• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A lemon that I can't fix... (2022 Boost)

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I did the E.V. and wastegate actuator relearn. This made a substantial improvement. However, there is still something going on under high load (deep snow) and full WOT. There is this "waaaa waaaa waaa" type of sound and it does seem to be limiting net output. You can see an example of this in the video I posted at about 51 seconds. The good news is I can't get it to do this in a field anymore either, just (again) under fullllll load and deep snow.

I'm going to do the relearn one more time when the sled is to full operating temp to see if it doesn't improve.

Otherwise I'm betting on an injector.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
But its gone and no headache I had a Polaris 900 that had 400 miles on it sold it for 3500 because it was a pile.
I went the other way and bought the rt1000. Made my dealer take it on trade since nobody wanted them. He said "you son of a b!tch". I just laughed. I went all out on my next sled. I deserved a good sled after riding that for a year.

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
I have found on mountain sleds anything over 1,000 miles and you are on borrowed time. Fix one issue and shortly after you’ll get a new one to deal with. It sucks but that’s been my experience.
I had a 2013 800 pro with a BD turbo on it that I put 2100 miles on and never had to do anything except one set of reeds. I sure can’t say that about my last 4 850s

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
Clutching all good.

To the "sell it, its high miles", I have to say that feels *insane* but you all are likely right. I usually flip my sled every year but my life has taken a little different direction where I've left job stability to build my own company. I know, turbo people problems and no job stability don't go hand in hand lol.

Ultimately, I feel Polaris does have some real work to do. We all know this. What is absolutely infuriating is how they keep screwing up the stuff that was previously figured out. I'll probably start a new thread to see what others have to say, but fuel pumps, injectors, brakes, p-22 clutch engineering, exhaust valves, connecting the throttle body to the motor etc are all solved problems.

In the words of someone much smarter than me - "you get zero points for reinventing the wheel". Polaris ought to know this.

C
Dec 14, 2020
I have found on mountain sleds anything over 1,000 miles and you are on borrowed time. Fix one issue and shortly after you’ll get a new one to deal with. It sucks but that’s been my experience.

Yet I see rentals go 5000+ Miles with minimal maintenance.

I think most people blow it out of proportion. It's mechanical, things can break.

Now, sometimes it's because you beat it to death. Other times it's just a crap part.

In his instance I'd bet he's dealing with a dirty injector from dirty fuel. Why Polaris can't use a $15 off the shelf high pressure fuel filter is beyond me. However, I'd bet they have a low enough failure rate to not bother.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
Yet I see rentals go 5000+ Miles with minimal maintenance.

I think most people blow it out of proportion. It's mechanical, things can break.

Now, sometimes it's because you beat it to death. Other times it's just a crap part.

In his instance I'd bet he's dealing with a dirty injector from dirty fuel. Why Polaris can't use a $15 off the shelf high pressure fuel filter is beyond me. However, I'd bet they have a low enough failure rate to not bother.
I’m sure many can go several thousand miles without issue. Just for me personally I don’t want to take the chance. The season is short and good snow days are few and far between many issues can be very hard for dealers to fix because they can’t go drive them around in the back lot to diagnose.

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
I had a very similar problem last season. Polaris initially said it was a det sensor even though the dealership mechanic swore it was injectors. That did nothing. Then Polaris told the dealership to check the throttle body boots and reeds even though the mechanic kept saying injectors. The reeds and boots were good so Polaris told them to pull the top end. Pistons and cylinders looked good, ring end gap a bit big. Polaris told them to put in pistons and a cylinder but not injectors. The compression when I took it in was only about 3 psi less than when it had 100 miles on it. The mechanic put in new primary injectors anyways and now it runs great. Sled had 1800 miles on it when I took it in with the issues. My guess is it’s injectors.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Have you removed and cleaned the power valves?

Premium Features