• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A lemon that I can't fix... (2022 Boost)

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
Hey Snowest. Need some help....

Long story short I bought a 2022 boost when they first came out a few years back. Though I've only put about 1,100 miles on it, I've started having a substantial number of problems. Though I consider myself mechanically inclined and am generally good at diagnosing/fixing stuff, I could really use the collective's help on this one. I'm first going to give a run down of the symptoms I'm seeing, then I'll go through the story.

From about 75%-100% pin I'm getting the following... Its worse the higher the load gets.
  1. Strange harmonics "wawawa" (say it out loud) "harmonics" sound at full wide open. (see video below in at ~51 seconds for a good example of this)
  2. Motor feels soft wide open.
  3. Motor feels like its losing extensive power after multiple "short" pulls and RPM comes way back in. Sometimes won't get above 6,500 RPM (see video in comments)
  4. I did get one det code in the very short ride I just did
  5. I also got one "code start injector 1" code.
  6. Worse in ethanol mode than non-ethanol mode
Long story long, I had the crank seal replaced by my dealer. When I brought it to them, outside the seal, it was running fine. From then to now the sled has not run okay and I've chased one problem after the next. The latest round of work (by me) included the following...
  1. Throttle body boot replaced (I'm now I'm on a CNC Silber variant).
  2. Moved the actuator arm forward on the overstructure so it seated in the wastegate properly.
  3. Brake pads (I doubt this has anything to do with anything, but they are getting hot AF)
  4. Secondary clutch spring
Prior to this round of work the only symptom I had was low boost. The motor sounded fine, no weird harmonics sound and it otherwise seemed to run okay.
I'm totally baffled.

A@ron

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2017
Wisconsin
Leak down test can confirm healthy top end, you didn’t by chance check the reeds when you replaced the TB boots did ya? If not I’d check them. Check for boost/exhaust leaks and I’d refer to the service manual regarding that injector code. Unfortunately there is so many possibilities. Good luck and I look forward to hearing what you find.

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
Leak down test can confirm healthy top end, you didn’t by chance check the reeds when you replaced the TB boots did ya? If not I’d check them. Check for boost/exhaust leaks and I’d refer to the service manual regarding that injector code. Unfortunately there is so many possibilities. Good luck and I look forward to hearing what you find.
Reeds were just checked too.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
Sounds pig rich do you know anyone with a AFR setup ?
Your in Victor ID ?? Try Eric at the racin station.
If not try Marc at Napa he has a friend in Idaho Falls that might rent his, through the Napa store.

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
Sounds pig rich do you know anyone with a AFR setup ?
Your in Victor ID ?? Try Eric at the racin station.
If not try Marc at Napa he has a friend in Idaho Falls that might rent his, through the Napa store.
It can be pig rich at times then act incredibly lean at other times. I'm not sure an AFR would do much besides tell us the obvious.

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
Check your afr like slash said to know your fueling is right.... might be that injector code...Did you check your plugs after a bad bog to see if one of the plugs is wet? Swap clutches with a good running sled to rule out those. Low boost was before you swapped the collapsing intake problem?

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
Check your afr like slash said to know your fueling is right.... might be that injector code...Did you check your plugs after a bad bog to see if one of the plugs is wet? Swap clutches with a good running sled to rule out those. Low boost was before you swapped the collapsing intake problem?
I haven't had the collapsing intake issue (or I don't think I have?). Low boost was purely due to the actuator rod (see TRS thread for info on that).

I hate chasing these kind of gremlins. Thx to everyone for their help thus far!

blkspd

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
BORING OR
Check and make sure both of your valves are opening . You could have a broken screw one one of them . Easy to see if you use a mirror . #2 screw #10 valve.valve.jpg

KickAspiratedTurbskis

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2024
Those exhaust valve cables are notorious for breaking but. Other than the filter in the tank there is no filtration on your fuel lines. I’d place money on a clogged injector…..

D

Daner1978

Nov 26, 2022
Cottonwood Heights Utah
Hey Snowest. Need some help....

Long story short I bought a 2022 boost when they first came out a few years back. Though I've only put about 1,100 miles on it, I've started having a substantial number of problems. Though I consider myself mechanically inclined and am generally good at diagnosing/fixing stuff, I could really use the collective's help on this one. I'm first going to give a run down of the symptoms I'm seeing, then I'll go through the story.

From about 75%-100% pin I'm getting the following... Its worse the higher the load gets.
  1. Strange harmonics "wawawa" (say it out loud) "harmonics" sound at full wide open. (see video below in at ~51 seconds for a good example of this)
  2. Motor feels soft wide open.
  3. Motor feels like its losing extensive power after multiple "short" pulls and RPM comes way back in. Sometimes won't get above 6,500 RPM (see video in comments)
  4. I did get one det code in the very short ride I just did
  5. I also got one "code start injector 1" code.
  6. Worse in ethanol mode than non-ethanol mode
Long story long, I had the crank seal replaced by my dealer. When I brought it to them, outside the seal, it was running fine. From then to now the sled has not run okay and I've chased one problem after the next. The latest round of work (by me) included the following...
  1. Throttle body boot replaced (I'm now I'm on a CNC Silber variant).
  2. Moved the actuator arm forward on the overstructure so it seated in the wastegate properly.
  3. Brake pads (I doubt this has anything to do with anything, but they are getting hot AF)
  4. Secondary clutch spring
Prior to this round of work the only symptom I had was low boost. The motor sounded fine, no weird harmonics sound and it otherwise seemed to run okay.
I'm totally baffled.

Sounds like you might have a bad injector….? 🤷🏼‍♂️

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Do injectors, it fixed 3 22 boost in our group last years Same issues.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
How to fix it 2025 and don’t look back life’s to short to put up with a lame product or service on a toy that is bought to have fun with. May a deep snow storm find you.

Premium Features