• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trail tech voyager for us doo owners

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I just picked up a TT for my summit. I've got it connected to an old atv battery while I do the setup so I'm not doing it with the sled running.

I'm trying to test the buddy tracking with the polaris ride command app on my phone. I can't get either one to find each other. Does anyone know if it will connect to the cell phone ride command app or am I missing something?
I don’t know if it connects to the app what it do is connected Polaris Ride Command gauge. Your phone isn’t able to send and receive radio frequencies, so I’m assuming it doesn’t work with it.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
UPDATE!

Got my voyager pro to read my SD Cards. Turns out even though I was using the proper file format when formatting, Window was doing something to make the cards unreadable on the Voyager. I had my son who is in IT figure it out. As soon as we downloaded a 3rd party formatting software and used it, the cards now work. I shared this with ''trailtech so they can help others with this issue.
I have a similar issue but it only appears to be having trouble finding the map file. I used the same SD card for my update as i did download my Canada map. But when I go to the file select your page to download the map, the map file is invisible. however, when I go to the file display page in utilities, the map is available there but it only tells me what's on available on the card.

If this the proper file name for canada?

20240102_102500.jpg

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
So I ended up figuring it out shortly after posting.

Make sure, you are in the utility tab, when trying to update maps. You cannot update mapping in the map screen section. Although, acts like you can. It won't allow you to select files from in there.

J
Jul 20, 2008
Hi all I’ve been following this thread as I’ve now got my 12 and 16 year olds out riding and I’ve lost them a few times and hate that feeling until we radio enough to track them down. Have all ski doos, 18, 21 and a 22 850s. TT doesn’t look great, I’ve rode lots of mountain bike out of cell coverage with gear in devices. Anybody know anything about these? https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/702373#additional

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Hi all I’ve been following this thread as I’ve now got my 12 and 16 year olds out riding and I’ve lost them a few times and hate that feeling until we radio enough to track them down. Have all ski doos, 18, 21 and a 22 850s. TT doesn’t look great, I’ve rode lots of mountain bike out of cell coverage with gear in devices. Anybody know anything about these? https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/702373#additional
Garmin Tread's are nice. Never put one on my sled but have one for my side by side. But everyone has to have them or they aren't much use. I'm kinda wondering where I would even put on on my sled. I think Artic Cat might use those Garmin Treads as an option.

I wish they all used the same tech.

polaris/trail tech same tech, using radio signals for positions.

Ski Doo/ lynx has its own and kinda needs phone for buddy tracking ( crappy ).. doesn't use radio tech ( so its the worst )

Garmin Tread, cool uses radio tech, but different system from Polaris/Trail Tech.

I'm just gonna go with Trail Tech on my dirt bikes and sleds for navigation and buddy tracking and use a normal radio for voice.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Afer 2 weeks of riding, none of the Trail-techs in our group can stay charged enough just from the sled power. The battery is just too small or just charged too slow. We are all going to install a secondary battery that can take a charge faster and then transfer that to the Trail-Tech while the sleds are off during a break.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Afer 2 weeks of riding, none of the Trail-techs in our group can stay charged enough just from the sled power. The battery is just too small or just charged too slow. We are all going to install a secondary battery that can take a charge faster and then transfer that to the Trail-Tech while the sleds are off during a break.
You could always get the Trail Tech battery...

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
You could always get the Trail Tech battery...

Going to try something a little different. I have a 3600 mAH power bank that has lithium batteries. I know lithium batteries can be fussy but it has worked well for running my heated goggles and it charges fast and comes with a charger and charge port if needed. Has 12 volt port and USB 5 volt.

Last edited:

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Going to try something a little different. I have a 3600 mAH power bank that has lithium batteries. I know lithium battries can be fussy but it has worked well for running my heated goggles and it charges fast and comes with a charger and charge port if needed. Has 12 volt port and USB 5 volt.
Cool
Post back and let us know how it works out for ya.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
We are having the same issue. We have sections of trail that are 40km+, fairly warm Temps for those time of year (right around freezing). We have tried keeping sleds running, auxiliary charging at night. Auxiliary battery is the only thing we havent tried. Once the unit dies, all of our seem to go back to default setting and even erase out tracks from the day. Supper sketching when riding new alpine and it socks in on you.

Last edited:

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Finally testing my setup. I put a zener diode in the charging circuit so it doesn’t drain down overnight. This battery charging voltage matches the sled output 14.4 volts.IMG_3634.jpgIMG_3633.jpg

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Ok, the battery was connected 6 days ago and has stayed in the sled without disconnecting it at all. The first three days we were riding and the last three days it’s been sitting in the back of the truck and it’s been -35 to -10 for daytime highs. I just went out and messed with the Trailtec and the battery voltage was 13.2
Next time sledding I’m gonna leave my lights on dim the first half the day so the battery doesn’t charge all day.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
It sounds like until they get the battery/power issue resolved, it's not really worth the purchase. I have a Garmin Rhino 120 that's 20 years old that does buddy tracking and can be charged off the sled. Why doesn't trail tech? Am I missing something??

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
It sounds like until they get the battery/power issue resolved, it's not really worth the purchase. I have a Garmin Rhino 120 that's 20 years old that does buddy tracking and can be charged off the sled. Why doesn't trail tech? Am I missing something??
I've been in communications with TT. They don't have another option to charge without having another dock. The charger they offer to be hooked up to the dock harness, which is just not a very well thought out system. They should be supplying a power port dock on a charger for site unit charging. Or they really should be reconsidering the amphora battery selection in your units. It should be stated that their system recommends a battery supply for proper operation.

My biggest con ern with operating without a battery is that when the TT draws down to a low battery level, it defaults my user settings, kicks our out of your buddy group and erases my tracks from the day.

TT is working on a solution they say.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I've been in communications with TT. They don't have another option to charge without having another dock. The charger they offer to be hooked up to the dock harness, which is just not a very well thought out system. They should be supplying a power port dock on a charger for site unit charging. Or they really should be reconsidering the amphora battery selection in your units. It should be stated that their system recommends a battery supply for proper operation.

My biggest con ern with operating without a battery is that when the TT draws down to a low battery level, it defaults my user settings, kicks our out of your buddy group and erases my tracks from the day.

TT is working on a solution they say.

Good to know. I currently run a Lowrance GPS on my sled. I've got an Edge that is electric start, so I've got it hard wired. It doesn't have buddy tracking, but at least I know where I'm at. Am considering a Garmin Tread. Of course it would be nice to have something compatible with Cat and Poo. I guess time will tell.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Good to know. I currently run a Lowrance GPS on my sled. I've got an Edge that is electric start, so I've got it hard wired. It doesn't have buddy tracking, but at least I know where I'm at. Am considering a Garmin Tread. Of course it would be nice to have something compatible with Cat and Poo. I guess time will tell.
I looked at the garmin tread, but it isn't viable for buddy tracking in Canada because the radio frequency it uses is a restricted channel here.

250mark1

Sep 4, 2012
trailtech power supply/ charging is a joke that it wont charge off the sled needing another dock to be able to charge
can't learn how to even use it with out the sled running, so far a waste of money
any body tee into the power line to be able to unplug from the sled and plug in the wall charger at home ?

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
trailtech power supply/ charging is a joke that it wont charge off the sled needing another dock to be able to charge
can't learn how to even use it with out the sled running, so far a waste of money
any body tee into the power line to be able to unplug from the sled and plug in the wall charger at home ?
The TT has harness connentor for each accessory line of of it. You can plug into the unit if the harness is accessible, but only really viable in a shop. Not in a trailer, in a parking lot somewhwre

Last edited:
Premium Features