• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Paying to ride with the "big boys"

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I have paid the cash to ride with the "big boys" and can't say it was worth it in my case. Not because I know everything or think I do. Simply because expectations were not established and I went before I really knew how to ride properly.

With that said, it was an interesting experience and I met some great people. Move importantly, it was a great reality check.

Since then, I've gone riding with some great people and made some lifelong friends in the process. I'm not the best rider and don't pretend to be, but I'm not afraid of going anywhere that rider safety isn't compromised and I feel I can hold my own even though I'm a "flatlander" ;)

I would like to explore BC this year and will probably look into a "guide". Time is money and it's tough when you have to book vacation in advance, only to ride in crummy snow!

Make your expectations known up front and agree on a plan, it will avoid the "sting" when it comes time to pay your bill, because 3 days with the top guys doesn't come cheap.

Finnlandr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2009
Parts Unknown
I would like to explore BC this year and will probably look into a "guide".

I highly recommend Chris Brown......he's who I hired in Whistler....without a doubt one of the best riding experiences I've had.

And as a bonus he'll take some great pics for you :face-icon-small-coo ...see my previous post.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
hey,

If u are guiding by donation instead of charging people, that may be a way around having to get a tenure or having to be licensed, sorry to hear that happened to you....i imagine they were the "jealous type"?

Nope, I just ride and if folks want to hang out and ride then it's all good.

Not since PJ quit

:devil:

Oh, for f@#ks sake man. Really?

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Boy, I hope a few of the guys I have met recently don't start charging me to ride with them! I don't think I can afford it.

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
They usually are....

You can't accept compensation ($) for guiding on public land without a tenure or sub-tenure agreement in BC or a permit with the Forest Service in the states. The plus side to this is it makes for responsible guide companies who are required to carry insurance, avalanche training and medical training.

This is what makes for a professional operation. Also, most of these "guides" offer so much more than just guiding. Guiding is not the focus of Mountain Skillz. Ironically our focus is MOUNTAIN SKILLZ:) This is broken into 3 parts. Avalanche safety&awareness, mountain safety, awareness, and preperation, and improving riding skills on a personal individual level. It just so happens that we have an awesome area to explore while working everything in. I'm very fortunate to be conducting business in my home area, legally:) We are also working with a local avalanche school and have scheduled 5 snowmobiling Intro to Avalanche Safety courses. We created our business because we want to help people in an industry that we are extremely passionate about and feel that there are a lot of aspects to snowmobiling too frequently overlooked.

All of the different organizations have different unique qualities and experiences to offer. I have personally ridden with Brown, Burandt, and Dan Adams and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend anyone ride with all of them. Actually, the best experience would probably be to hit them all up as well as some of the others out there. Whatever may suite you, be safe and have a great winter! Hope to see you in southern Colorado.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
any "big girl" guides out there?

Not since PJ quit

:devil:

OH MY HELL! Bwaaaaaaaahahaaa :evil:

There are several ladies offering clinics, but I'm unaware of any offering these types of "GUIDE" services at this time.

But, most (I say most due to safety type reasons) are welcome to come play with me any time! I'll guide you around... we will get lost.. and we will have a riot! :bounce:

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
OH MY HELL! Bwaaaaaaaahahaaa :evil:

There are several ladies offering clinics, but I'm unaware of any offering these types of "GUIDE" services at this time.

But, most (I say most due to safety type reasons) are welcome to come play with me any time! I'll guide you around... we will get lost.. and we will have a riot! :bounce:

You! Ninja Sex.

Meany

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I would pay to find out what I don't know and to ride with someone that can push to new limits. All the names I know out there seem to be good ppl, so all the way around your going to have a good time at any skill level.
But in reality, I say all of the above.
pay to ride
meet new friends and ride
drag newbies around and teach them
I think its all a good experience.

Premium Features