• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

36" A-arm Kit. Which one?

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
I believe Dan said 36" is with the skis on the narrowest position.
Correct. I would also add that is from center to center of ski. As a side note I feel this is worthy of repeating as it was posted in another thread. Thanks guys!
Dan
Hey guys I just want to clear the fog a bit here and explain a little about how and why we designed our front end kits the way we did and to maybe put an end to the misconception of the 16.250'' shock length, or any other. ''THE BEST'' all around shock length for ''OUR'' 36'' kit is 16.625'' (2013-15 pro RMK). Will this increase front ride height...yes very slightly. Noticeable...? by 99% of the guys or gals out there...no. Can I tell the difference, honestly, no. So with that said this leads us to why. With the amount of guys going to the 3X tracks (awesome improvement for certain conditions) this raises our stock rear height by +1/2''. More than what was increased in the front ( assuming its sitting flat on the floor). There back to stock, sort of if you want to split hairs. please no debates on the 3'' track, I know its not for everyone including myself In all conditions. Now I cannot speak for any other 36" kits besides my own, but ours will also work with 2012 (17.5'') shocks and I have more than just a few running this. Is it ideal.. definitely not. Will you have any other issues (steering binding, rubbing, clearance issues) other than excessive ski pressure and front ride height, no, other than we have seen on a couple sleds where the sway bar link was not long enough, in which case we have extensions. AGAIN not recommended, but these are the guys that cant or do not want to spend another 1k on a shock package, so it makes it possible for them to narrow up affordably. Air shocks do an incredible job at compensating for small amounts of ride height, and keep in mind Raptors and all other higher end shocks can easily be shortened for a reasonable cost. Thanks for reading, please pass this along...!

Dan

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Correct. I would also add that is from center to center of ski. As a side note I feel this is worthy of repeating as it was posted in another thread. Thanks guys!
Dan
Hey guys I just want to clear the fog a bit here and explain a little about how and why we designed our front end kits the way we did and to maybe put an end to the misconception of the 16.250'' shock length, or any other. ''THE BEST'' all around shock length for ''OUR'' 36'' kit is 16.625'' (2013-15 pro RMK). Will this increase front ride height...yes very slightly. Noticeable...? by 99% of the guys or gals out there...no. Can I tell the difference, honestly, no. So with that said this leads us to why. With the amount of guys going to the 3X tracks (awesome improvement for certain conditions) this raises our stock rear height by +1/2''. More than what was increased in the front ( assuming its sitting flat on the floor). There back to stock, sort of if you want to split hairs. please no debates on the 3'' track, I know its not for everyone including myself In all conditions. Now I cannot speak for any other 36" kits besides my own, but ours will also work with 2012 (17.5'') shocks and I have more than just a few running this. Is it ideal.. definitely not. Will you have any other issues (steering binding, rubbing, clearance issues) other than excessive ski pressure and front ride height, no, other than we have seen on a couple sleds where the sway bar link was not long enough, in which case we have extensions. AGAIN not recommended, but these are the guys that cant or do not want to spend another 1k on a shock package, so it makes it possible for them to narrow up affordably. Air shocks do an incredible job at compensating for small amounts of ride height, and keep in mind Raptors and all other higher end shocks can easily be shortened for a reasonable cost. Thanks for reading, please pass this along...!

Dan

Looks like the ones I have are aluminum bodies walker evans that come on a pro however the length looks to be close to that 16.625". Is this the stock length on a 13-15 pro or have these been modified?

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Yeah, I've had intimate experiences with rocks. The ski hits and folds the arm. No extra clearance in the arm will prevent that. I'll be upgrading to Alternative Impact's 36" arms next season, unless a snowcheck is too good to pass up...

bent_arm.jpg

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Just received my 36" Alternative Impact Front End !!!

I can tell you this, Dan with Alternative Impact is awesome to deal with!!!!! I called him up and he was extremely helpful over the phone and the front end showed up a couple days later all neatly packaged with directions.

He also assured me that if I needed anything or was having a problem, to give him a shout and he would be glad to help.

Looking forward to putting the new front end on and big thanks to Dan!!!

