• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do 509 goggles suck?

S
Feb 25, 2008
Craig CO
I think they suck. After riding with 12 or so different guys with these googles some using 509 helmet some not and all diffrent face shapes and sizes. Ive never heard more negetive stuff about a specific product then these googles. The only 2 guys that dont have issues are pretty small guys. Every one else has an issue. It used to be funny when we would stop and there googles would fog but after a year and a half of this it gotten pretty anoying.

So 509 do you offer a money back garuntee ?

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
I've had my 509 black/chrome goggles for 1 year or 8 rides and the lenses are scratched or marred all over. I was so excited for these new goggles and really liked the initial view. I even bought a different helmet to wear with them since they did not work with my Aria Helmet.

1st ride out this season, I noticed they were getting harder to see through as I was trying to clear them with my finger squeegie. I ended up pulling out my 10 year old spare Scott Turbo Flow that had been bouncing around my backpack and they worked as usual. I inspected the lenses on all of my families goggles, of which I have have had for a number of years, and they were all in much better condition than my new 509's.

On my second ride for the season, another rider mentioned his 509 lenses were scratched up as well, so I figured I'd post the question to the forum. Any insight?

Bought a pair the other day and used them Sat in very wet, cold (15-20*) snowy weather. Wish I would have done it years ago, best pair of goggles I've ever tried. Buying another pair now!

skunk75

Premium Member
Dec 29, 2008
Wyoming
I think they suck. After riding with 12 or so different guys with these googles some using 509 helmet some not and all diffrent face shapes and sizes. Ive never heard more negetive stuff about a specific product then these googles. The only 2 guys that dont have issues are pretty small guys. Every one else has an issue. It used to be funny when we would stop and there googles would fog but after a year and a half of this it gotten pretty anoying.

So 509 do you offer a money back garuntee ?

I second this question. Is there a money back offer?

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
To me the best thing about the 509`s is a bit of cool factor and the comfy foam and Thats It!!

Would be nice to have a investment moneyback guarantee. then maybe I could get back the cost I have on 2 pairs of Snowcamo Sinister goggles w/yellow lenzes, extra orange lenzs, clear lenzs I have purchased, Anti Fog Fan that don`t work. and the 2 sets of quick straps I purchased towards both goggles along with the WPS goggle bag I put in the engine compartment including all the microfibre cloths I have to use everytime I stop to clean the fog mist off of and many different antifog sprays and wipe cloths I have invested in to help with fogging issues and Nothing has helped..

Wildcard

D
Mar 31, 2011
I have had pretty good luck with my sinister polarized. No scratches after 2 years and don't have any fog issues. Have to say though, my old worn out, 10 year old turbo-flows are still my favorites

S
Nov 10, 2009
Saskatchewan
No scratch issues here. However, on warmer days they fog - good thing my son has a fan cooled sled to use for a defogger.

But..... I find the viewing area is as big as looking through 2 pill bottles - WAY TO SMALL a viewing area.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Goggles must work with the helmet, and with your face, and any balaclava, all said here. You just gotta have a complete seal, first, before anything else. I do pick goggles first, then fit the helmet around them. The Scott Hustle's have my vote now, dual panes, with their adjustable frame, can be made to fit most faces - no more breathing pressure points, not too $$$, can buy lots of them. We do have it good - my first goggles were about 1970, committed to goggles 100% of the time 20 years ago, and what we have available to buy now is incredible.

Common rules to goggle by:

Pull off goggles when you stop to avoid fogging, as soon as you see fog, pull them. Or go!

Trim the helmet plastic, goggle nosepiece, goggle foam, whatever is necessary, to get the fit you need. Seems like I fine tune every helmet and goggle, at least alittle.

Don't let any snow get inside when you pull them.

Never touch the inside of the lens. The material is VERY soft.

Get them under the hood, behind side panels, etc., for any extended stop. Goggle storage under the hood, alla the pro goggle bag, M or XM storage box, e.g., is wonderful, too. Great way to swap a warm pair for a wet pair.

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
One of my riding buds has cracked 4 lens on his 509. I haven't cracked any goggle in 25 years of wearing goggles no mater what kind.
I have never tried them and probably never will. At any given time I have 8 to 10 pair of goggles. Scott's are my favorite , smiths are good also. Spy are ok fog more then Scott's or smiths but they fit most helmets nicely. I just got set of kilms. I will try them out next ride.
Best goggles I've had are the Scott 89 xi transitions

D

Dizzle

Nov 19, 2012
Oregon
Wow I am bummed to see this. I was excited about supporting a local company but now I think I'll just keep my 15 year old Dragon's...I've had zero issues with them. If 509 comes out with a better lens, I will definitely buy some! :beer;

M
Dec 7, 2009
Northern Mn
Have a pair of 509 sin goggles, bought the helmet to go with, together they suck, the helmet deflects hot breath directly onto the goggles instant fog on the OUT SIDE. Called customer service, they said have to wear the breath box in cold weather, he said anything under 32deg is cold weather. He mostly told me i was doing it wrong. I have been wearing goggles for almost 20 years. Back to the old Scotts and Shoei for me. Thanks 509!

Big Dawg 51

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Walla Walla, WA
Sinister Goggles

Been using 509's for last few seasons and been very happy. Kept the old Oakley's and have never went back. One adjustment I made to help with the fogging issue mentioned by many, was to not use quick straps with 509's. I put my goggles on my helmet and just keep them there with the regular strap. Slip my helmet on and off and goggles stay with helmet (not sure why I hadn't ever thought of this before) Seems to keep fogging to a minimum. I also bought polarized lenses, but have never installed them. The stock yellow mirrors have worked great in all conditions. As for scratches, some of the evidence may have more to do with gloves material or preventative care than bad product. I also have had a chance to use 509 customer service. They exchanged my brown polarized for the new yellow polarized, no questions asked, and the new lenses arrived in the mail right away.

Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
One of my riding buds has cracked 4 lens on his 509. I haven't cracked any goggle in 25 years of wearing goggles no mater what kind.
I have never tried them and probably never will. At any given time I have 8 to 10 pair of goggles. Scott's are my favorite , smiths are good also. Spy are ok fog more then Scott's or smiths but they fit most helmets nicely. I just got set of kilms. I will try them out next ride.
Best goggles I've had are the Scott 89 xi transitions

X 2. Scott 89xi. Best no fog goggle out there

Premium Features