• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Paying to ride with the "big boys"

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Thanks guys great advice I think I will try it. How many people do I need to get together what sized groups do they take?

CANNONMAN

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Colorado/Wisconsin
www.thundermountainlodge.net
This comment below is very well written and says it all. One of the problems as a lodge owner who has guided trips is EVERYBODY is the greatest powder rider in the world 'WHILE SITTING AT THE BAR" once one of my guides takes them to the steep and deep not so much. It is a fine line making sure the client and guide match up and the client has a good time. I used to think I would never need a guide to show me how to ride but have since changed my tune. If you can ride quite well and are going to new terrain I would certainly hire a guide as you most likely will have limited time and they will show you the best terrain you can handle. When I think about all the money I wasted trying to save money hunting on my own, learning new territory after traveling 20 hours and only having a week I could kick myself. Same with sledding, you can find all kinds of riding up here quickly that will be sufficent for 99% of most riders, but for the best stuff you need knowledge of the area and that takes time. We have guides for all abilities, a couple are as good as I have ever seen just don't have the video! A good lodge would tailor your trip to the best guide experience you can handle. Just be honest with your abilities and you will have a great time and learn a ton. I have one guide here a local (Ryan M1000Mod162) who will blow you away with his skills. Matt Entz @ mountianskillz.com also is a great example, who will show you and teach you a ton, you can see his skills on Tudizzles videos on here. Hire one and enjoy.

I feel like I'm a pretty skilled rider and can sniff out the sweet spots most anywhere we go. But if i was looking to hire a guide in a different state or somewhere I felt I could ride on to off limits property or private property, I wouldn't hesitate to look for the best rider I could afford! I also am not so full of myself like crfed, that I think there's nothing to learn!

I was lucky enough to get hooked up with Matt Entz in S. Colorado one year! Just me and him out in some sick terrain that I would have never found by myself! Looking back on that day, I would pay good money to do it again! Super cool laid back humble dude that I very much enjoyed seeing tear it up!!! And push my skills to my limit!

That's where hiring a Pro rider pays off. They are there to teach you something! Not just take you to the cool spots. There is always a technique or move to learn!:face-icon-small-win

Checkout Matt Entz in SOCO! @ mountainskillz.com You'll thank me later! :yo:

Last edited:
E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
lodge

Thanks for the info. PM me with your rates when you have time. I think I have met you my pal Sonny bought a grey trailer from you a year or so ago. We will ride anywhere if the snow is good. Thanks

J

jaysonfreerider

Jul 18, 2008
Troy, MT
Im sure there are plenty of riders out there that are just as good as some of those big name riders that just dont care if they are getting paid to do it. They just like to ride. And im sure many would be willing to take ya out to show ya some new things for free. Then ya dont have to worry about the legal stuff like said above. Just sayin.

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Sledding

I would agree with both of you. I would like to go to oregon and ride but I do not think my sled will run at that elevation and it is along ways away. I am not a great rider but am ok and show people around from time to time. I would just feel bad tagging along and not doing something. pay or buy beer whatever. In all honesty this kills 2 birds with one stone for me. I learn the area meet people, and improve the technical aspect of my riding. I would not do this every weekend but once a year maybe. If I ever a few more buddies without DUI's convinced to go to revelstoke i would hire the bast guide possible once.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
I feel like I'm a pretty skilled rider and can sniff out the sweet spots most anywhere we go. But if i was looking to hire a guide in a different state or somewhere I felt I could ride on to off limits property or private property, I wouldn't hesitate to look for the best rider I could afford! I also am not so full of myself like crfed, that I think there's nothing to learn!

!:face-icon-small-win

Checkout Matt Entz in SOCO! @ mountainskillz.com You'll thank me later! :yo:

Listen I said each to there own, I go out riding with my riding buddies and kids. Is this a competition to me NO, I do it as a stress relief and spend time with freinds and family.

You want to be the elite rider and TRAIN for your time in the lime light go ahead. If you want to go hire dudes to show you how to ride thats your business. If you have a man crush for the guys in the sledding vids that is also your business.

Different strokes for different folks. Again this is my opinion. I dont think I am the best rider or do I care who is. I do alright in our group, and thats all that matters to me.

Last edited:
S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
ride along with me for free.youll become a extreme rider or begging to go sit in the truck.

Some of these guys go off groomed trail, plus a lot of them have over 100 HP, now I'm sure you are probably skilled compared to the kids you trail ride with, but don't get cocky, hate to see ya get hurt. Stick to internet domination, hey.... we all gotta be good at something.

