• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1991 Yamaha Ovation Starter Question —Help…..

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
So I have a 1991 ovation for my little guy and I installed a tether on it a while ago. Well, I decided to get the electric start fired back up and put a battery in it and it starts perfect with electric start, but I had to disconnect my tether.

Well while I had it running, I was testing some wires touching them together trying to determine how to connect the Killswitch and the tether back up and when I killed it, you could still hear the starter and that just seems weird.

The key is off/on type and doesn’t start and then back off to on position. It seems like this won’t work with a tether or even hitting the Killswitch because the starter spins and I’m just wondering if anybody knows what the problem is and why the starter is continuing to spin after killing the motor.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
If your key isn’t releasing the starter you need to install a push button.
It sounds like your wired wrong if kill switch and tether need modified to use starter.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
It sounds like your wired wrong if kill switch and tether need modified to use starter.
Ok. Ya, wonder how it was to work with factory kill switch when the key was left in run position, which is also start position.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Well, I got it figured out. I’ve got the Killswitch and the tether all wired into the sled and they work just fine as they should. I’m pretty sure that the ignition key switch is simply not killing power to the starter when it releases. It is a three position switch, but I just don’t think it’s killing the power after it starts. So I’ve ordered one and we’ll see if that fixes it.

I talked to shop here locally and he said that you could have an open ground or something grounding it which is causing the starter to continue on and I think that that’s just happening inside of the switch .

J
Jul 21, 2022
USA
So I have a 1991 ovation for my little guy and I installed a tether on it a while ago. Well, I decided to get the electric start fired back up and put a battery in it and it starts perfect with electric start, but I had to disconnect my tether.

Well while I had it running, I was testing some wires touching them together trying to determine how to Tutuapp 9Apps connect the Killswitch and the tether back up and when I killed it, you could still hear the starter and that just seems weird.

The key is off/on type and doesn’t start and then back off to on position. It seems like this won’t work with a tether or even hitting the Killswitch because the starter spins and I’m just wondering if anybody knows what the problem is and why the starter is continuing to spin after killing the motor.
How did you sort out this issue ?

Premium Features