• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking about jumping ship

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
What’s the best for a new rider you think? Besides break downs and ego just literally learning to snowmobile
Any 800-850 with a 163-165. They are all good sleds.

Best thing for a beginner is to focus on riding, not the sled. Riding consecutive days is a big deal for progress IMO.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I used to love Doo. Rode an xp, xm then gen 4 over 10 years. I started seeing the limitations of the chassis as I got better. I started riding with a few Polaris and couldn’t sidehill the stuff they were. No matter how hard I tried I couldn’t get that chassis to stop washing out.

I switched to Polaris and couldn’t believe how much better and more fun it is in the super technical stuff. Not even a comparison imo. The Doo chassis is TERRIBLE in anything technical.

I jumped on a g5 and an alpha on the same day a few days ago. Snow conditions were ok but not super deep. the alpha was substantially better than the g5. Easier to throw around and kept a line just as easy. But then I jumped back on my Polaris and remembered why I loooove the Polaris chassis. It just performs so good.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
A perfect example of a meadow muffin who is happy on the Doo.

You’re gonna be wishing you had a boggy Polaris when you grenade a chaincase in your favorite meadow

meadow muffin? You’ve never ridden with me will be in Revy Feb 24-28 come ride we can compare notesWell that’s if you get that vibration figured out, the bog and those clutch rollers fixed on that brand new sled that blew a belt in 14miles . Kinda figured you were pretty low brow when all you got was meadow muffin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P
Dec 15, 2018
What is the exact definition of meadow muffin ? Some meadows are in the mountains and rolling. Is a park or a glade a meadow ? Does a meadow muffin only ride the meadow from the road? If you bushwhack to the meadow are you still a muffin? Are you only not a muffin if you do steep trees? Or is a meadow muffin just a cowardly guy? Iam by the way still not able to ride a meadow so I get to ask this lame question. What do you guys cal the best riders? Who do you thinks the goat? Chadley you can’t say you are. Lol

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
What’s the best for a new rider you think? Besides break downs and ego just literally learning to snowmobile
Doo for sure, and I am a Polaris rider. They are easy to ride easy as you can use body weight to push down & pull up, on the bars to turn the steering. (more horizontal steering post) On the Polaris it is a push forward & pull backward technique (more vertical steering post) that uses more muscle than weight. BUT when hanging off the side of the sled in gnarly terrain the forward/backward technique is easier than up/down motion on the bars. This makes the Polaris harder in the easy stuff and easier in the hard stuff. As a new rider you want it easy in the easy stuff.

C
Nov 29, 2008
All sleds will wash out
Depends on track length
Snow depth
Degree of angle
Snow pack moisture
Subsoil under snow
Rider ability
Confidence level
Too much throttle
Foot placement on boards
Body position on sled
Etc etc etc
No denying the facts
Sure they do but doo washes out before poo ...

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

C
Nov 29, 2008
You bought a Skidoo hoping it wouldn’t feel like a skidoo…

Yeah it's why brp dropped t motion flex track bs and went to 15" track and making a big deal about slimming down body work ...sounds like he's trying to finish brps work ..

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
Yeah it's why brp dropped t motion flex track bs and went to 15" track and making a big deal about slimming down body work ...sounds like he's trying to finish brps work ..

They didn’t drop t motion they refined t motion and it still comes in most of their mtn sleds except one. Lynx went to a 15 wide track not BRP. They always been slimming them for years now shortening tunnels. All manufactures have slimmed down cause they understand the concept of paneling out

Want to try again or…?

C
Nov 29, 2008
They didn’t drop t motion they refined t motion and it still comes in most of their mtn sleds except one. Lynx went to a 15 wide track not BRP. They always been slimming them for years now shortening tunnels. All manufactures have slimmed down cause they understand the concept of paneling out

Want to try again or…?

Yeah Muskoka Matt's non flex edge track is turning into a flex edge ....
Doos DI & shot are the jizzz but boards still aren't as stiff ..guage looks like a galaxy tablet and maybe tracks your buddy if you're within cell coverage ...
finally decided that you don't need 15 fasteners to hold on a cowling ...
Looking forward to trying one soon but so I can give an honest opinion but in any regard most likely will continue to beat on my axys for another while as it gets me where I want to go.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Want to try again or…?

"Lynx went to a 15 wide track not BRP."
Ummmmmmm...........
Please look at the picture and Remember, BRP is the parent company to all of those companies, and more...

"They didn’t drop t motion they refined t motion and it still comes in most of their mtn sleds except one."

Would this be an oxymoron?
They refined T-motion so much in the Expert that it is like all other NON T-motion suspensions.... think about that one for a few days or weeks if u need to.

"They always been slimming them for years now shortening tunnels. All manufactures have slimmed down cause they understand the concept of paneling out"
I'm still trying to figure out if you understand what you're saying.

Skidoo is narrowing their panels, like Polars has done since 2011. Shortening their tunnel like cat has done since 2009.

I'm glad they're doing it. It makes their sled so much better. But it literally took them more than a decade of watching the other 2 brands excelling to finally make the change.
baf102c4ed93ff42d30e08298dc2b97e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

D

Dizzle

Nov 19, 2012
Oregon
There's no "wrong answer" today. The 3 brands all make a great sled.

What would make me nervous about the G5 is obviously the chain case. I've seen several tracks that are tearing lugs and ratcheting/stretching. Muskoka has his track stretched so damn tight to help combat the ratcheting that it's breaking the fiberglass rods in it. The reeds are apparently having a failure rate for some reason too?? Weird.

The Polaris - I might be concerned about the P22 clutch. I dunno if that comes on all the 23' sleds or if it's just the 9, but they've had some issues. And both the 9 and Boost WILL benefit from clutching adjustments, which is kind of garbage to me since it's a brand new sled but I guess you have to factor in all the different elevations that they may/may not be ridden at.

If I were OP and I was gonna be riding with other Polaris riders, and they all had the 7S display, then I would buy the Polaris. The rider tracking is that cool to me. I personally prefer the taller and narrower feel of the Polaris chassis, but the refinement of the BRP product is nice. They remind me of American muscle vs. European exotic.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
How often are you guys reaaaaalllly truly taking the entire hood off? That you NEED a 20sec removal system?

The four T 25 screws, two plugs and the air box coupler are NOT hard to undo.

All that means is the next time you hit a pine cone the hood flys off.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
How often are you guys reaaaaalllly truly taking the entire hood off? That you NEED a 20sec removal system?

The four T 25 screws, two plugs and the air box coupler are NOT hard to undo.

All that means is the next time you hit a pine cone the hood flys off.

1-4 times per month.
Look everything over.
Drop those screws in the snow, will ur hood stay on?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Lmao, this is gold, lots of threatened Polaris owners creeping the doo threads.

After riding a boost with a 10hp tune and a Lynx track, I would not trade my G5 for one of those warranty laden recall sleds. Wow it’s like the sled feels like it’s 10years old compared to a doo. The same feeling I got when I got on a G4.
1800 track, clutching, 500 tune, and it was still a lazy dog on the bottom end.

R

Remmy

Dec 28, 2003
Ya, no doubt Doo killed it with the G5 Turbo R. I was supposed to pick up a 23' Boost 165 but prior to delivery I got my hands on a Freeride 154 Turbo. A few rides on that Freeride and I picked up a 23' Expert Turbo instead of the Boost...They can have my $500 and go ahead and sell the Boost to someone else...The G5 is king this year plain and simple.

Premium Features