• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Twisted '09 M8 Overhaul

S

Snofreak3

Aug 13, 2012
Utah
www.facebook.com
So I bought this sled this past summer and was stoked to have a boosted sled. Rode it a couple times early season, and the first real ride, had it pretty well dialed in, it wasn't off by much. But it went down. It wouldn't start. It would fire, fire, backfire... etc. Got it off the mountain, thought it might be my stator and I wanted to do some other things so I pulled the motor and that's when it really turned into a project.

I had a crack in the bulkhead/tunnel connection where the steering post goes into. So I happened to run across Kevin's support plate, and it didn't stop there.
Put the BDX Anti-slop support in. Did some powder coating, can't really tell, as it's black but I figured it would help keep it cleaner. I polished the entire bulkhead. Rebuilt the reeds. Put a KOSO temp gauge on it. I completely redid my handle bar switch setup, I wanted to eliminate the TSS since I have a tether, and not worry about the pins and junk in those connections. So I used an RSI billet reverse switch, found some three position toggles with a ground on Amazon and moved it all down to the shroud. My lights are only on-off, so I just got a simple toggle for that. I already had the temp switch there to begin with. I put ODI Ruffian grips on with the bar insulators and some extra gasket paper to span the extra 2 inches. I put a bash plate on the clutch side belly pan from SKINZ and I'm glad I found that, I trash that side of my belly pan and was getting sick of patch work with ABS, rivets and a heat gun.

The problems I ran into were actually minimal. I was super careful when I redid the wiring to label EVERYTHING. When I pulled my grips off, the right hand hi wire was only making contact by pressure, so I tested my soldering ability and melted off the top plastic and soldered it back. And it actually worked. I pretty much rerouted all my wiring, it was such a mess when I bought it. I have to have my wires and everything zip tied and out of the way.
After I put it together, I wasn't getting any spark and figured it was something in the ECU because the stator OHMed out fine. Took it to a dealer, and found I had a pick-up coil plug tucked under my intake... That was a humbling experience... But it runs now. I didn't change anything but that Reverse switch as far as timing goes and I've heard that the reverse switch can get screwed up and cause backfires. Either way, it runs now. I'll take it up the mountain this weekend and see how it does. I can tell you right now, it feels crazy solid with those supports I put in. All I need now is a 3 inch Powerclaw. And a turbo Y-pipe. And a 36" front end. It never ends and I know this sled is out-dated but I'm still in college and trying to get my after-market parts company going so this is the most economical for me. Here are the pics, ask any questions or give me suggestions for improvements. I'm always open to hear how I can make things better! Keep 'er Pin'd!

20150110_175828.jpg 20150131_115543.jpg 20150131_162545.jpg 20150208_192638.jpg 20150228_155431.jpg 20150228_155027.jpg 20150228_155459.jpg 20150228_155358.jpg 20150228_155442.jpg 20150201_195755.jpg 20150201_195641.jpg 20150110_202212.jpg

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Whats a turbo y pipe? Most people are just using the stock ones i hear there all the same thickness of metal ive tried bikeman but the just crack along the weld as does d&d. What are you thinking? Sounds like the ho y pipe will work with a little fine tuning.

Last edited:

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
the stock oem Y-pipe is restrictive

the aftermarket y pipes are a lot less restrictive, SLP, D&D.

Premium Features