• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hyfax Rail Fastener

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
And the ones where the screw is still there but the hyfax tore out of it?
Cuz you didn’t explain that….

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
It would be nice if we could go back ten years. Back when we were all civil to each other on social media.
I question why I come here everyday to witness such disrespect to our brothers and sisters of the sport.
Many have moved on from this historic platform, which at one time was chocked full of helpful information.
Money doesn’t buy respect. Respect is earned.
Old adage from high school. Those who don’t talk “do”, and those who talk “don’t do”.
I may take a leave of absence from SW. I’m getting tired of the name calling.
I’ve had conversations with moderators on this subject without recourse. A few are going to kill a great platform.

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
If you don't know how a screw works please refrain from making comments. Thank you.
Back on topic. Your head may be huge but your brain isn’t if you think this is a screw issue. It’s track clips hammering the front of a squared off hyfax. I understand to some degree the argument that this doesn’t happen under normal operating conditions… but hitting something under the snow has never resulted in a ripped off hyfax until 2024. It’s a design flaw. Period. Will Polaris release a bulletin/recall? I doubt it. Should they? Probably… but then again the “under normal operating conditions” argument comes into play, and 2024 owners are gonna just be SOL. Put the iceage kit on and get over it if you’re worried about it. Polaris isn’t gonna do chit, but I bet the 2025s have rail caps ;)

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
There are guys who have torn hyfaxes off, and the bolt has remained intact.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
The hyfax strength is not what holds the hyfax on. They would use a shear pin if that was the case and not a screw. You obviously don't know how a screw works... I'll refrain from calling you more names so I don't chase off the sensitive guys around here.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.

I don’t mean to get in between you two love birds but…..Generally in most cases, when a fastener fails (in this case the head) the fastener wasn’t properly torqued.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I don’t mean to get in between you two love birds but…..Generally in most cases, when a fastener fails (in this case the head) the fastener wasn’t properly torqued.
And when the head is intact?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
There’s obviously more going on with this issue than simply a loose fastener. However, it’s definitely a factor. The location bothers me as a function of force. Seeing threads protruding out the side of rails and front of hyfaxes bothers me even more.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
It’s also possible it was properly torqued and the force tore the hyfax off.

Shear bolt….can be any fastener weaker than whatever you are protecting.
For a shear bolt to function properly it has to be tight.
We have applications where a loose sheer bolt will damage the pieces it’s meant to protect.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Ok. So is it possible the fastener wasn’t properly torqued, there was not enough retention and the force split the hyfax and allowed the ejection with the full fastener still in tact?
Yeah. Possible that the fastener was properly torqued and the hammering of the track clips just ripped the thing off? Yeah.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I should clarify, this is a pic of this event and not something you heard? Can you post the pic here? I’m curious to see it
Heres one that pulled out.

Theres another guy who said his came off, head still on screw. No pics. Not sure if that one pulled out or the hyfax split.
IMG_7145.jpeg

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Go back to beginning of this thread first page madmax mentions track hammering hyfax loose from tight screws.
Madmax is a dealer who shares a lot of good info from a lot of hands on.

Premium Features