• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking about jumping ship

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
Lmao, this is gold, lots of threatened Polaris owners creeping the doo threads.

After riding a boost with a 10hp tune and a Lynx track, I would not trade my G5 for one of those warranty laden recall sleds. Wow it’s like the sled feels like it’s 10years old compared to a doo. The same feeling I got when I got on a G4.
1800 track, clutching, 500 tune, and it was still a lazy dog on the bottom end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You nailed it

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
After owning Polaris for 10 years it’s been a great year to own a gen v. I know I’ll never have to find that 10m wrench again. Been strictly gas and oil. Normal clutch cleaning and greasing the skid. What a great year it’s been. Might have to sell all the Polaris clutch tools i accumulated.

imo brp really went after Polaris with gen v

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
1-4 times per month.
Look everything over.
Drop those screws in the snow, will ur hood stay on?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I to, look mine over a couple times a month, but in the shop.

No reason to out in the woods. Unless something catastrophic happens. In which case 3-4 screws is the least of my worries.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I to, look mine over a couple times a month, but in the shop.

No reason to out in the woods. Unless something catastrophic happens. In which case 3-4 screws is the least of my worries.

A buddy didn't get an electrical connection seated fully, came apart 5miles from the truck, had to remove the hood to get to it.

Had a sparkplug come apart on another sled, gotta get in there and replace it.

Lots of other scenarios that require removal of the hood in the field

All my sleds get the plastic removed their first day home.

Make sure something wasn't missed at assembly and knowledge for myself.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
How often are you guys reaaaaalllly truly taking the entire hood off? That you NEED a 20sec removal system?

The four T 25 screws, two plugs and the air box coupler are NOT hard to undo.

All that means is the next time you hit a pine cone the hood flys off.

2 quarter turns on the Polaris is still 10x easier.

Is a quick remove hood necessary? No. Is a turbo? No. It’s just nice to be able to pop the hood off anytime without tools. Pretty tough, and honestly stupid to argue that.

Doo needs to put more focus on the fewer parts and fasteners in the future, as well as easier assembly/disassembly. They suck to work on.

“Well you don’t have to work on them!?”… not the point.

H
Nov 27, 2007
Pleasant View Utah
First Doo purchase for me. Been on Poo for 25 yrs, but for 2024 Ski Doo has finally brought back the 15" track, and the rigid chassis, so I'm giving Doo a shot. Snow checked a Free ride 165 Turbo for next season. I'm hoping that this sled will be the best of both worlds with great handling, performance and longevity. I guess time will tell, but i'm excited about it! If I may include a quick message for the engineers at Doo. I've unzipped my fly here so don't disappoint me. Please fix the G5 chain case issues for 24. I'm getting to old to tow these things off the mountain.

S7even

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2015
Cascade Idaho
Well I went ahead an snowchecked a 154 expert turbo. I’m excited to try something different than I’m used to. I’ve been on 163 length sleds for awhile now but wanted something a little more playful this time. Hopefully I don’t end up missing the little bit longer track.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
Well I went ahead an snowchecked a 154 expert turbo. I’m excited to try something different than I’m used to. I’ve been on 163 length sleds for awhile now but wanted something a little more playful this time. Hopefully I don’t end up missing the little bit longer track.

It’s dependent on your snow conditions and how aggressive of a rider you are whether or not the 154 will work for you or not.

S7even

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2015
Cascade Idaho
For context, I’m 200 lbs in street clothes and ride central idaho/McCall area. We do have some deep days during the winter but the last few years, a lot of the season has been on more setup snow. Im an aggressive rider too so I think the 154 will work for most of the time.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
The 165 is going to be way more playful than the old 163. Imo, going to a 154 is going to be a Eye opener.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S7even

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2015
Cascade Idaho
Are you riding a 165 or a 154? I’ve had the chance to ride both but only for 5-10 minutes each, and not in anything steep.

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
2 quarter turns on the Polaris is still 10x easier.

Is a quick remove hood necessary? No. Is a turbo? No. It’s just nice to be able to pop the hood off anytime without tools. Pretty tough, and honestly stupid to argue that.

Doo needs to put more focus on the fewer parts and fasteners in the future, as well as easier assembly/disassembly. They suck to work on.

“Well you don’t have to work on them!?”… not the point.
Point is if you ride Polaris then it's a must to have quick hood release. Example was riding yesterday buddy's Polaris was running bad had to change plugs so yeah it was nice to take it off so quick so he didn't hold up the skidoos for very long. Fact of the matter is 96% of skidoo riders only take off one panel and thats to change a belt other than that if we so desire to take it apart it's in the warmth of our garage with a fridge full of beer.

C
Dec 15, 2017
Point is if you ride Polaris then it's a must to have quick hood release. Example was riding yesterday buddy's Polaris was running bad had to change plugs so yeah it was nice to take it off so quick so he didn't hold up the skidoos for very long. Fact of the matter is 96% of skidoo riders only take off one panel and thats to change a belt other than that if we so desire to take it apart it's in the warmth of our garage with a fridge full of beer.
Yep and when the chain case blows the cover off its on the outside of the tunnel. So your right no reason for the hood to come off easily.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Are you riding a 165 or a 154? I’ve had the chance to ride both but only for 5-10 minutes each, and not in anything steep.

Im on a 165 turbo, you mentioned 163 so thats the xm days, so I don’t know if you skipped a chassis series.
Im no stranger to powerful sleds, but for me, I would not have the stamina to hang on to a 154 turbo for a 4-5 day sled trip, especially if the snow is deep.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
Im on a 165 turbo, you mentioned 163 so thats the xm days, so I don’t know if you skipped a chassis series.
Im no stranger to powerful sleds, but for me, I would not have the stamina to hang on to a 154 turbo for a 4-5 day sled trip, especially if the snow is deep.

Couldn’t agree with this more. The 165 opens up more terrain with more ease and gracefulness than a 154. If I preferred spring riding to February deep pow days than a 154 would be in my garage.

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
Yep and when the chain case blows the cover off its on the outside of the tunnel. So your right no reason for the hood to come off easily.

Yup obviously a poo rider otherwise you would know all you have to doo is take the side cover off to access the chain case witch takes 20 seconds. Oh I know you can get your Polaris off in 8 seconds and thats what she said. ?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Only thing I like on the matryx over gen5 is the very very technical terrain. Whith low snow conditions, were your going 2mph to 10mph , trying to find a new way up a mountain. But to be fair this its on a n.a. 850 matryx. Vs. My gen5 turbo R.

Premium Features