• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do 509 goggles suck?

H1Pilot

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I've had my 509 black/chrome goggles for 1 year or 8 rides and the lenses are scratched or marred all over. I was so excited for these new goggles and really liked the initial view. I even bought a different helmet to wear with them since they did not work with my Aria Helmet.

1st ride out this season, I noticed they were getting harder to see through as I was trying to clear them with my finger squeegie. I ended up pulling out my 10 year old spare Scott Turbo Flow that had been bouncing around my backpack and they worked as usual. I inspected the lenses on all of my families goggles, of which I have have had for a number of years, and they were all in much better condition than my new 509's.

On my second ride for the season, another rider mentioned his 509 lenses were scratched up as well, so I figured I'd post the question to the forum. Any insight?

2013-01-08_09-22-23_996[1].jpg 2013-01-08_09-22-57_279[1].jpg

Last edited:

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I've had great performance from my 509's, especially with venting/fogging . I have the first generation and the improved foam on the next gens. My first suggestion is to get rid of the chrome lenses, regular tints provide much better vision.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I like mine for the most part but your right the lenses do scratch rather easy, and I have boughten 4 differnt ones from them but all of them seem to scratch easily.:face-icon-small-fro

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
"ALL goggles suck", that being said I carry two sets of 509's, both polarized, one smoked, one yellow, neither mirrored, and neither one are scratched. I think the mirrored look is cool, I don't think it can take multiple wipes (with glove or squeegie) unless wiping with micro fiber soft cloth or similar it will scratch eventually.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
I don't have a very high regard for the 509 sins either. All my lenses mirrored or not are all heavily marred and scratched. I like the fit and comfort of the goggles but the lenses IMO are very low quality.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Three seasons on first set of lenses...not an issue...

M
Feb 28, 2011
MT Lassen
They work great for me. I'm using both styles with multiple different lenses. I have found that the mirrored style lenses do scratch easier. I consider lenses a consumable just like gas and oil though.

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
Depends who you talk too, all my friends hate their 509s with firery passion, the odd one or two loves em, I run scotts and they are the best pair ive had.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I've been through a lot of goggles, used to ski as well. I've settled with Oakley O frames and 509s. The 509s I struggled with, then got a new helmet and ditched the mirrored lens for the polarized. The lens that came on the 509s, when I removed them, had plastic blocking the ventilated foam on the top. No wonder I fogged up the minute I put them on. New polarized haven't fogged once in 3 rides in teens, 20's and 30's temps. I will agree that the mirrored lens looks cool but once scratches start happening, the clarity goes south.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
I hate to be hard on a local snowmobiling company but I had lots of trouble fogging with mine and ditched them for my old trusty smiths. Now the 509s are 4 wheeling goggles.

TS Drag Racer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Wa. st
Have 2 pairs of 509's, I like them ok. They do seem to scratch pretty easy and far as fogging, I'd say their the same as most goggles on the market I've tried many. Bought a new pair of no fog Klims, and they fog up just as bad or worse.:face-icon-small-dis

northof40

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Saskatchewan
I really like my 509's. Im on my 5th season on a set of mirrored lenses and for the first 3 years they were my primary set, its all about how you take care of them. If mine are not on my face they are in the soft bag. If you keep your paws off the lenses (whatever brand) they will last a long time. Aviators are a bit harder since then dont have the outer frame.

Also i run a HJC nose piece in my helmet and have no problem fogging unless i get snow inside the goggles, then they will fog when im not moving but i havent had a set that wont.

W
Feb 26, 2012
racine,wi.
i have 509 and scott and i more often take my scotts over the 509,the 509s work great when paired with their helmet but i like my fly helmet over my 509,as far as scratching goes they all scratch easy imo,just got used to putting new lenses in every season.

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
In our opinion, the 509 is definitely one of the superior goggles on the market, and we carry over 20 brands. With that said goggle longevity and function is directly related to how they are stored, kept, and treated.

We have found that chrome or mirrored lenses do tend to scratch a bit easier and wear off with multiple cleanings with something other than the goggle bag. Even then goggle bags can hold sharp substances in them and scratch. We have had the best life cycles out of the clear, tints, or polarized.

Also, food for thought, many of the "defogging" rags and spray chemicals actually remove defogging material from lenses. The chemicals that are used in these just seem to make what comes on the goggles rub off. It is our opinion this is why many of the optic companies out there do not make there own anti fogging spray etc.

With all of this said, 509 has proven to be a great product for us, and we will continue to push them, as they stand behind there products and in our opinion put out one of the leading goggles in the industry at an affordable price, with many options.

skunk75

Premium Member
Dec 29, 2008
Wyoming
Purchased 10 pair last winter for the family at christmas time. Zero pair are still in use. All have went back to their smith, scott, oakley and dragons.

Premium Features