• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Official details of the New Timbersled SnowBike system!

S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
Allen is not making the vids he has another guy working on them they will be here soon.

I am going up Sat to do a demo so I will make sure I get some good footage and post up as soon as I get back.

Let me know your thoughts. I may go fly up there the following week.

X

XXL

Jan 18, 2006
Wilsall, Montana
Nice kit, definitely looks very well built, nice job!:beer;

I do have a question on the implementation though.

How do you make these legal to run on the trail to get to the good stuff?

I know around here we have had the same problems with the new side x side's... everyone is buying kits to convert them to tracks to run in the winter on the sled trails, but it is illegal to do so because they are not licensed to operate as a snowmobile and are therefore illegal on any groomed trail. I know in the state of Washington, once you license something for a particular use (off road vehicle) you can't just change the use and buy another license (sled license in this case).

Has there been any thought along these lines or are people just going to run them? I've never seen any bikes running around here, and I wouldn't mind them as much as they probably wont tear things up near as much as a 4-track vehicle, but I thought I would ask the question.

just curious...:beer;

I think the side by side UTV's biggest issue is width. Here is Montanas defination of a snowmobile. "Snowmobile" means a self-propelled vehicle of an overall width of 48 inches or less, excluding accessories, that is designed primarily for travel on snow or ice, that may be steered by skis or runners, and that is not otherwise registered or licensed under the laws of the state of Montana.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I was able to ride the snowbike in Idaho and Alpine, Wyo... The thing was a blast to ride... I'm not a big MX guy... this thing was easy for me to just jump on and run in the deep stuff as well as the more setup snow on differnt days.

Definately worth a good look.

The Timbersled Snowbike redefines the way you will look at these machines... especially if you have piloted any other snowbike.

Snow J-dub... looking forward to hearing what you think of the ride!!

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
Well just got back from a Demo with the MountainHorse snowbike kit built by Allen at Timbersled Products. I have posted a review below and a U-Tube Vid

First off a big thanks for Allen taking us out for a spin on the bikes. Doing demo rides day after day can wear on a guy and having logged over 2,000 miles and 1500 miles on the other bike he did great showing us around the mountain and showing us what these bikes can really do even though I am sure he has to be getting burned out on demo rides.

At first glance almost any avid sledder that rides a 150hp stock 800 to full out boosted 250hp sled would look at a timbersled snowbike kit and think of a slow stuckfest ride through the woods on an underpowered bike. I mean how can something with such little HP and small track go through the power and not get stuck right??
Right off the bat we loaded the three bikes into the back of Allen’s truck (yes I said three) and headed to the mountains. Once up the mountains the bikes made for a quick and easy unload it is amazing that one person can load and unload these bikes without any problems once you get a system down. After gearing up & Allen giving us some pointers we were off. Getting on the mountainhorse is the most unnatural feeling in the word. Ever have you legs fall asleep and you try to walk?? Well that’s how the first mile on the trail felt in fact right off most will hate how the bike feels and want to get back on a sled. So after a few miles Allen stops and ask us if were ready for some hills “umm ya sure” I say and away he goes up a steep ravine. Still uneasy about the feeling of the bike we turn them into the sidehill and this is were things start to change. Right off one can tell this system is made for the steep in fact the worse it got the better off I seemed to be. We spent a few min in an open hillside learning the feeling of the bikes and then it was off to the ****holes.

Lucky for us Allen was on a 2-Moto kit and was in the lead. Now not bashing the 2-Moto it did ok but I was amazed at how slow I could take the mountainhorse kit through and up a slope that is only reserved for the best of the best snowmobile riders. These things just don’t want to get stuck!!! I could slow down and make a mistake right before heading up a 8 ft vertical wall of powder on a side-hill and drop it into 1st gear and it would just pull right up over the top with the ski in the air. All the wile Allen was wide open throttle pinned and just barely crawling through these spots and getting stuck constantly whenever his speed would burn off on the 2-moto were the timblersled would just crawl through the worst of spots even with a novice rider. I am still amazed at how much fun we had giving the crappy snow conditions. It was one of those days when on a sled you do great as long as you keep you speed up but let off the throttle once or loose your line in the trees and the bottom just falls out from underneath and there is just no traction once the tunnel gets bogged down in the wet heavy snow. Allen was the most bummed out about the snow in the powder he said the bikes are even more forgiving on the corners and you can turn even sharper on the hills with more speed and the bikes just float over the worst of bumps and ruts none the less the bikes just don’t need that much snow to have a blast in!!!

