• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking about jumping ship

S7even

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2015
Cascade Idaho
Alright guys, I currently ride a 2017 axys 800 with Mtntek turbo and I’m thinking of jumping ship to gen 5 expert turbo r next year.
Here’s a little background;
I have around 3500 mostly trouble free turbo miles on this sled. I’ve had a few electrical gremlins, one that I’m currently chasing and I did reeds and top end at 2500 and switched tracks at the same time but otherwise it’s ran very well for an aftermarket kit. I had Vohk install a sidekick when I snow checked it and ran that turbo set up to around 3000 before I switched to the adjustable Mtntek.
I rode a gen 5 expert turbo r 154 and a boost pro rmk 165 so not exactly the same but I got a good feel for both engines.
The gen 5 turbo r seemed to run perfect at all rpm’s and the boost seemed to have a rich spot mid range and bogged on me once, they were both in break in still when I rode them. The gen 5 engine definitely impressed me the most between them. Don’t get me wrong, both of the factory turbos were very impressive for stock sleds.
I like to explore steep side hills and creek drainages full of trees and the Polaris feels way more familiar to me but I’m sure I could get used to and confident in the Ski-Doo in that terrain with some time on one.
With snow check season coming up I’m trying to decide between the two of them. I know people from both sides read these threads so let me know what issues you’ve had with your sleds, from either brand, to help me decide between the two of them. I have heard of some g5 chain cases and reeds going down, and some boost clutches and fuel pumps go down but I’m curious what other issues everyone is having.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Gen v 700 trouble free miles here first doo since 2014 was on Polaris had a few in that time frame. I see no reason to go back at this time.

S7even

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2015
Cascade Idaho
The last doo I had was a 2011 xp with the 800 ptec. I hit a tree that should have just cost me an an arm, but instead it bent/broke the s and e modules so I’m curious on the durability of these gen 5s as well. That xp also killed a belt every 300-400 miles until I put a clutch kit in it, then I was averaging about 600 miles per belt so hopefully that has improved. I ride pretty aggressively for long periods of time and once I got this turbo axys clutching dialed, I’m averaging around 1000 per belt. I really disliked that xp which is what drove me away from Ski-Doo and I’ve never liked the chassis too much until this gen 5 expert. All the flex track and t-motion stuff just made me feel like the sled would do weird stuff on steep sidehills and overall feel like it wasn’tas precise as the Polaris chassis until this point.

D

Dennissledpool

Jul 19, 2022
Wisconsin
I was going n your shoes early Dec 2022. Polaris all the way for 20 plus years. Have a dialed in 18 800 Axys always there for me. Rode a buddy’s 23 ski Doo turbo r 165 for 2 days in Dec Awsome snow. Myself and the sled were flawless for 2 days of riding
Never could say that on my Polaris
The switch from Polaris to ski Doo was soooo easy. The turbo r just cuts thru the snow with skis perfectly 2’ off the snow. Serious confidence builder
Found a back out 23 skid Doo turbo r and bought it and never looked back
The ski Doo raised my rider level up 2 notches The good days are now great the mistakes are minor. The recoveries are easier and most important the pain level on my body has dramatically decreased cuz of the better riding I’m doing. Oh and forgot the stucks of old on the Polaris are almost non existent now Skill set has increased confidence level is Awsome and now can spend more days on the snow.
Buy a ski Doo turbo r.
Period!
Drop the mike!
You can thank me later after your checks stop hurting from laughing soo dam hard all day in your helmet

K
Apr 12, 2018
Just Doo it and don't look back. You will be giggling like a school girl the whole time. Nothing compares to the smoothness and power of the engine. The sled is unstoppable in the deep snow.

J
Oct 28, 2012
Idaho
Similar boat here. Road Polaris for the last 10 years then switched to a doo because I liked the dealer a whole lot better than my Polaris dealer and i was sick of working on my Polaris after 3 complete motors in 200 miles. Was really worried about the handling of the doo but I bought one and figured I’d be able to figure it out.

I bought the non turbo and am completely satisfied with making the switch. It took me a few rides to get confident on it (i had serious regret after the first ride, but stuck with it) but I figured it out and now it’s just all smiles. There was definitely a learning curve for me, as i cannot ride it in the same manner as a Polaris (but i can go the same places and probably more now), but I reaaallly like the sled now. It has phenomenal power, track hooks up great, fit and finish is top notch, etc. Don’t see myself going back to anything else. I think all three manufactures make a good sled, but I’m sure having a good time on the Doo.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Rode my buddys Gen 5 expert . Awesome engine. Horrible chassis. Still can’t hold a side hill

I have a Gen 5 Expert and have no issues with side hilling. Better than my Gen 4 Freeride was.

