• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

36" A-arm Kit. Which one?

No doubt they're higher in the middle. I just haven't seen any A arms take a hit there that the zbros would've cleared. More of a gimmick in the sense they're selling you something you don't need than that they're lying about the extra clearance.

I could see that feature being useful on a side by side or atv, for rutted trails and what not. Just don't see the benefit on a sled.

The extra clearance on a sled seems to benefit me the most when boondocking and sidehilling, the double taper or extra clearance makes it so I push a lot less snow than a single angle a-arm (I can track my line and not wash out) and I'm able to roll over so many things the other front ends can't (for every 10 tight spots, the other front ends get stopped 1-2 times).

That's my experience anyway. The double taper for an atv or sXs is more obvious than a sled but once you see how much less snow you push and you don't get snagged but your buddy does, it's noticeable.

R

rkaminky

Oct 8, 2009
Denver
After all of my research I went with ZBroz, I found they were the best combination of engineering, lightweight, strength, pricing and customer service.

A question for everyone on this thread, how come everyone is so set on keeping the sway bar? I removed the sway bar on my 05 900 nine years ago and wouldn't run a sway bar again, of course these days I'm riding an 800 pro, Zbroz 36" front and still no sway bar.

My thought is, if I was a trail rider I'd want the sway bar but if I'm a trail rider I wouldn't run the 36". On that premise, with the 36 I'm trying to get more flickable and the sway bar would prevent that. I can get the flickable with the 36 and maintain stability with correct spring pressure on my front shocks (I feel more stable on my 36 w/correct spring pressure than I do on my buddies stockers with a sway bar). What's your thoughts?

The way I understand it, the stock front springs are designed to work with a sway bar. If you run the stock springs without a sway bar you risk bottoming more, as well as just compressing one side as opposed to really getting the sled on edge.

Z-Bros recommends their spring kit for those using the stock WE shocks with the 36" front end. Their spring rates are designed for no sway bar and are stiffer. I do notice a plusher feel in the front on hard snow and the trails with the zbros dual rate spring kit.

Also, one thing I have had to change since going to the 36" front end is the ski guides in my trailer. I was tearing up the wood since my carbides were too narrow to both fit, had to move one side in a few inches. Just something to think about.

Overall, I love how the sled handles with the 36" front end. Not a fun sled on the trails or icy hard pack. But the "tippyness" of the sled is great in more technical situations. I notice less full body movement from one side to the other of the sled, I can stay in the normal riding position in more situations. It takes much less effort to maneuver the sled in tricky areas.

R

rkaminky

Oct 8, 2009
Denver
Camber Question

I also have a question for those running the 36" front end. What degrees of camber are you running for the spindle? any different than stock (which is -1 or -2 degrees i believe?)?

Also, as anyone changed rear suspension settings for the better when going to a narrow front end/dual rate springs? or are most leaving the skid alone?

I also have a question for those running the 36" front end. What degrees of camber are you running for the spindle? any different than stock (which is -1 or -2 degrees i believe?)?

Also, as anyone changed rear suspension settings for the better when going to a narrow front end/dual rate springs? or are most leaving the skid alone?

I leave the camber the same as stock but haven't experimented. I fine tune the rear to stiffer and more rear track pressure but that's for a boondocker turbo setup.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I have 28 kms of trail to get to the alpine, having a sway bar is nice for those rides in/out.

I also have never seen a need for removing it, it can be beneficial.

tree-magnet

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
W. Washington
Installing the 36" front on my 13 pro changed the front end height 3". It also changed the way the rear suspension works, makes It collapse's to easy. Put a two inch block under the skid and it works perfect, anyone else notice this.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Installing the 36" front on my 13 pro changed the front end height 3". It also changed the way the rear suspension works, makes It collapse's to easy. Put a two inch block under the skid and it works perfect, anyone else notice this.

It depends on who's 36" from end you are running.

If it is the Z-broz; My guess would be you used the longer '11 or '12 shocks, (or possibly the Assault length) rather than the '13 and newer (or shorter) which they designed for.

If you got Alt's front, I believe he has two versions. One uses the '11-'12 length and the other the '13 and newer. Possibly you ordered / or received the wrong one?

Last edited:
A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
When I tryed the z bros 36" on my 2013 pro I felt it needed a 16 in shock to get the stock ride height back. But in doing so your ski stance wouldn't be 36" anymore.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
To sheetmetalfab:

What is your measurement from the floor to the center of your bumper?

Its not a factory bumper.
13" to the bolt the tape measure is pointing at.

I had 39" zbroz with 17.5" shocks on it before.
This is 1" taller.

Not sure how i like it since i only have 1 mile on them.

With ski's centered on the spindle it is 35" skag center to skag center

Even if i had 16" shocks i dont think i would have the 37" ski stance I thought i would have with these a arms and centered ski's.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
So just to give everyone an update on the offset spindles. They are awesome and I cannot feel any negative affects, only positive. I still have had no luck with finding a machinist who is confident enough to turn these out a good price. I will keep at it and may not have them available to next season now but it is definitely worth it.

A side note here For Pro owners that want that lighter feeling. I have a 14 and a 15 163 Pro. suspension adjustments alone can make the sled with the wider ski stance feel narrower than the sled with the offset spindles. Make sure you run shock springs as soft as you can, tighten center skid shock and loosen rear shock spring.

ps just added some photos of what is included

Photo 2015-12-01, 11 11 55 AM.jpg Photo 2015-11-26, 3 05 45 PM.jpg

Last edited:
M
Oct 13, 2009
wyoming
hmm. part of me wishes i would done this because it would have been cheaper than aftermarket arms but i just cant help but to think it would have more down side than up but maybe thats just me. Couldnt be happier with my alt impact 36'' kits but would there be any bennifit of doing both? My biggest reason going with dans was simply getting rid of the glued junk stockers, not to mention his design. To do the spindles still leaves you with stock arms. just some of my thoughts

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
Got the AI 36" painted and installed. So far superhappy with the fit and finish. Good instructions also. Have not been able to ride it yet thou.

IMG_0837.jpg

Premium Features