• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

24 catalyst 154 clutch noise? Belt drive?

P
Dec 15, 2018
Was wondering if any of you salty dawgs could help me learn a little bit more about stuff. Today my buddy was riding my sled and he got stuck and he tried to wiggle and soin the track to clear it out and it was one of those times that the e fine tried to rev and the belt tried to soin and it just acted stuck . So he let off thank goodness but it smelled like belt and after we got it out now there’s a loud “tick tick tick” at idle and it sounds like the primary clutch but I am a noob and don’t know but know it ain’t good? Any idea how I can check or what I should do look for look at ect? Thanks . I do not know how to disassemble the clutch but I can google maybe

P
Dec 15, 2018
Can’t figure out a video but it definitely sounds like a knock and it’s pronounced under slight acceleration. Didn’t run it with belt engaged. Know it engages and runs cause it got out yesterday . Belt just looks like a belt no obvious damage? The weights are easily moved and make a adubile click but I dunno if that’s normal or if it’s not? Shoot want to go ride today but don’t feel like I trust it and don’t want to make it worse or is there a worse besides getting towed out . Bummer. Should never let yer friends ride your new snowmobile lol

A
Mar 21, 2023
WA
The only thing it could be at idle is clutch or engine related. Obviously, the clutches aren’t engaged at idle, so that rules out anything from the secondary back.
I would hope your new sled is still under warranty, and would take full advantage of that.
Also, if you plan on doing any of your own work/ maintenance get a factory service manual from Cat, has all the specs, disassembly/assembly instructions and includes diagnostic procedures.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Sorry, spin lol. I took the ascender into the biggest day I’ve personally ever riden and i really think the catalyst is so much easier to ride. I’ll go through the clutch and post pics and try to do a video. Something is definitely different than before

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
Was wondering if any of you salty dawgs could help me learn a little bit more about stuff. Today my buddy was riding my sled and he got stuck and he tried to wiggle and soin the track to clear it out and it was one of those times that the e fine tried to rev and the belt tried to soin and it just acted stuck . So he let off thank goodness but it smelled like belt and after we got it out now there’s a loud “tick tick tick” at idle and it sounds like the primary clutch but I am a noob and don’t know but know it ain’t good? Any idea how I can check or what I should do look for look at ect? Thanks . I do not know how to disassemble the clutch but I can google maybe
Sounds like drive CVT belt is loose. They stretch quickly when new and you have to adjust belt tension several times in the first 500 miles or so.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Sounds like drive CVT belt is loose. They stretch quickly when new and you have to adjust belt tension several times in the first 500 miles or so.
They adjust automatically. He either screwed up belt an put a flat spot in it or if there is a chance you can screw up that bearing

P
Dec 15, 2018
Well crap, I didn’t THINK it was the belt just because it makes that knock long before the belt even turns? So is there a bearing in the middle of the shaft between the sheeves? Would a flat spot on the belt make a difference before it was spinning? The knock is less obvious at higher rpm’s ? Just asking not pretending to know

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
A loud tick at idle, hope it’s not rod knock or a piston ring catching port of cylinder. Ouch
Make sure it’s not an exhaust leak

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
A loud tick at idle, hope it’s not rod knock or a piston ring catching port of cylinder. Ouch
Make sure it’s not an exhaust leak
Best piece of advice my dad said he ever got, from another veterinarian, was if you hear the thundering of horses don't be looking for elephants.

P
Dec 15, 2018
I can hear it at the primary and it’s more a solid “tick “ than a rod/piston knock but it is rhythmic but I think it’s the clutch. I’ll change the belt first and whol it’s off inspect the bearing best I can and go from there. I don’t guess clutches change the way they sound because of any other reason than damage? Thanks

Premium Features