• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do 509 goggles suck?

R

R_8_N

Nov 28, 2007
Ive ran a set of yellow for foggy days and a set of brown/polarized since 509 started making goggles. I get a new lens in the summer and Ive never had a problem with scratching or anything else with them.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Purchased 10 pair last winter for the family at christmas time. Zero pair are still in use. All have went back to their smith, scott, oakley and dragons.

Yikes, that is not a very good endorsement! I would say there are about 15 million goggle threads on Snowest and they all have one thing in common. Not one single pair has a resounding good review from a majority. Some like, some don't.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
We took ours back to the dealer because of helmet fit and too easy to scratch as well, say what you want about how you take care of them, my five year old scotts have had no special treatment and were in better shape than the 509's after two rides.

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
Purchased 10 pair last winter for the family at christmas time. Zero pair are still in use. All have went back to their smith, scott, oakley and dragons.

WOWZERS thats not very good at all. Can you elaborate more on issues for us so we know what to look for?

M

m8matt

Nov 26, 2007
I bought one pair I 509 aviators. I never wear them anymore. Don't fit in the helmet very well and side visibility is terrible.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
love my 509's. be treat them like your favorite pair of sunglasses when you clean them, carry a dry towel to wipe them during the day. they'll be fine. No goggles suck. you either sweat a ton and they fog or you don't control your breathing and they fog. As for scratching, the mirrored are probably more prone to scratching, but if you're careless all goggles will be scratched and marred up in a couple rides. At the price of goggles today I guess being careful is the best advice no matter the brand

skunk75

Premium Member
Dec 29, 2008
Wyoming
WOWZERS thats not very good at all. Can you elaborate more on issues for us so we know what to look for?

We had a ton of issues

1: poor fitment in helmets.
2: Instant fogging in our conditions across all ages, shapes and body types.
3: 4 pair the lenses broke within the first 5 rides.
4: impossible to control scratching

We had all ages shapes and sizes wearing them. Not one person still wears them. Our Motörhead 3 yr old wont even wear them to play. He digs out an old set of oakleys. This is a kid who makes us wear our gear to watch sled movies. The 509 goggles lay in his toy box with less than 10 rides on them. :(

I purchased a 509 helmet at the same time. I wore it two rides. It now hangs on the wall at the cabin. The goggles and helmet didn't work well together either.

We fully endorse fly helmets, smith, spy, Scott, dragon, hjc, bell etc.

509 is a magical marketing machine nothing more in my opinion.

Wish I had all the money back.

We are placing an order for another round of gear today. The two people who are ordering can buy whatever they want. Not one dollar will be spent on 509 if that says anything.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Yep' I threw my money away on a pair with polarized lens. Now when they are not fogged up I still can't see my guages because of the polarizing and my helmet pushes the goggles down onto my eyebrows pushing my eyes half closed!

H1Pilot

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Thanks for the feedback. I am drawing off of 15 years of snowmobiling experience and know what to expect from a pair of goggles in different conditions. I at least expected the 509's to perform as well as my older goggles and they didn't. I am not a biased retailer, just an honest consumer. I wish I could have willed them to fit better and not scratch so easily. I actually treated them better than my older goggles just because they were new and more expensive. I tend to agree that the marketing hype may have overshot the performance of the product.

Before anyone goes on rant about taking care of goggles, it's obvious that I must not have taken proper care of the CHROMED goggles. However, when snowmobiling in wet and sleety conditions, you have to wipe your goggles. You can't stop, take them off, build a shelter and wipe them down with OEM spec cleaning supplies. My tone here is not angry, just having a little fun. We are hardcore riders and expect our equipment to keep up. The fair weather riders on their way to a fashion show can wear these. The only other 509 products I own are some videos and the free calendar they give out at the snowshow...and they are top notch. I am closing the book on my 509 Chromed goggle review.

I went to Motion Sports in Coeur d'Alene and bought a new set of lenses, non-chrome, for $20 and will keep thesse goggles for spares.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
Never had a problem with my 509 aviators...although I do not wear mirrored lenses very often.

