• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sway Bar Removal?

Should I remove my factory sway bar or keep the factory one on?

• Total voters
D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Soooo, unless I can afford $1000 shocks.... I better just leave it in place? lol
My 900 dives more than I care for already.

I would be interested to hear some more of the story if someone cares so humor me.....

The typical sequence of events I see with this topic is like yours Zane:
-removed sway bar.... sled dives and is too tippy.
-upgraded shocks, and now it handles great!
I wonder if you re-installed the sway bar with your Float Evols what would it handle like? Would you even notice it was there at 95psi?

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
It would ride rough. Removing the sway bar allows the skis to move independently of each other. Have you have ever went down a wash-boarded trail and even though you put one ski in the smooth snow on the edge the sled still beats the hell out of you? When you take the sway bar off if you have one ski in the smooth snow and the other in washboard your sled will glide smoothly over the washboard.

On powder snow there were no problems with stock shocks and if you have the stock ones that are adjustable you can simply turn the preload up a little. It is on hard packed snow on uneven slopes when trying to make and uphill turn that it would dive with stock nonadjustable shocks.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I should have kept my mouth (keyboard) shut lol, I joined the no-swaybar club last weekend! Not intentionally though....
I landed hard on the left ski, and heard a horrible snapping noise... snapped the sway bar at the left side of the bulkhead. She handles like a PIG now, have to crank up the spring preload on my zero pros and see what it's like!:face-icon-small-dis

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I should have kept my mouth (keyboard) shut lol, I joined the no-swaybar club last weekend! Not intentionally though....
I landed hard on the left ski, and heard a horrible snapping noise... snapped the sway bar at the left side of the bulkhead. She handles like a PIG now, have to crank up the spring preload on my zero pros and see what it's like!:face-icon-small-dis

You still had the swaybar?:eek::eek::eek:

That was the VERY FIRST thing I removed on mine and I never looked back... it does roll a bit though, but I like it that way, except on down hill turns it likes to dive to the outside until I can get it pulled up.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
You still had the swaybar?:eek::eek::eek:

That was the VERY FIRST thing I removed on mine and I never looked back... it does roll a bit though, but I like it that way, except on down hill turns it likes to dive to the outside until I can get it pulled up.

I really and truly hated it. There was nothing it did better, and soooo many things that made my last 2 days more difficult

NDRMK

Premium Member
Mar 3, 2008
North Dakota
I have ran stock, dived to sides too much. Added fox floats fixed diving. Now sway bar in, sway bar out, carls sway bar in?? Bottom line you have to like how it handles! Runin with one, but not too sure I will leave it in! Main thing is replace those base rmk shocks and skis while your are at it!:face-icon-small-hap

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
I really and truly hated it. There was nothing it did better, and soooo many things that made my last 2 days more difficult

It has to be set up to run without a swaybar. Shocks set to run with a swaybar won't work worth a damn without one.

Premium Features