• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rear Torque Arm Lower Grease Fitting No Go!

F
Dec 30, 2019
I've had three Matryx sleds in my garage to date. 2023 Boost Pro 165, 2024 850 Pro 165, and 2023 9R Khaos 165. None of the 3 sleds would accept grease through the bottom fitting on the rear torque arm. In all three cases when you removed the fitting, there was solid metal in behind and a hole needed to be drilled before you could pump in grease. I reported this to Polaris. Polaris said "If there's a fitting it should accept grease, and if it does not, the fitting may need to be changed and you should take the vehicle to an authorized Polaris dealer". Well the very first thing I tried on sled #1 was test and even replaced the fitting to be sure. I was just trying to make them aware there's an issue. I mean I've encountered only 3 Matryx sleds and all 3 were affected, so pretty sure there must be more. (Wish I would have thought to take a picture of the solid metal before drilling). Finally someone called me from Polaris and we had a 10 minute conversation. The guy said he would pass along the information. Just thought I would post it up here as well...

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

F
Jan 3, 2008
I bought a used 2009 550 fanner a while back and had the same problem and had to drill it out as well. Shows me the previous owner didn’t have much ambition or care. On a similar topic I don’t understand why Polaris doesn’t use 45 degree or 90 degree zerks in some cases where straights are hard to access. I end up switching them out myself to make it easier to grease.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
Have somebody sit on it and move the suspension up and down and they’ll be a sweet spot where it takes the grease. Happens all the time.

Tewstroke

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2008
Yakima,WA
I bought a used 2009 550 fanner a while back and had the same problem and had to drill it out as well. Shows me the previous owner didn’t have much ambition or care. On a similar topic I don’t understand why Polaris doesn’t use 45 degree or 90 degree zerks in some cases where straights are hard to access. I end up switching them out myself to make it easier to grease.
A 45 or 90 degree zerk would cost 5 cents more, so the bean counters win again!

KStrand

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 25, 2010
MN
Have had same issue on our latest sleds, we just have someone pick the back end up and hold it off the ground and then it would take grease.

F
Dec 30, 2019
Have had same issue on our latest sleds, we just have someone pick the back end up and hold it off the ground and then it would take grease.

In my case, upon removing the fitting, there was solid metal in behind. There was literally no hole in the torque arm behind the fitting. The only way grease was going in was to drill.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
His picture drilling the hole tells the story. The shaft didn't have a hole drilled in it prior to the "bung" being welded to the shaft. The zerk can thread into the bung, but there's nowhere for the grease to go.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Polaris scam. No grease, all wear. Need to purchase new parts which generates income. Example-doo gen 4 uses 3x more oil than any other brands. scam to sell oil. With the number of g4 sleds, I bet cranking up the oil pump earned brp over $10,000,000. its a gift that keeps on giving.

Last edited:
Premium Features