Another thing that surprised me is how well the front ski sticks to the snow. One would think you would have to keep the ski level or it would wash out in a turn. It is just the opposite the more you lean the bike into a hill or into a turn the more it sticks to the hill. With that said these bikes to have a bit of a learning curve one has to learn how to trust the ski no matter what and even if you are on a vertical sidehill and you want to turn uphill and you fall into a 8ft tree well you just steer into the bank and you just pop out (or the bike does).
After almost a full day on the bike I was able to start pulling some lines up stuff one just does not take a sled up or dream of taking a sled across. 2ft wide creek bed snow bridges with water underneath are no longer an issue and it does not matter if it vertical on the other side you just hit it WOT and pop on top or if you need you sidehill across it no matter how steep it is. You also cover country so fast!! You can just fly across this stuff no matter how steep or how tight up and through tree wells so deep and steep the bike would disappear.
So after a full day I can say these kits open up a whole new set of possibilities on not only were you can ride but how much fun you can have on 3 Gal of fuel. No belts to buy. Throw 3 guys in a truck and have a BLAST!!! Once you have the kit it can adapt to any bike. Did I mention (easy to get unstuck!!)
Cons
There was a few cons to the bikes.
1. After one stops the bike you must put the bike into N for it to start. Not sure why I start my 450 in the dirt all the time in 1st no problems but this is not the case for the bikes.
2. A magic button would be NICE!!
3. Not realy a con but I felt the Rekluse clutch was a must for the snowbike but then again I also think the recluse is a must for the dirt as well but the stock clutched bike also did great
4. It can be hard on snowpants wile I never burnt a hole through my snowpants I did smell them from time to time so it is just a matter of time I am sure I can do something to stop this but it is an issue that will need to be addressed.
5. A bit of a learning curve
6. Digging out the 2moto kit!!!
7. Iced trails are not the best if you get just a touch of powder on the trail you could fly down the trail without any darting.

I get allot of questions on the bikes so below I listed a few Q&A
Q –How much gas do you carry and how far can you go??
A—We did a full day and burned about 2.0 to 2.5Gal once you get used the bike Allen says a good 60 mile + ride burns 3-4Gal so it easy to carry this on the back of the bike.

Q—How often do you change out chains and sprockets??
A—I looked at these aluminum sprockets and they almost look like new!! Even after 1500 and 2000 miles they are in great shape easy a full season left on them. The snow just does not eat them up like dirt.

Q—How often do I tighten the chains??
A—after talking with Allen I would check them twice a season maybe 3 times but one is not going to have to tighten them but once a season

Q—Does the bike stand up on it’s own??
A—Yes it does 80% of the time it will stand right up without you putting much effort at all

Q—Is it going to work the crap out of my bike and motor??
A—I ride the dunes allot and I can say the dunes are 10 times harder on the bike than the snow. Most times you have to get off the throttle and back on so much and also there is no air filters to clean and dirt to get into the motor. 2000 miles on the one bike is ALLOT and it runs just like new never a top end or anything yet.

Q—Is the cold weather going to take out the seals and leak oil on the forks??
A—On the Yamaha and other 450’s so far it seems to do just fine without and leaks.

I am sure there are more questions and if you need prices so feel free to ask just shoot me an E-mail at snowjw3090@yahoo.com. Again I thank Allen for letting Mike and Me demo the bikes!! I came there very not knowing what to expect and I can say these things are a blast it’s very had to describe what they can do without spending some time on one.
Below is a U-Tube Vid link very hard to film these bikes we had to find a open area to get any shots so these areas are very open to what we were in most of the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1yVGsr0ETA&feature=youtube_gdata

Last edited:

Mtn. Muncher

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
Today is a Great Day for The Greatest Guy!!!!! It's Allen's Birhtday!!!!!!:present: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! Love from your wife :heart:

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
how much of a hassle is shifting? Are you using sledding boots or mx boots?

