• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do 509 goggles suck?

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Tell ya what, I will take one for the team here.

Everyone who has 509 goggles and or lids sitting around they don't like pm me for a shipping address and I will bear that burden for ya.

adairtd1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2011
La Grande, Oregon
I prefer my 509 aviators over any goggle I have tried yet. I like the set of Klim radius goggles I have as we'll, but I still don't think they are nearly as good as my aviators. I usually wear glasses underneath as well, and as far as my glasses not fogging up the aviators just work perfect for me, better than any others at least.

ronniehotdogg

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
509 Goggles have won our vote. We looked and used many other goggles and helmets and found that the 509 product stood out to be the best by far. So now we only carry the 509 helmet and goggle line.

www.xxxmodrods.com

i one thing here that seems most constant is the chromed lens is junk
so why put it in so many of your options
every one i ride with has scrapped there 509s that i pushed them to buy because of the scratching and freezing fog issue

wonder if 509 has stopped to look at the lens its self maybe a design flaw on the fogging and if the chrome is so fragile id drop it from the line up

maybe offer a warranty lens in NON chrome for those displeased

great customer service for me
and i love the fit of the goggles

just hate the lens

and yes ive taken care of them

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
i only wear my 509s in sask where its dry and cold becuase of the large foam and nose guard. I want to throw them away in b.c. they fog all the time, the nose piece like funnels my breath up into them. take it off they still fog.

I wear dragon dx moto cross goggles with a dual lens in B.C. i has a long strap with silicone in it as well as the face foam it thick with a fleece liner that touches your face. By far the best set up ive used, one day it rained and i would just lift my goggles up under my visor when i would stop and i had dry fog free goggles all day. guys were having to stop constantly and put their goggles under their hoods.

my opinion they are a new company with a good design but scott and smith have been around for a long time and now offer large face foam to seal the cold out and a nose guard to keep the wind off it. I now see spy makes snowmobile goggles too.

I also cant stand the 509 helmet with the 509 goggles....i pull my goggles over the mount guard and then put the helmet on, make sure my balaclavas sitting right then pull the goggles up over my face, with the 509 helmet and goggles the damn nose guards on them both make this task super annoying and you have to like twist the goggles in. I now wear a different helmet.

S

shmuckaluck

Aug 20, 2001
Federal Way, Washington
Hey guys,
I think the fogging issue has a lot to do with your head, I have friends that seem to have hot heads and every goggle fogs on them, I never have an issue with goggles fogging, I have 509, dragon, and the best pair I've ever owned Quicksilver had them for about 10 years, they just don't fit in my new helmet. My head just doesn't get very hot and when I put my goggles on I usually leave them on all day, I don't take them off every time I stop. And the 509s do scratch up easy.

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
I own at least 6 pair of 509s. They are the best goggles I've ever ridden with. The polarized Aviators rock! If you log hard in the trees you can expect scratches...i.e. character marks! Don't wipe your goggles with iced gloves!

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012
I would have to say that while I haven't had an issue with scratching yet, the fogging became a little annoying after awhile. Granted, this primarily happened once I had dismounted the sled and was trying to get it unstuck. I really start to throw off some serious steam. A few minutes in the glovebox on my '13 Doo cleared 'em right up.

Making sure the breath box piece is closely molded around your nose and the goggles are positioned properly against your face for the "sealed" fit seemed to be the hot ticket for me.

I found that my trusty Smith's also fogged up in the same conditions.

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
I would have to say that while I haven't had an issue with scratching yet, the fogging became a little annoying after awhile. Granted, this primarily happened once I had dismounted the sled and was trying to get it unstuck. I really start to throw off some serious steam. A few minutes in the glovebox on my '13 Doo cleared 'em right up.

Making sure the breath box piece is closely molded around your nose and the goggles are positioned properly against your face for the "sealed" fit seemed to be the hot ticket for me.

I found that my trusty Smith's also fogged up in the same conditions.

This is the key right here ^^

03rmking

Premium Member
Mar 4, 2004
Spokane, WA
www.509films.com
Goggles are a very subjective product. Meaning there are numerous variables that affect performance: head size/shape, helmet, body temperature, etc. One guys favorite goggle can be another mans worst. So the number one area of importance is fit. If a goggle doesn't fit your head shape or your helmet, switch brands. A goggle that doesn't seal 100% against your face will cause issues. Every time you breath, that warm breath (moisture) will enter directly inside the goggle. Fog is a very simple thing and it happens for 1 reason: Moisture. To eliminate fogging issues, you need to first identify where moisture is entering into the goggle. Once identified, take action to correct it. Things like ensuring a good seal, proper body layering to prevent overheating, not dropping them in the snow, etc, etc all go along ways in preventing fogging.

As for mirror finishes, they are inherently more susceptible to scratching than non-mirrored. However they should certainly last longer than some have stated here.

So let me ask, of the people that have stated displeasure with our goggles, how many have taken advantage of our customer service and warranty policies? We pride ourselves on providing the best warranties and customer service in the business, so we welcome your call (1-877-743-3509) anytime you have an issue. Through simple support and education we can fix the overwhelming majority of customer issues. But that all starts with a customer service call. And you will find we do whatever it takes to make EVERY customer 100% satisfied.

