• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Introducing A.R.C. from Skinz Protective Gear

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
Thanks for your patience and hope everyone enjoys the product! This year, the Mountain sleds will be offered including XM, Pro RMK, ProClimb and FX Nytro MTX. The crossover/trail sleds will be available next year so if you were waiting on that you'll just have to be a little more patient.

Retail: $1249.95

We are taking deposits of $200 non-refundable which will get you one of the first kits in Fall 2013.

http://www.sledsolutions.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=1353

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
hmm..over 1200 bucks...that's getting in real aftermarket suspension territory already proven

.well if nothing good to say then im keeping my mouth shut...

J

Jorli

Jul 13, 2009
www.highmarkfilms.com
Brilliant product, revolutionary is right. This could definitely be a game changer. This is maybe one of the smartest ideas I've seen so far, I would imagine it would give a mountain sled the qualities of a snocross sled and thats huge for big mountain riders.

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
Very very interesting, and a cool idea. Concerns would be price, you can buy the entire shock, lever, and cable for less than $480.00 at retail pricing. I understand there are still a couple other parts in the kit, and each shock probably has to be valved diff for sleds vs. bikes but the shock and control is the expensive part, and I would assume Fox would make a valving just for this application for Skinz. Like stated above, you are approaching complete suspension setups with tune-ability already in place and proven. The other main issue I see is the actual cable running to the shock, I would love to see detailed mounting pics and where the cable is run…at some point the cable has to come away from a rail or suspension arm and have a couple inches of free cable to run around the track and into the chassis. I would assume this would leave a place to hook the cable with a branch or something else. Detailed pics of this routing would be incredible!

But yes super cool idea, love the ingenuity, just need more pics and info to go along with what we got here. Would be nice to see the entire setup on dry ground going through compression both coupled and non-coupled. It is hard to see what is actually happening in video with the skid. I understand the idea, and yes you can see the one kid clicking the lever, but we don't actually see what the skid is doing, or for that matter if the lever is even hooked up. For all the consumer knows the sled is still bone stock and it is just being ridden…. thanks! Look forward to seeing more info come along on this kit!!

www.BLOWNMOTOR.com

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
Looks like something I had 10 years ago that Holz once sold......minus the handlebar adjust. Which is just a current Mountain bike shock with total "lock up". Not that "revolutionary" for $1250......lol

CM

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
Looks like something I had 10 years ago that Holz once sold......minus the handlebar adjust. Which is just a current Mountain bike shock with total "lock up". Not that "revolutionary" for $1250......lol

CM

Was thinking the exact same thing Climbmax, as seen on my Turbo 900 here…

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
Brilliant product, revolutionary is right. This could definitely be a game changer. This is maybe one of the smartest ideas I've seen so far, I would imagine it would give a mountain sled the qualities of a snocross sled and thats huge for big mountain riders.

:rockon:

hmm..over 1200 bucks...that's getting in real aftermarket suspension territory already proven

.well if nothing good to say then im keeping my mouth shut...

You must be VERY successful in life M8.

Interesting, but how can this thing not possibly freeze up being cable operated?

There could be some scenarios that this could load up and freeze but NOTHING is fool proof. They had this out all winter in very cold, 15-20 below in Colorado to spring type temps. Every day they let it just be what it would be and Skinz could actuate the lever without any problems. The customer will have to take care of it and be mindful of the conditions they are in. .

Very very interesting, and a cool idea. Concerns would be price, you can buy the entire shock, lever, and cable for less than $480.00 at retail pricing. I understand there are still a couple other parts in the kit, and each shock probably has to be valved diff for sleds vs. bikes but the shock and control is the expensive part, and I would assume Fox would make a valving just for this application for Skinz. Like stated above, you are approaching complete suspension setups with tune-ability already in place and proven. The other main issue I see is the actual cable running to the shock, I would love to see detailed mounting pics and where the cable is run…at some point the cable has to come away from a rail or suspension arm and have a couple inches of free cable to run around the track and into the chassis. I would assume this would leave a place to hook the cable with a branch or something else. Detailed pics of this routing would be incredible!

But yes super cool idea, love the ingenuity, just need more pics and info to go along with what we got here. Would be nice to see the entire setup on dry ground going through compression both coupled and non-coupled. It is hard to see what is actually happening in video with the skid. I understand the idea, and yes you can see the one kid clicking the lever, but we don't actually see what the skid is doing, or for that matter if the lever is even hooked up. For all the consumer knows the sled is still bone stock and it is just being ridden…. thanks! Look forward to seeing more info come along on this kit!!

www.BLOWNMOTOR.com

Was thinking the exact same thing Climbmax, as seen on my Turbo 900 here…

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums
/vv200/ShaneSSI/Turbo011-1_zpse75b495f.jpg

We are hoping to set up this scenario for Haydays where you can run the system through it's motions. We will have all 4 brands set up in our booth where you will be able to see the whole package together. At this point I'm hoping to video this and post it up for all to see.

Not familiar with the Holz set up from years back but obviously something didn't work or it will still be on the market. Plus I believe the key feature here is adjustablity on the fly.

