• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hyfax Rail Fastener

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Heres one that pulled out.

Theres another guy who said his came off, head still on screw. No pics. Not sure if that one pulled out or the hyfax split.
View attachment 415676
Thats a screenshot from video explaining what happened. They don’t have any video of the screw still in the rail but explain that it just pulled through and then put a washer on the screw and reused it.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
A hyfax is pliable.
Tighten to torque specs, beat on it, it’s gonna give.

Old hyfax didn’t get beat on with rail tips to protect primary impact.

Chadly obviously had hyfax that wasn’t extending too far into track as has been a mentioned variable as well.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
A hyfax is pliable.
Tighten to torque specs, beat on it, it’s gonna give.

Old hyfax didn’t get beat on with rail tips to protect primary impact.

Chadly obviously had hyfax that wasn’t extending too far into track as has been a mentioned variable as well.

We ran without rail tips for years with anti ratchet drivers and never a mark.

All The 22’s I have looked at have the rail caps beat to dogmeat.

What’s interesting to me is there are no retention ridges on the top of the hifax in the location of the fastener. Does anyone have a hifax pic of a 22 or 23?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
The only picture in this thread was the screw sheared off. The other one look like ot was pulled through the screw. I just don't believe half the idiots on the forum. These are the same guys who said they had aftermarket turbos that were pull and go that ran 100% flawless. 🤣

Mine was and still is. But it’s an Axys and way better than a lag ridden boat anchor.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
But now it’s lengthen the limiter and shove the track down to a harsher angle in the name of playfulness.

Guessing you were running a shallower approach to get on top.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Hence me asking the question dumby. I never said I had the solution or knew what the cause was. What I do know is I haven't had any issue since I followed the Polaris "fix." I was just curious if anyone has actually had a failure after doing this because I don't want to lose my track way back in the woods.
If your hyfax came off, you wouldn’t lose a track. You would lose a hyfax. Your statement is poor and poorly worded you dumby.

U
Jan 19, 2024
Ishpeming MI
I checked the torque in the retaining screws before I left my shop. I Cut a radius into leading edge of each hyfax. I Rode sled for 7.6 miles. I Found hyfax ejected from rail.

No matter how many crayons Chadly threatens to use and eat, it’s a piss poor design.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Here are some pictures of my 22 Matryx and they look perfect. But of course, Chad will say it’s because I don’t know how to ride.

But whatever that’s what friends are for right🤔

IMG_3688.jpegIMG_3689.jpegIMG_3690.jpeg

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Tight screws can shear. A loose screw is much more likely to shear is all I'm saying. A tight screw also uses the friction between the two parts to keep everything fastened. That's how a screw works. I do know Dealers who have had zero issues after torquing them and also someone who has a bunch of rental sleds that has had zero issues after torquing them. You guys go waste the time and money on the almighty fix. I'm keep rolling my stock junk.
We all understand the clamping force of a screw buddy.

If I had a 24 I would torque that screw (yes it’s important) and put tips on (more important). Most guys probably won’t ever have an issue, especially if they don’t ride real hard or early season. Personally I would spend the $80ish dollars to altogether avoid a bad day on the mountain. You don’t have to, I don’t care 🤷🏼‍♂️

H
Oct 14, 2009
Appleton Maine
Add another victim to the list. Torqued to spec's first ride ripped the left side hyfax out. Looked at it at lunch time, both hyfax in tact, 8 miles to truck hyfax gone and a little wear on the bend of the rail. Stopped at dealer, they said they havent heard of any issues. I just started to laugh. Ordered the supposed fix from Ice Age. The guys that have installed that are not having issues Im assuming? Are the guys that are just cutting or filing off the end of the hyfax having any issues? Is that working?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Add another victim to the list. Torqued to spec's first ride ripped the left side hyfax out. Looked at it at lunch time, both hyfax in tact, 8 miles to truck hyfax gone and a little wear on the bend of the rail. Stopped at dealer, they said they havent heard of any issues. I just started to laugh. Ordered the supposed fix from Ice Age. The guys that have installed that are not having issues Im assuming? Are the guys that are just cutting or filing off the end of the hyfax having any issues? Is that working?
You torqued it yourself?

U
Jan 19, 2024
Ishpeming MI
Just got my sled back from dealer with new rail, new hyfax, and new Ice Age rail cap kit. Took about a month. Dealer didn't charge me to install Ice Age kit, and has been decent to work with. Talked with owner of dealership; he encouraged me to push on Polaris customer service. Literally threw up his hands and said there wasn't much he could do to push for a fix from Polaris. We have had the worst winter on record, so very little riding here. I ran my 9R around a trail on my property for a mile or so, and the hyfax survived that trip, but we have only a little bit of very icy hard pack snow. Snow conditions need to improve before I can get the thing through break in and verify the Ice Age fix is indeed a fix.

H
Oct 14, 2009
Appleton Maine
yep same here. low snow conditions couple feet tops here. Should I of ridden it? nope, but been sitting in basement since I picked the snowcheck and I wanted to burn the gallon or two of gas out of it the dealer put in it for the summer. First ride, and yes torqued myself in the shop when it all started happening. I did not cut the hyfax ends off that stick out beyond the rail. I am going to install the IceAge kit once i get that so will be chopping it anyway but was just wondering if the guys that shaved the hyfax ends off were having issues or are they all good?

U
Jan 19, 2024
Ishpeming MI
yep same here. low snow conditions couple feet tops here. Should I of ridden it? nope, but been sitting in basement since I picked the snowcheck and I wanted to burn the gallon or two of gas out of it the dealer put in it for the summer. First ride, and yes torqued myself in the shop when it all started happening. I did not cut the hyfax ends off that stick out beyond the rail. I am going to install the IceAge kit once i get that so will be chopping it anyway but was just wondering if the guys that shaved the hyfax ends off were having issues or are they all good?
I cut a radius in mine. Torqued screws. Didn’t matter. Tore off hyfax within 7.6 miles, which was total on odometer on sled.

Premium Features