It pays to take the heat gun to the shock and forks. Last year I changed out 3 different bikes and two friends had to do theirs too.
Lake riding seems to be fine. Lots of cornering, but no big jumps. Usually not -20, but I would still ride in those temps reguardless. They seem to hold up to single track at 30 deg just fine too, but when I'm doing that I don't really hit any good jumps either.
I assume a bit of warm up riding on the trail would get enough internal heat to keep them from blowing. I just know that I would have to jump the thing. :face-icon-small-win I kinda figured it was just seal temp without a good warmup. I think you confirmed that. Thanks

Premium Features