• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bent lower A- Arm, now thinking about some aftermarket ones do I also need more durable shocks?

S
Dec 9, 2021
Sweden
Broke the lower A- Arm of my Polaris RMK Axys 155 2017, I am now thinking about buying a kit to replace all a arms with more heavier ones.
And also more narrow ones, I believe the stock ones are 39''. And I'm thinking about going to 36''. If I do that swap, do I also need more durable shocks?
Since the snow we ride here in Sweden is most of the time pretty hard.

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
Broke the lower A- Arm of my Polaris RMK Axys 155 2017, I am now thinking about buying a kit to replace all a arms with more heavier ones.
And also more narrow ones, I believe the stock ones are 39''. And I'm thinking about going to 36''. If I do that swap, do I also need more durable shocks?
Since the snow we ride here in Sweden is most of the time pretty hard.
You will need shorter shocks with 36” front end

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I did the same a arms, sled doesn’t quite handle the same as when it was stock.
I did the same arms on mine as well (2016), much more agile and easier to ride, and I haven't even played with the shocks yet. I tipped it right over on top of myself the first time I took it off trail after I installed it.

I'm pretty sure they are built to accommodate the stock shock length, most of these companies had 36" kits out for the Axys before Polaris shortened the shocks on the 2019 React front end.

S
Dec 9, 2021
Sweden
React front end is different then using stock shocks on that era with 36” front end. I did heavy duty a arms and then got to replace a bulkhead half.
I would spend the money on a react kit with the correct length shocks.
Makes sense what you said. I'm gonna think about it. Thats quite some money you have to spend on shorter suspension. But maybe worth it, if it prevents bigger damage

J
Nov 25, 2019
First ride after installing I found that my sled requires more effort to steer. Double checked that I had installed everything correctly and set shocks to recommended starting point, no change. I’ve since played with the suspension a bit and the steering is a little easier but the only way it will ever feel like stock is getting different shocks or having mine shortened.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
First ride after installing I found that my sled requires more effort to steer. Double checked that I had installed everything correctly and set shocks to recommended starting point, no change. I’ve since played with the suspension a bit and the steering is a little easier but the only way it will ever feel like stock is getting different shocks or having mine shortened.
It’s because it’s taller and that creates more ski pressure.

Not to mention heim joints are stiff to turn vs oem style ball joints.

J
Nov 25, 2019
It’s because it’s taller and that creates more ski pressure.

Not to mention heim joints are stiff to turn vs oem style ball joints.
Yes, the lower shock mount hole is closer to the bulk head which increases down pressure on the ski.
Heim joints are generally easier to change than a arms though

B
Dec 1, 2019
Eagle, Idaho
If the A-arm isn’t too badly bent, they can be straightened. We did two of them a couple of weeks ago. We removed the part and used a hydraulic press to straighten them out. Two rides since then with no issues. It will save you some $ if you can straighten it out. It probably can’t be done twice though. I expect it would break if we tried to do it again. Good luck!

Premium Features