J

Jorli

Jul 13, 2009
www.highmarkfilms.com
Thanks guys great advice I think I will try it. How many people do I need to get together what sized groups do they take?

We try to limit our group size to 4 maximum for 3 days, that seems to be the best overall value and manageable on our end. We have 50,000 acres of the world's sickest terrain and hopefully in 3 days, you'll see three very different aspects of it. Its all about building skills and having fun, this recipe allows for a lot of personal attention.

Last edited:
D

dmaxd2500

Sep 29, 2009
G WYO
Those are some pretty sick vids! We mite have to make a trip north of the border this year Fast Ed. Looks like it would be worth it.

J

Jorli

Jul 13, 2009
www.highmarkfilms.com
can you stay above 7000 ft in bc or is it all pretty low elevation?

Our highest point is about 7500-8000, we start as low as 1000, most of the riding is between 5500 and 7000, If you come to BC, make sure you're clutched for 5500 - 7000 ft. Whistler is about the same as the rest of the Province.

Last edited:

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
If you come to Colorado, I'll show you some spots. Very rarely ride trails and I am always trying new stuff.

In my area I ride in I know almost every nook and cranny. Saw some areas last season that I wanna get into but the snow sucked too bad. Plan on exploring some different areas this coming season.

More than welcome to join the fun. All we ask is that you have and know how to use your avy gear. Simple, huh?

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I don't have a "man crush" on any famous riders, but I have gotten a chance to ride with a couple and I enjoyed it. The reasons are simple, it pushes your preconceived expectations of what's possible on a sled and your own skills. I also consider myself a better than average rider, but am the first to admit that there is much that can be improved upon and look forward to learning every time we go ride. I am thrilled to have guides in some of the areas that I ride in Co and even more so when I'm out in Utah and Cali. When people are traveling long distances to ride, having a guide makes the trips that much more enjoyable and that's what we are all looking for.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I ride Rabbit Ears, Buff Pass, Spring Creek, up past Columbine. Have ridden Wolf Creek and wanna try hitting the Grand Mesa.

Generally don't need to stay anywhere, as I live 15 minutes away. I did stay at SouthFork when I rode WC. Have never stayed at the Mesa, but plan on trying it this winter with some friends to keep costs down.

MOst of the time I ride RE because there really is no need for me to travel. When the snow is good there are PLENTY of places to get you in trouble. LOL

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
I don't have a "man crush" on any famous riders, but I have gotten a chance to ride with a couple and I enjoyed it. The reasons are simple, it pushes your preconceived expectations of what's possible on a sled and your own skills. I also consider myself a better than average rider, but am the first to admit that there is much that can be improved upon and look forward to learning every time we go ride. I am thrilled to have guides in some of the areas that I ride in Co and even more so when I'm out in Utah and Cali. When people are traveling long distances to ride, having a guide makes the trips that much more enjoyable and that's what we are all looking for.

I agree 100%, a guide is a smart move if you are going on vacation and need someone to show you the area.

Just cause I dont feel the need to spend thousands of $$$ to have someone show me how to ride better, doesnt mean I have nothing to learn and I am full of myself it's just not for me and probably not for alot of other sledders out there.. Camparing riding abilities and being the best of the best at sledding is just not that important to me.

The "man crush" comment was not directed at you Skibreeze it was directed at the guy that somehow wants to knock someone cause they dont agree with his point of view. I apoligize ACmntcat that I dont have a man crush on your sledding hero's

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Listen I said each to there own, I go out riding with my riding buddies and kids. Is this a competition to me NO, I do it as a stress relief and spend time with freinds and family.

You want to be the elite rider and TRAIN for your time in the lime light go ahead. If you want to go hire dudes to show you how to ride thats your business. If you have a man crush for the guys in the sledding vids that is also your business.

Different strokes for different folks. Again this is my opinion. I dont think I am the best rider or do I care who is. I do alright in our group, and thats all that matters to me.

I can definitely say you're someone I wouldn't ride with even if it was free! I'll return the neg rep.:yo:

D

dmaxd2500

Sep 29, 2009
G WYO
I too would like to ride the Mesa. I've heard from several different people that it's the bees knees.

PJ-Thanks for the offer. Fast Ed and I ride together and would be more than willing to come visit this winter. We ride the Snowies alot but have never made it across the border to experience what CO has to offer.

Great info guys! Very helpful!

Premium Features