• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sway Bar Removal?

Should I remove my factory sway bar or keep the factory one on?

• Total voters
I
Sep 29, 2008
Idaho Falls Idaho
Ok I put fox floats on the front of my sled this spring and got a few rides on them and I really like them. I am wondering now that I have the better suspension should I remove the sway bar? Who has done it and do you like it? I am a big guy about 260lbs if that matters at all. Is it really that bad on the trail without a sway bar? I am also considering getting some powder pro's here shortly if that will effect the decision either way.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I would say keep it unless you have float evols . I have been considering floats myself . I took my sway bar out with the WE shocks I have and had to increase the preload alot to keep it from diving .

R
Mar 11, 2009
Utah
Ditch IT

I took mine out made a world of difference on steering for me. I have all stock shocks, mine is not wild on the trails, I weigh 230LBS.

Last edited:

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
I removed it from my 900 before I put floats on, just had to increase the preload.
It was even better after the floats, easier to adjust.

The need for sway bars comes down to if you have always rode with one in. It just won't feel the same with it out.

KSH

Last edited:

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
remove it

I took mine out last spring and can't believe I rode 1800 miles with that sway bar in there. I did have to install some zero-pros because it wanted to dive but with your floats you shouldn't have a problem. Remove it.

M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
If you Weighed 250 plus, why would you need to? The IQ chassis is already easy to rail on it's side. I run the floats up front and the powderpro skis and I would hate to see how it handles with the sway bar off. I weigh 200 and snicker at watching my buddies ride their rev chassis trying to side hill up the same stuff that I just did. I used to own a ski-doo zx chassis, and I noticed a night and day difference when I removed the sway bar. I too wondered why I didn't remove it earlier.:eek:. But that was on a trailing arm system chassis. Totally different from the IQ. I find the IQ chassis soooo much superior to the older technologies. I ride about 10percent trail, 90 percent mountain. IMO, it would feel pretty tipsy. But there seems to be quite a few guys that remove it. I guess if you want your sled to be very twitchy, this would be the way to do it. You could always try it, to see if you like.:beer;

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
Depends on what you like...I've got Powder Pros and Zero Pro shocks (stock off an AC, not revalved yet) and can ride down a straight trail with one ski a foot off the ground...but then I like the front end that loose;) Everyone that has ever taken my sled for a ride hates it because they feel like they're gonna tip over all the time:D:D:D I have yet to ride a sled that I can throw around as easily though.

I would think with Floats, you could compensate by adding air pressure:beer;

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
off!

Depends on what you like...I've got Powder Pros and Zero Pro shocks (stock off an AC, not revalved yet) and can ride down a straight trail with one ski a foot off the ground...but then I like the front end that loose;) Everyone that has ever taken my sled for a ride hates it because they feel like they're gonna tip over all the time:D:D:D I have yet to ride a sled that I can throw around as easily though.

I would think with Floats, you could compensate by adding air pressure:beer;

Exactly what he said..i like to be a little dangerous too..;)

i run floats w/o sway bar and like it..i am 255lb naked and beautiful!:eek:

M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
Hmmm......funny, cause I can go down the trail with one ski a foot off the ground too with no prob, with swaybar. I wonder if it matters about handle bar rise. I have a 6 inch rise. Maybe you guys are running a lower rise? Interesting.:confused: Now I'm starting to wonder if it would be worth trying. I like the fact that my sled is easy to turn over. Maybe I would like it even more???? lol.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Mac,

maybe your shocks are blown, thats why its easy to pull over, lol...jk..

i had WE air shocks on mine, with the swaybar..i could always yank it over.

then i yanked the sway bar when i installed Fox floats..and i love it..i am sure alot has to do with what shocks your running..wish i would have tried it before with the WE installed...kinda messes with the theory...

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Well, I guess the only thing to do is try riding the thing with no front shocks...lol. Oh, and no sway bar. Just to save the weight...

Turbo it first then the front will be in the air all the time anyways. If you are good you could probably take off the whole front suspension and just put a Skinz float plate up there. :whoo:

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Since this thread just popped up again I thought I should post a little more feedback.

I removed sway bar with WE front air shocks and it dove and tried to roll if you were on hard packed side hill. No way to adjust them.

Put stock 05 non-adjustable shocks back on same thing.

Installed Float Evols was still tippy, Aired them up to 95 lbs and it works awesome now.

A

aninchlow

Jul 2, 2009
looks like I have a project to do tonight. Whats the best way to get that sway bar off non-destructively?

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
unbolt it and I believe you can either tip sled up and pull it or take bolt out of shock on one side so suspension can drop further then pull it. Might have to unbolt lower A-Arm on one side.

Not 100% certain on this but pretty sure I read it somewhere. I used a sawzall and a rotary grinder.

Last edited:
Premium Features