Maybe try adjusting suspension settings like front shocks and the limiter?

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
I just said i tried it. Its a buddys sled. Rode it back to back with my 22 Matryx slash 165 x 2.75 . Same hill same day. The gen 5 is a great sled. The rear just washs out on a steep side hill easier than a Polaris. Hey Ken 65 frebee. You mean you have to stand up on Ski Doo to sidehill !?!?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Skidoo side hill just fine on slopes 5°-20°.
They're ok on slopes 20°-30°.
Most people can't tell the difference between 30° and 50°, but think they side hill 80° slopes.
When they show u a pic or video, and they say, " its a lot steeper than it looks."
Well, not really...... while pics do conceal actual angles, it's more on the riders' perspective of the slope.

People who sidehill 40°-50° slopes will be better off on a polaris. They are simply the best sled for steep sidehills.

People who think ski-doos sidehill great are on the shallower hillside, and that's okay.
The angle of the slope doesn't affect ur manhood, so don't get upset. Not everyone is on the same level of riding.
Just understand that some people like the challenge of steeper slopes and that the ski-doos don't do well on those angles.

Ski-doos perform really well in other areas.
They're definitely the wheelie kings of the mountain sleds. Great engine, clutching performs well, even if the belts don't last as long.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
There is no doubt.. The bite I was taking with the gen 5 was steep. Then out of nowhere the tail washed out. My Poo doesnt do that. Honestly !!! I was surprised. And like I said great engine!!!!

S7even

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2015
Cascade Idaho
Thanks for the info guys. Especially about sidehilling them in the really steep stuff. I rode another g5 expert 165 today and enjoyed it a lot, but it wasn’t my sled so I didn’t feel comfortable trying it out on the really steep slopes in the trees.

D

Dennissledpool

Jul 19, 2022
Wisconsin
All sleds will wash out
Depends on track length
Snow depth
Degree of angle
Snow pack moisture
Subsoil under snow
Rider ability
Confidence level
Too much throttle
Foot placement on boards
Body position on sled
Etc etc etc
No denying the facts

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
Skidoo side hill just fine on slopes 5°-20°.
They're ok on slopes 20°-30°.
Most people can't tell the difference between 30° and 50°, but think they side hill 80° slopes.
When they show u a pic or video, and they say, " its a lot steeper than it looks."
Well, not really...... while pics do conceal actual angles, it's more on the riders' perspective of the slope.

People who sidehill 40°-50° slopes will be better off on a polaris. They are simply the best sled for steep sidehills.

People who think ski-doos sidehill great are on the shallower hillside, and that's okay.
The angle of the slope doesn't affect ur manhood, so don't get upset. Not everyone is on the same level of riding.
Just understand that some people like the challenge of steeper slopes and that the ski-doos don't do well on those angles.

Ski-doos perform really well in other areas.
They're definitely the wheelie kings of the mountain sleds. Great engine, clutching performs well, even if the belts don't last as long.

Sorry to hijack this thread but real quick, I’ve been looking for an angles expert to tell me what this hill looks like been riding across it since November 30th and it seems to be getting shallower. I don’t know my angels to well but it looks about like a 15/12 to me so ~60°. I don’t know my speed square is at the job site. G5s will sidehill almost anything except old tracks. D9DA87EA-EBCA-4673-9B27-E42300019924.jpeg

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Sorry to hijack this thread but real quick, I’ve been looking for an angles expert to tell me what this hill looks like been riding across it since November 30th and it seems to be getting shallower. I don’t know my angels to well but it looks about like a 15/12 to me so ~60°. I don’t know my speed square is at the job site. G5s will sidehill almost anything except old tracks. View attachment 400697
A yamaha will sidehill in deep snow! , just like a doo.

The deeper the snow, the shallower the angle becomes.

If u think ur skidoo is great at sidehilling, then it's perfect for u. If it does the steepest slopes u can handle, that's awesome.
Just don't be upset when a polaris does a steeper line than u feel comfortable with.

In all honesty, u could very easily take a level with u and measure slopes.

I did it a few times so that I have a better understanding of what the actual angles are, and im not just talking out my Azz like the rest of u.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Steep enough you can side hill up and elevator down. I have no idea on the angle. Track length makes a difference. The Gen 5 and my Matryx are both 165 NA sleds . The gen 5 bone stock. Mine 22 Matryx 940 twin pipe with a big wheel kit and a muffpot. Maybe its the muffpot that makes it sidehill better???? HMMMM

Last edited:
Premium Features