• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Paying to ride with the "big boys"

B
Dec 12, 2007
w.kootenays
guided tours

The best thing about sledding is the exploration, there's no exploration when following a guide.

just my take.....

side note : I'm sure it would be fun riding with any of the "guides" as i'm pretty sure they know a thing or 2 about exploration lol,

cheers,

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
The best thing about sledding is the exploration, there's no exploration when following a guide.

Bingo!!!
I agree whole heartedly.
However, the thrill of exploration turns into nervous energy about 4 PM when you realize that nobody in the group agrees on which way to head back & the tanks are on 1/8!

Side note: PJ is a good dude to ride with, our crew will vouch for him!

Finnlandr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2009
Parts Unknown
Spent a couple weeks in BC (Whistler, Revy) last season and hired a guide in each location ...one on one...instead of a clinic it was nice to be able to focus on what "I" wanted to improve on.

Had a great time....terrain is unbelievable up there.

And when I return I have several new riding areas to choose from.

Not something I do all the time but it was worth the experience.

IMG_1988 by Brandon-H, on Flickr
IMG_0166 by Brandon-H, on Flickr
IMG_0167 by Brandon-H, on Flickr

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado

just my take.....

side note : I'm sure it would be fun riding with any of the "guides" as i'm pretty sure they know a thing or 2 about exploration lol,

cheers,

Wanna bet? Ask the guys that I had follow me into the dark timber. just because one follows doesn't mean it ain't exploring. I have had guys come with me into a general area and then on a whim I decide to try this line. End up in a meadow I haven't seen before, or a drainage that requires 10% Skill, 80% balls and 10% sheer insanity to get out. The only thing I know that they don't is which way is North. Because when folks that are new ride with me I twist, turn and back track choosing lines and confuse the hell outta them.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Side note: PJ is a good dude to ride with, our crew will vouch for him!

Thank you. That means a lot. You should come up this year. I found some other spots. If we get some good snow South of 40 I found some really cool stuff while bow hunting this year.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Wanna bet? Ask the guys that I had follow me into the dark timber. just because one follows doesn't mean it ain't exploring. I have had guys come with me into a general area and then on a whim I decide to try this line. End up in a meadow I haven't seen before, or a drainage that requires 10% Skill, 80% balls and 10% sheer insanity to get out. The only thing I know that they don't is which way is North. Because when folks that are new ride with me I twist, turn and back track choosing lines and confuse the hell outta them.

How much does that cost?:face-icon-small-con

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
I have been riding for many years, and know my own little honey holes in my local riding areas. That being said, so does anybody with years of back country riding. Whenever my buddies and I decide to go riding outside of our main riding areas, whether it be on holidays, or just a weekend trip, we generally try to hire a guide, for at least a day. A good guide will ask you what kind of rider you are, start you off easy, and push you after they evaluate your abilities. The best part is, we have been offered, on a few occasions, to come back and ride with guys, just for fun, because we all enjoy a ride with a good riding partner.

B
Dec 12, 2007
w.kootenays
hey,

So are u saying you have 10 percent skill?

K

knzee

Dec 29, 2008
Great Falls, MT
Nothing worse then taking a new guy to your honey holes just to have him think it is a competition all day to out ride everyone in the group. Everytime you do some hill or some group of trees the new azzhat is trying to get 2 feet higher and then he has to tell all the guys he usually rides with how he put a stompin on everybody that day.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
hey,

sorry couldn't help myself......hehe, no need for name calling, i luv all snomobilers.....and to get back on track, do u guide?

Yes and no. I did when I was laid off 3 years ago, under the table to try and pull in some money to support my kids. But certain people on these forums and another big name "guide" that was also un-licensed turned me in. Luckily the USFS deemed the small amount of money I brought in was not worth the prosecution. So I got a very stern warning and they went after the big name guide. So now, I just ride and if folks wanna come, they come. I don't ask for a penny. I haven't made one red cent snowmobiling since 2009.

But that's over now. I try to not harbor the negativity to them but sometimes it's very hard.

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Helpful

Thanks guys this is great info I am getting more and more pumped to ride this year. PJ U gonna be at the snow show?

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Thanks guys this is great info I am getting more and more pumped to ride this year. PJ U gonna be at the snow show?

I might be. I don't really need to buy any gear and I only have some Ski-Doo XP stuff to sell that is just takin up space on a shelf.

I want to go, but am afraid that I might see something I want but don't need and end up dropping $500. Only thing I need is oil and that's been handled already. Plus I'm jonsing to get out duck hunting again.

P
Oct 13, 2009
Castlegar, BC
To me local terrain knowledge is invaluable when it comes to safe back country travel. Sure you can duck and dodge trees to find new honey holes, but how do you know that your new rabbit hole isn't leading you off a 100' cliff? How do you know which slopes are prone to slide, and where to find safe passage? Not to mention what happens when a storm rolls in and you can't see 5' in front of your sled? It all happens here...

That being said, not everyone that calls themself a guide is licensed or practises safe sledding. Not sure if it's the same in the States, but you can look on the gov website for a list of guides and tenures here in BC. And ask around about other people's experiences before you go. Not on forums, but ask real people that aren't posting under an alias... JMO

R

RidewithChrisBrown

Nov 17, 2011
www.ridewithchrisbrown.com
Yes and no. I did when I was laid off 3 years ago, under the table to try and pull in some money to support my kids. But certain people on these forums and another big name "guide" that was also un-licensed turned me in. Luckily the USFS deemed the small amount of money I brought in was not worth the prosecution. So I got a very stern warning and they went after the big name guide. So now, I just ride and if folks wanna come, they come. I don't ask for a penny. I haven't made one red cent snowmobiling since 2009.

But that's over now. I try to not harbor the negativity to them but sometimes it's very hard.

Oh the politics PJ....unfortunately they can take the fun right out of it sometimes.

B
Dec 12, 2007
w.kootenays
hey,

If u are guiding by donation instead of charging people, that may be a way around having to get a tenure or having to be licensed, sorry to hear that happened to you....i imagine they were the "jealous type"?

R

RidewithChrisBrown

Nov 17, 2011
www.ridewithchrisbrown.com
hey,

If u are guiding by donation instead of charging people, that may be a way around having to get a tenure or having to be licensed, sorry to hear that happened to you....i imagine they were the "jealous type"?

They usually are....

You can't accept compensation ($) for guiding on public land without a tenure or sub-tenure agreement in BC or a permit with the Forest Service in the states. The plus side to this is it makes for responsible guide companies who are required to carry insurance, avalanche training and medical training. Pretty much every tour company and guide I know started und the radar and at some point had to face the facts. At that point you either bite the bullet and work on permits and tenure or you walk away. They don't make it easy that's for sure...but it is rewarding when you get through the red tape.

Premium Features