Are you constantly having to shift gears or can you click into 2nd or 3rd and lug along or use the clutch to up the RPMs?

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
I ride with Klim boots and no issues at all shifting this was a querstion I had as well.
I would ride with a klim or some type of boot with ankle support as it does not hinder you.

Most times I was in 2nd and 3rd in the tight tree areas 1st sometimes almost just like the dirt. I had the rekluse so I never touched the clutch most of the day but for the most part you don't have to shift much the 450's have allot of tq.

Mtn. Muncher

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
Check out Timbersled's web site. They have some riding videos on there.

In Idaho we only need to have a snowmobile license to ride on the groomed trail.

www.timbersled.com

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I Just got some pix of the newest addition to the Timbersled Snow Bike lineup!!

KTM 690... EFI, Super torquey!!

This thing is going to be a boondocking madman!!:face-icon-small-ton

Life is good :face-icon-small-hap Cant wait to ride it next season (If Allen feels generous!!)

attachment.php

ktm snowbike.jpg

T

tfrick821

Nov 27, 2007
eastern ia
I really dig those KTM's, I even think my wiener moved a little when I saw that 690.

Some background on myself. I have zero dirt bike background, I have riden 450r's and raptors for about the last 5 years and have been sledding out west for about 3 years. We only go out for about a week at a time and the powder days have been few and far between.

I have been considering one of these TS snow bikes for the last few months, they look like a blast in the trees and look to be the most comparable to a "real" sled. I also think one of these bikes could be a lot of fun back home here in eastern Iowa riding through the ditches.(Ditches are gay once you have experienced the backcountry but its what we have, really sucks on a mountain sled too)

I am kind of afraid of pulling the trigger on one of these. I have a feeling it is going to be one of those things where you absolutely hate it for a couple of days, but once you get the hang of it, it will be a blast. I also have a fear that I will never get the hang of it because I have no dirt bike background, and it will be like a $10g+ mistake. (by the time i sell my sled, buy and sell a kit and bike, and then have to buy another sled.)

What do you guys think would be a beginner bike for one of these kits? I was thinking the 450 xc-w, I've heard its power is a little more linear than the sxf. What about the pre 09 xc-f, I think its the same motor as an sxf with lower 1st and 2nd gears, but it doesnt have a back-up kick starter?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
It looks sweet, but the claim someone on a boosted 800 would have a hard time with the technical stuff is far from proven in the video. I have done tighter on a non boost m1000 and far more technical. I don't even think its that much work and the sled has more get up and go. The 690 looks like its got some potential. It would be cool to see and ride one of these on a decent pow day. You should put on a demo ride. at 4500 its not in the cards for most of us(mountain riders) unless there is a real potential.

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
WYO

It is very hard to see in that vid I shot how steep it was and how big of a hill we were on the one hill was cheesy. I suck at getting good footage and we rode most all of the day without getting any time to get the camera out. With that said I love my boosted D and M8 on 10-12lbs and on a 6ft powder day I will still break out the boosted sled. But a sled just can't go were these things go boosted or non boosted and they go through these areas so fast your in and out of the worst creek beds and vertical side hills and country you just normally don't go and can't go. They are the most fun with some good powder but even down low in low to no powder were you would have a bad sled day you can still have a blast on the bikes so wile powder is more fun it is not needed to have an epic day.

Not saying it's for everyone but the 450 did not seem to have any power issues at all I think the 690 will be fun for sure but a 450 is all most will need. I was a huge skeptic before I got on one but I have always had the dirtbikes and most times they just sit all winter this kit will allow me to go into some real cool new areas and have a blast doing it. Also nice to be able to update the bike and the kit will adapt to any bike if you swap bikes. But a demo ride is almost a must to truly understand were you can take the bikes as Allen has sold a kit to almost everyone that has taken a good demo ride on them.

Last edited:
R

Red Dog

Aug 29, 2001
Great work Alan,once again you built a better mousetrap.Cheers Red Dog.:light:

Premium Features