I''ll post up some pics when it's done.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Got mt 36" Alternative Impact Front End on today!!!!!!!

Everything went together with ease and it looks great!! Had a question at one point, so I figured I would call and leave a message for Dan and low and behold, he picked up, talk about service !!!!

Here's some pics,

62170a0713450f6b1067dafad45a6ae1.jpg

96fe48b86a3d94faf17808e4adfd78d3.jpg

e86d3cf50c6de6ca5bfd5e660c0a1a1b.jpg

14c64b67dbec68e982e4a20eafca90b5.jpg

ff51458d245a1c706f8ad8739085e7f5.jpg

I
Nov 26, 2007
Agreed. I once called Dan very late at night expecting a recording telling me the business hours so I knew what time to call back the next day. He answered and took my order, as he was in the shop building A arms anyways. Great guy, great product.

Thanks Randy it was nice to meet you and talk sleds. Highly recommend gobigparts and Alternative impact.

I purchased the arms from Randy at Gobigparts. Him and Dan at Alternative impact were extremely helpful in making sure I was purchasing the exact arms I wanted.

Arms look great welds are clean. Man these things are light. 1lb 3 oz for the lower arms with no heims or bushings and 9 oz for the upper arms with no hardware. Excited to get them on my sled just need to pick my new sled up from the dealer.

I went with Alternative Impact because I want to retain my swaybar and they are the only 36" kit that I know of that this is offered.

Will update with fit and finish when I install them.

36" Alternative Impact Titanium Arms.

IMG_6947.jpg IMG_0535.jpg IMG_0536.jpg IMG_0538.jpg IMG_0539.jpg

Last edited:

kt19

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2011
Cheyenne, Wy
Just put Dans on my wife's sled. Looks good and sled balance is amazing over stock. I did use the longer 12 shocks. No binding or a-arm interference. Will have to get it on the snow before deciding if it's fine or if I'm ordering shorter shocks. Super easy install and fairly quick. I'd recommend the ALTernative Impacts. He can do other colors also. Did white and they look excellent

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I'm running stock width zbros a arms and clicker shocks and the rear suspension shock as well and what a difference night and day I'd never go back. And I'm running the stock sway bar

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Just put Dans on my wife's sled. Looks good and sled balance is amazing over stock. I did use the longer 12 shocks. No binding or a-arm interference. Will have to get it on the snow before deciding if it's fine or if I'm ordering shorter shocks. Super easy install and fairly quick. I'd recommend the ALTernative Impacts. He can do other colors also. Did white and they look excellent

I'm looking fwd to seeing what the 36" will do this year as well.

Sincere questions as I'm always curious.
Can you please post some photos your install... preferably with the sled off the ground and closeups of the lower "ball joint" ... Also, would like to know what your ride hight is (measured from the ground to the A-arm mount stud on the bulkhead) ??

You can send your shocks in for about $50 and have them shortened to the optimal length... whatever that is for you.

kt19

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2011
Cheyenne, Wy

I'm looking fwd to seeing what the 36" will do this year as well.

Sincere questions as I'm always curious.
Can you please post some photos your install... preferably with the sled off the ground and closeups of the lower "ball joint" ... Also, would like to know what your ride hight is (measured from the ground to the A-arm mount stud on the bulkhead) ??

You can send your shocks in for about $50 and have them shortened to the optimal length... whatever that is for you.

I will get some pics either tomorrow or Thursday. Where would I send my shocks into to get them modified. 50 bucks sounds cheap and worth it.

shortstuff

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Rigby, ID
Here's some pics of installed 36" a arms. Don't have any measurements of height or anything. But I did measure center to center twice to be sure and with sled on stand so the arms at full droop. I get 36" and my skis are centered so I should be able to adjust to 35 or 37" right. Reading on this forum it says that 36 is with skis on narrow setting. And can adjust to 37 or 38" are we supposed to measure with sled on ground? And gasshockrepair is great to deal with. I've had Andy do allot of shock work for me over the years bikes and sleds. Very reasonable.

uploadfromtaptalk1415826037836.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1415826199435.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1415826993787.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1415827296523.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1415827519950.jpg

Premium Features