The aviators are the only goggles i have ever worn the entire day riding. Normally something that was like finding a unicorn with any other brand.

I always carry a second pair and different colored lenses incase the lighting changes...but rarely use my backups because the Aviators just perform so well.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Somebody should add a POLL to this thread. I'm thinking there are more dissatisfied people than there are happy people. And that goes for the Klim goggles too.

I recently got a MF helmet and my 509s did not fit well. My SPY and my SCOTT Xi's fit very nice and the Spy's didn't fog until I buried my head in a snowdrift

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
Its reviews like this that help the consumer better pick a product for themselves in the long run. Although I still think the consumer should do extensive research on their own to make purchases such as these. There are sooooo many things that can play effect on how goggles perform and fit etc.

We went to 10 shows across the country this year and cannot express to you how many people put helmets and goggles on and didnt get the goggles placed against their face. If a goggle doesnt seal, no way will it be fog-proof. The common issue is getting the nose protectors stuck on the nose of the helmet kicking them out away from the bottom of the face a smidge. I saw this on over half of the people trying stuff on.

Like I said though H1, glad you gave a review, it definitely helps to hear people not pushing the products, opinions!! Next time your in the neighborhood swing by BLOWN MOTOR, we are in CdA as well right on Northwest Boulevard, stocking complete lineups her of all the Top brands in the industry!

MUZBOMB

Lifetime Membership
Aug 15, 2008
Albeta sometimes Saskatchewan
I have quite a few pair of 509 goggles and they are by far the best goggles I have owned!!! I have no problem with fogging and they seem to be holding up great as far as scratches and foam on goggles. I must admit i am kind of anal about my stuff though LOL. But 509 all the way for this guy!!!

H1Pilot

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Its reviews like this that help the consumer better pick a product for themselves in the long run....Like I said though H1, glad you gave a review, it definitely helps to hear people not pushing the products, opinions!! Next time your in the neighborhood swing by BLOWN MOTOR, we are in CdA as well right on Northwest Boulevard, stocking complete lineups her of all the Top brands in the industry!

Who knew?...I drive by your store everyday. How long you been there? I'll swing in sometime.

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
Have a set of Scott hustlers and 509s with yellow polarized in my backpack. Scott's get used 95% of the time. The 5% I use the 509s are because I paid $100 on them and hope every time I try them that they'll work!! They usually last about an hour then I switch back to the Scott's...

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
Haha awesome! Been here for a little over a month now! Store is jam packed, and always rockin the newest sled flicks on the tv's! Stop in, grab a free rockstar and just hangout sometime!

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I think it depends on the person and the conditions. I have 30+ years of riding but only around 15 or so years with goggles.

I am not a person that has a lot of issues with fogging. I can only remember 2 or 3 times that I had an issue with goggles. Most of those times were warmer days that had wetter moister snow coming down and I was over heating. Seems like everytime we stopped I was having fogging issues. Other than that I have not had issues.

I always were a breath deflector. Mainly to keep the wind off of my lower face but I also feel it helps to fog less. As far as fit, I find the sinisters to fit and seal my helmet better than the aviators do. They are a different shape and have different shape foam. Like I said I think everyone is different and has other things that work and don't work for them. I have rode with guys that were fogging like crazy while I was not.

What I have a heard time believing is it is a 509 problem. Almost everyone I ride with have switched from other brands to 509 and they all love them. If it was just a 509 thing I would think they would all switch back to another brand that works better.

Scratching on the other hand might be a lens choice. I don't wear mirrored or polorized lens anymore. But I didn'thave a lot of issues when I did use mirror it is just color preference for me. I like straight rose, yellow, or clear.

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
Thank you Skunk for the phone call, glad we could get your needs taken care of!

S

scott t

Dec 6, 2010
Northern Wisconsin
I also experienced fogging with the 509's. Ive tried with and without the breath box and still have issues. Always used Scott and Smith goggles with no fogging issues. It is strange some people have zero issues with these but i cant get them to work for me. They seem to fit good and have no other issues other than fogging.

Premium Features