That being said, we continually are working to improve our products. So we welcome both good and bad feedback. I can tell you, we have some VERY cool goggle innovations coming out for next season. Some we've been working on for a number of years and all combined, more goggle advancements that we've EVER released in our history. With key emphasis on improving functionality and durability. Stay tuned!

As for the statement that 509 is nothing more than "marketing hype", I would like to point out how little 509 as a company advertises. The vast majority is word of mouth, while we focus on our dealer & customer support on the backend. We participate in very little paid print or web marketing.

B

bigislandgrrl

Dec 17, 2010
Milliken, Colorado
My man bought me a pair of the sinisters... Im not to pleased with them for numerous reasons but what is really bothering me is the polarized line that I can see right in the middle of the lens. Its distracting to a point where Ive just given up trying to wear them at all.... gonna take them back to the dealer and see if this was just a manufacturing issue or if they are all that way.

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
Did I win anything? :face-icon-small-ton :bounce:

Haha, hopefully you won over the people who didnt already have a correct understanding about fitting the goggles to the face :face-icon-small-win

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
I must have something wrong with me. All these comments about scratches and I've had a nasty scratch on my 509 Dirt Pros since the 2nd time I wore them...Once I leave the trucks I don't even notice it until I clean them at home.

Besides, scratches on the lens mean no scratches on my eyeballs!

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
I have 2 pairs of 509 sin`s snocamo they look cool and the foam by far is very comfortable they don`t let the cold air in above the goggles and helmet like my scotts do I don`t wear a balaclava most the time with the 509`s but they do fog If I stop for any reason I have to put my goggles or helmet on last, If I put he goggles on they are fogged pretty good before I can get my gloves on and sled started pretty anoying, Kinda got it down now get my tether on, gloves start sled slide helmet on with goggles still quickstrapped to them click the quick buckle and on the throttle by then they are just startin to fog but soon as you get movin they clear right up and don`t have any troubles till seconds after I stop.

Wish I could find somethin that didn`t fog so much, I have the clear lenzes no chrome etc.. I can`t judge the terrain with tinted goggles seems to be somewhat foggy all the time.

I have a antifog fan in them and it seems to help but not much.

my 509`s are 2010 and 2011`s are there any improvements in the 2013`s ?

Wildcard

H1Pilot

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
... how many have taken advantage of our customer service and warranty policies? We pride ourselves on providing the best warranties and customer service in the business, so we welcome your call (1-877-743-3509) anytime you have an issue...

Oh no, I'm having flashbacks of the movie Tommy Boy with the talk of warranty!!!:face-icon-small-hap Just Kidding.

I didn't call customer service and the only evidence of the scratched lenses are the pictures in this thread. My original question, "Do 509 goggles suck?", was a legit from the heart question in search of the truth. Prior to my experience with them, non of my riding buddies used them, so I did not have access to field tested opinions. I had not heard anything negative about them either, so I bought a pair. I see 509 everwhere and had concluded that branding and cool factor were a top priority for them. After a number of years, not hearing anything negative, I also concluded they must be of good quality. I don't buy something just because everyone else does, I buy it because it works and I had somehow formed the opinion that the 509 goggles must be top notch after years of seeing them at shows, in magazines and retailers. I really felt like I got suckered when the lenses got all marred and scratched. My fault for not doing more research, I guess.

So since I bought some non-mirrored replacement yellow lenses, I was happy to see the clarity again. Then, last weekend, my kids took/dragged me skiing. Uh Oh...FOG! Not in the air, in my goggles, between the lenses. Not sure how moisture got in there so fast but it made them useless for the day as I could not clear them...obviously. At this point I have them sitting on the floor vent at home in an attempt to remove all humidity from them. This is the first time I've run into between-the-lense fogging.

I am bummed, because the clarity was reminiscent of the parting of the Red Sea when I tried them on in the store. Wow! Oh wellskees...they just may not be for me regardless of how much I want them to be.:wave:

1Fast68

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, WA
I was initially very displeased with my 509 sinisters. Mirrored lense scratched very quickly from normal use and the mirror made the lense too dark for all but the brightest days.

I bought another set of lenses, yellow, non mirrored and have been much happier with them since.

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
in the shadow of the Rubies, Nevada
Going on my 4th year with the same set of Oakleys with the same smoked lense. I have 'em attached to a $40.00 GMax helmet and have had NO issues, except for "iceing" on thge coldest of days. I honestly dont take "precationary" care of them. I keep 'em on the helmet always, wipe em with whatever is handy... I dont know if its our local climate, I always wear a balaclava... wanted to buy a set of Aviators this season because I like the way they look, haha. I will... because I DO THINK there are many variables unique to each owner, that said, I will take "EXTRA" care of the mirrored lenses, after what I've read here.

S

sledaddiction

Jul 23, 2012
Wyo
I have the Aviators with smoke lens, and Sinisters with yellow lenses and I love them both! I wear a 509 helmet most days, but sometimes I wear my old Fly helmet, and I have never had an issue with my goggles in the 2 seasons I've been using them. I keep them in their bags when I'm not using them, but otherwise I pretty much beat the crap out of them. -30 to 50 degrees and sunny. No fogging and no scratching. Maybe I'm just lucky!

Premium Features