• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

36" A-arm Kit. Which one?

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
Just ordered the 36" kit from AI. Just one thing to say, Dan put up some real good service. It was a real pleasure to deal with him. If the product is as good as his customer care, then this should be of the best.

M
Oct 13, 2009
wyoming
Just ordered the 36" kit from AI. Just one thing to say, Dan put up some real good service. It was a real pleasure to deal with him. If the product is as good as his customer care, then this should be of the best.
I have two sets, one on my sled and one on my wifes. I have had both brands of 36'' and dans are a far better design all around. Not sure his customer service can be matched. Just be sure to get an extra rod end. I didnt at first and payed for it. My fault. Saved my arm so it was easier to accept. Now i carry a spare in both sleds. you will not be disapointed.

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
I have two sets, one on my sled and one on my wifes. I have had both brands of 36'' and dans are a far better design all around. Not sure his customer service can be matched. Just be sure to get an extra rod end. I didnt at first and payed for it. My fault. Saved my arm so it was easier to accept. Now i carry a spare in both sleds. you will not be disapointed.

Since I am overseas, Dan suggested for me to take 1 rod in spare just in case.
It would put me down for 2 weeks if I had to order 1 when I break it.
So, good for me that he did know what I did need. That is a salesman as it best, he know what and why the customer needs it:)

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Are you selling these? I assume it puts one at 37. Like the thought of this better than narrower arms. At its narrowest the spindle won't be outside ski.

We will be selling these if they work out and we can get the machining price down to where they compete. They give you 36" or 34" if you already have the 36" a-arms.

The advantages are clear. Easy install, uses stock arms so if you break one you can be up and riding faster than aftermarket ordering. Stock tie-rods, full shock travel, no shock rebuilding, shipping, gassing etc and easier to return to stock.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Teth-air... Taking the pivot of the ski off-axis would, to me, increase steering effort as you "swing" rather than "turn" the ski.

Just a thought.

Yes, in theory and you also have that now when you run the spacers on one side of the ski. I did this on a 08 XP and it was awesome, you could not notice any extra effort. I should know soon enough.

DSC01614.jpg

Last edited:
T

trestlecreek

Sep 19, 2010
I'm curious what characteristics are you seeing while going with a 36" front end vs. stock narrowest setting? Is stock set at 38" or 39" while in its narrowest setting? Are you still running the swaybar at 36"? Does the newer ski doo's run a 36" front end?

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
Here's some pics of installed 36" a arms. Don't have any measurements of height or anything. But I did measure center to center twice to be sure and with sled on stand so the arms at full droop. I get 36" and my skis are centered so I should be able to adjust to 35 or 37" right. Reading on this forum it says that 36 is with skis on narrow setting. And can adjust to 37 or 38" are we supposed to measure with sled on ground? And gasshockrepair is great to deal with. I've had Andy do allot of shock work for me over the years bikes and sleds. Very reasonable.
My ski stance is 36" center of ski to center of ski sitting on the floor. That would be at the narrowest setting possible. I'm not sure where guys are measuring from to get 38" as the narrow setting on a stock RMK? Looks great shortstuff! Rod ends look a little long but it might just be the picture. Just remember while the sleds in the air at full droop in the shop, check for binding turning the skies all the way both ways as well as clearance issues. If any of this happens go back to the instructions to be sure you set up properly. If your check list is complete I say you find some snow! Thank you.
Dan

kt19

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2011
Cheyenne, Wy
Pics of the AI on a 2012 600 stock shocks

Maybe this will work on attaching images if it doesn't I will try again.

So this is the sled with the stock length shock. the picture that shows the full front of the sled it looks like it is sitting crooked it isn't the hood vent causes a little and the side panel was unlatched.

Sending the shocks off today to have them shortened and rebuilt.

As it sets now the measurement from floor to middle of the lower a-arm is 11.5 inches. That is about where the mounting stud is for the a-arm.

image.jpg image_6.jpg image_4.jpeg image_2.jpg image_1.jpg

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Alt impact 36" arms.
Assault shocks shortened to 16.875.
Hcr (cheap) ti springs.
d0ef8e8962172044c03168f55a07d3f3.jpg

6f75ec515a8cfd847e39d163fa709658.jpg

H
Nov 29, 2007
Littleton,Colorado
Skinz

I just got a new 15 pro never owned a Polaris.I am going to do a 36-37 in front end and been looking at skinz,I see no one here even mentioned them?I guess I'll have to take a closer look at AI and zbroz.

whats your thoughts

After all of my research I went with ZBroz, I found they were the best combination of engineering, lightweight, strength, pricing and customer service.

A question for everyone on this thread, how come everyone is so set on keeping the sway bar? I removed the sway bar on my 05 900 nine years ago and wouldn't run a sway bar again, of course these days I'm riding an 800 pro, Zbroz 36" front and still no sway bar.

My thought is, if I was a trail rider I'd want the sway bar but if I'm a trail rider I wouldn't run the 36". On that premise, with the 36 I'm trying to get more flickable and the sway bar would prevent that. I can get the flickable with the 36 and maintain stability with correct spring pressure on my front shocks (I feel more stable on my 36 w/correct spring pressure than I do on my buddies stockers with a sway bar). What's your thoughts?

Premium Features