Last edited:
R

rbanan

Mar 7, 2009
Sweden
I have a question, on the softest setting, does it still prevent the rear suspension to move independently from the front track shock or does it still couple the suspension?

Mtn. Muncher

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
The problem I see is this. We have been making coupling suspensions for a while now and our biggest challenge is to make the parts within the suspension tuff enough. When you couple a suspension it put a lot of load through the rear suspension arm and through the tunnel to make the coupling action work. I am not so sure the stock parts are up to this task. The other problem we run into is binding and over centering the suspension at curtain points of travel causing it to lock up or go totally soft. These are all thing that we have had to address to have a properly functioning coupling skid. These are things that we are not able to achieve with the stock parts.

<O:p</O:pOn the old HOLZ design I believe they used that added shock to increase compression rate for a racing application and to eliminate suspension sag. I can see the new Skinz design helping with that if there shock truly has a spring rate to it. If it is not, and is used as a lock out device then I predict that there will be some future durability problems with the stock parts.

<O:p</O:pJust my opinion.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Allen from Timbersled<O:p</O:p

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
The problem I see is this. We have been making coupling suspensions for a while now and our biggest challenge is to make the parts within the suspension tuff enough. When you couple a suspension it put a lot of load through the rear suspension arm and through the tunnel to make the coupling action work. I am not so sure the stock parts are up to this task. The other problem we run into is binding and over centering the suspension at curtain points of travel causing it to lock up or go totally soft. These are all thing that we have had to address to have a properly functioning coupling skid. These are things that we are not able to achieve with the stock parts.

<O:p</O:p to eliminate suspension sag. I can see the new Skinz design helping with that if there shock truly has a spring rate to it. If it is not, and is used as a lock out device then I predict that there will be some future durability problems with the stock parts.

Good points Allen. The Poo tunnel is a little more flimsy for a coupling susp compared to years past. The susp arm have become lighter = not as durable as past OE stuff. However, the existing aftermarket and extinct OE coupling suspension were all "positive stop" (lack of a better term) style.... where use of the CTD fox shock can be tuned for spring and ramp to soften the coupling action..... which one would suspect; makes life easier on the wimpy rear arm, scissor and tunnel? (speaking of Poo, not trying to offend you Cat guys. Your tunnels are not wimpy, they are of Rock Star material!) :face-icon-small-ton

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
I have a question, on the softest setting, does it still prevent the rear suspension to move independently from the front track shock or does it still couple the suspension?

With the lever in the disengaged position it will be UNCOUPLED.

<O:p</O:pOn the old HOLZ design I believe they used that added shock to increase compression rate for a racing application and to eliminate suspension sag. I can see the new Skinz design helping with that if there shock truly has a spring rate to it. If it is not, and is used as a lock out device then I predict that there will be some future durability problems with the stock parts.

Allen,

I hear what you're saying and based on the knowledge Skinz has this has been taken into consideration. The new arms are pretty stout with gusts welded into "key" places. The shock doesn't "lock out" rather increase resist against the the rear arm which couples the skid.

SPG ARC Component Pic (2).jpg

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
We are hoping to set up this scenario for Haydays where you can run the system through it's motions. We will have all 4 brands set up in our booth where you will be able to see the whole package together. At this point I'm hoping to video this and post it up for all to see.

Not familiar with the Holz set up from years back but obviously something didn't work or it will still be on the market. Plus I believe the key feature here is adjustablity on the fly.

Sounds great, I look forward to seeing it. I think we have two booths next to you guys again this year so should be easy to wander over! In the mean time any way to get a picture of where the cable comes away from the skid and rails and gets into the chassis to run up to the bars??

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The shock doesn't "lock out" rather increase resist against the the rear arm which couples the skid.

Just got off the phone with Jeff at SPG. We've been talking about this since last year on and off.
The CTD shocks, in the "C" postion (Climb) actually locks out the compression side of the valving. The shock can extend on the rebound side fully, but is locked out from compressing. There is a little "give" as the IFP is moved against the nitrogen charge behind it.

It is not a simple soft/medium/firm setting... it would be a soft/medium/locked setting.

The approach is novel and has promise for sure. SPG does not go into things lightly and on "whim" .. It is not simply a MTB shock dropped into the kit. Unlike the HOLZ unit above (which was discontinued by them by choice) , that relied on high air-spring pressures to limit the scissor from "hinging" there really is not that much air-spring force (average 30psi) in the spring chamber of the ARC.

I'm not sure how much the "soft" and "medium" positions will have over the control of coupling... as that will only affect the rate at which it will allow the scissor to move rather than the amount that it moves. With the lockout position, that will keep the scissor in the upright position and couple the suspension.

I do believe, as with any coupled design, that the tunnel should be reinforced as this will bear an increased load while coupled and encountering rough terrain.

Should be an interesting year for pushing the envelope on many fronts.

MH

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
The down side to riding a mountain sled in a deep snow state with little in the way of mountains to play on is a little more trail riding.

I am excited to use this product personally as here in the Midwest. It will be nice to couple the suspension and have a sled that will handle on the trail and then when I get where I'm playing I can uncouple it.

Last edited:
Premium Features