• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt Blower - Opinions needed ASAP!!!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
offcours you have same length bolts and pull them al to a stop against the back off the sleave. and to adjust deflektion you remove al bolts and ad walshers behind them.

but perhaps this is a bad idea anyway. the -09 reverse might be a problem among other things...

What if you just tapped two holes in the helix and ran a strap over the deflection adjuster to hold it in place, a billet aluminum stile of some kind, with a hole in the center for the bolt to go through. I think I would also enlarge the center hole and use a larger diameter bolt with smaller threads so that you could put a lock washer on and tighten it against the splines, more or less creating a shaft to try and keep the clutch from wobbling. Make sense?

M
Feb 5, 2009
My bad, it's a 162. Sorry, but it's not my sled! I've got 2 153's so the 3 just came out. As far as the associate problems, that was the same thought we had. The idea came from AC tech guy. Not a perfect fix, but it worked for my friend. No problems at all to the primary or spider yet.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
I understand the theory of a floating secondary, but I still don't understand how it would be any benefit under load.
The way I look at it, it would only float when there is no load.
Once load is aplied on the keyway/splines, I don't see how the secondary can float.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
though i think a floating secondary would help with issues related to alignment and make this process easier.

i think the true fixes for belt issues on the 1000 are the following:

1. Proper setup for clutching - i think most of these sleds are clutched with too much weight.

2. Proper deflection and alignment. Currently, i had to add .030" shim over stock. Since i've done this, belt life has increased from 60 miles to 150 and still going, though i've still got other issues.

3. The motor mounts are a part of this issue - i've not confirmed this yet, but i hope to soon... i believe they are too soft and allow the motor to rotate too much. this pulls it out of parellel and eats up belts.

4. Break the belt in right, wash it before the first use, and keep the clutches clean.

If you can do address these issues you'll have a long belt life with an 060 or 046... not that easy though and i wish the factory would've taken some guess work out of this for us.

Notice that 09 1000 has one solid motor mount and the 08s are all just rubber? AC knows this is part of the problem.

L

likinit2

Jul 4, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Has anyone that is having major belt problems happen to check the runout on their crank and the runout of the primary sheaves to make sure everything is running true. A bent crank or or not so perfect machine of the primary and any wobble will chew up belts in a hurry. This was a more common thing with the 800 ves polaris's, a blown belt and suddenly you are going through several belts only to find out your crank is bent. It doesn't take much. Just a thought!

Shwinecat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Milbank, SD
I would not rule this out considering how out of balance my 4 tower clutch was. I am hoping to trade due to the stress it must have put on the bearings alone.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
I have seen a lot of cat 1000s eating belts since they came out. that said i have some friends on this sit that run 1000s and ask them about there belt usage they had issues at first but have told me recently that they have it fixed now and do;nt go through belt any more. it is Mini And Budd on here maybe send them a message and see what they did.

sledstormed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho
I think machining the secondary is the only thing that hasn't been done here... I'm going to look into having it done this weekend..

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Has anyone that is having major belt problems happen to check the runout on their crank and the runout of the primary sheaves to make sure everything is running true. A bent crank or or not so perfect machine of the primary and any wobble will chew up belts in a hurry. This was a more common thing with the 800 ves polaris's, a blown belt and suddenly you are going through several belts only to find out your crank is bent. It doesn't take much. Just a thought!

yep, checked 'em both. only thing i haven't checked is betting the primary rebalanced.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
I think machining the secondary is the only thing that hasn't been done here... I'm going to look into having it done this weekend..

yep - done that too. funny though, i've checked alignment and it didn't need to get moved in. it actually needed to come out .030. crazy huh? Since i've moved the secondary out, its been eaiser on the belts, but not good yet.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
After reading all this for the last hour all I can say is you've got to be kidding me. I think I will withdraw my bid on the repo 2008 M1000 SP here with the local bank. Either that or I hope to hell I dont win it!!

Here is my take. The over the top attention to noise reduction on the newer style chasis has screwed any possibility of proper air flow under the hood and to the clutches. After market vents dont solve the problem. The venting of airflow under the hood and to the lower part of the belly pan where the clutchs are from AC on the M chasis is pathetic. Same goes for the Dragon chasis. You could cook a pizza under these hoods and the "hot doggers" have now become obsolete.

Stock gearing and cluthing from the factories is way off when you consider major torque, monster long tracks with 5 inch paddles in big powder or heavy wet snow.

I dont believe these M1000 blow belt issues have anything to do with soft motor mounts, worn out torque stops/push arms, float vs. non float, proper break-in of belt, titanium springs, slight mis-alignment, or paralelism issues.

I hope I dont win this bid. Along with the ECU re-flash issues, the blown belt thing would be rediculous. AC, take a hike.

S

SnowDevil

Nov 26, 2007
Portland
Well the interesting thing is I ended up buying an 09 and taking my turbo off the 07 and putting on the 09. It now has 150 on the original belt, I would have been through atleast 2 belts on the 07. after looking over the difference it has to be the drive side motor mount, it is much harder I can feel the sled shake more from it. Im loving the 09!!

smoothdawg

Premium Member
Apr 7, 2008
Spokane, WA.
I bought an 09 M1000 this year and was getting 80 miles max out of the belts. Blew two of them. 060 belts. I had the clutches aligned and added Mo-Flo vents. I had ordered the BDX 57/63 gears and a BDX 40/36 helix but didn't want to change more than 1 thing at a time. So I ran the new alignment and venting for 2 rides [apprx 100 miles] and then installed the new gears. My results were I have not blown a belt in 200+ miles and I did not notice much if even any difference with the gear swap. If I had it to do all over again I probably would not have installed the gears. I also have mixed feelings on the helix as I noticed in deep soft snow while pointed uphill it made it difficult to take off without getting stuck. This is while boondocking in untracked snow. I think what is happening is the clutches are shifting out to fast with my stock engagement and over spinning the track. I am considering installing a lower initial spring in the primary. Something that engages at like 3000 rpm like the SLP yellow. In retrospect I think all I needed was an alignment and venting. I should mention however that one of the rubber isolators on the triangulated motormount had torn but was on back order for like 2.5 months and didn't get it installed until the last ride. These were my results and only hope to help. I ran the 060 exclusively this year.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
just for chit and giggles i came back to this thread to see if there's been any updates. guess not!

I can tell you that i firmly beleive that this issue really comes down to the motor mounts. they are just too soft for the initial torque that the 1000 puts out. MHO of course, but i've installed stiffer mounts over the summer and will be finalizing my clutching setup soon to see what i come up with. I'm getting somewhere here (or was until the now melted!).

pretty lame of Cat and even more BS that I bought 8 belts this summer and only got one paid for. at least Doo paid for the belts the XPs blew. pretty chitty of AC IMO.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I was wondering if you had solved your issue yet. I ended up having my primary break so I am sporting a new primary and only have one ride on it in spring conditions so I don't know if it going to solve my problem or not but we will see when the snow flies. The one ride I put on it went well and clutch temps remained cool to the touch but I was not running a hood and the motor wasn't working too hard so I am not holding my breath. Keep us posted when the snow flies.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I hope this doesn't turn into the "max" thread over this winter, hopefully your problems will be solved. See you when the snow flies :beer;

Premium Features