• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2021 EVO RMK issues

J
Oct 30, 2023
Ct
hello, looking for some guidance! I’m relatively new to snowmobiling and need some help.

we recently purchased a 2021 RMK Evo with about 1000 miles on it. The sled is super clean and has no signs of issues or mistreatment. I’ve also kept in good communication with the person that sold it to me and he has been very helpful , trying to answer all my questions. He states that the sled was in perfect order the last time it was ridden.

After we purchased it, the machine instantly had an issue. after riding it, the screen would start to flicker. In addition, when you put it in reverse, it would stall out. The flickering seems to have gotten worse over the last few weeks, and sometimes while riding, the screen is completely off. After a few minutes of riding it, and you come to a stop, you are at risk for it to stall. So needless to say, we're not using it.

in addition to the screen flickering, the headlights and tail lights would also dim. This seemed like a very good indicator to a voltage regulator issue, so we replaced that. No fix. We also tried swapping in a new CDI, which did not solve the problem.

not sure where to go from here. The stator? Throttle position sensor? My gut tells me that there’s a loose ground or bad connection somewhere. I read that in some of the earlier model machines, the reverse switch cluster often fails. I might look into that. The tail light was also broken, which I fixed. perhaps there’s a crimped wire at that harness.

anyways, I’ll take any help I can get! Thanks in advance!!

Dec 17, 2013
Out of curiosity, what elevation are you running the sled at? On my son’s 2019 EVO, any time we would take it to a higher elevation to ride, the screen would flicker off/ on. It wasn’t terrible so I never worried too much about it. Back home (at sea level) it never did it.

Overall, the EVO being a carb sled it can be finicky. Personally I wouldn’t be chasing loose grounds or a bad connection until I did a VERY good carb cleaning, including fresh premium fuel. Make sure to flush out ALL the old fuel prior to doing the carbs or you’ll just be introducing more bad fuel.

Also, there is a good group on Facebook dedicated specifically to the EVO sled. Someone on there might be able to help if you join that group. “Polaris Indy EVO”

Good luck figuring it out!

Premium Features