• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P-22 failure on 9R

Massif master

Premium Member
Oct 10, 2018
Massif du Sud
I was tree riding when all of a sudden the clutch popped off as my engine rpm's went off the chart...no big noise , I wasn't going fast. My sled is a 2020 800 Pro with 4000 miles and a P85 with the new taper (same crank taper as 850). The bolt head sheared off clean exactly like your photo with a darker center. The bolt was loose, so I unscrewed it with my fingers. Got out after a couple hours of hard work with 4 friends. Got a new bolt from dealer 100 kms away and hé said something about the hardening process being too intense, making the bolt brittle. Got back to my dealer and he suspected it broke because it was overtorqued. Anyways, Polaris gave me a new Clutch, sanded down the scuffing marks on crankshaft and that was it, belt still ok. 1000 miles since Clutch was last taken off...No excessive belt side clearance and torqued to 80 lbs...Why?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I made it over 500 miles yesterday and the old P22 didn't explode. Finally got a deep storm. How's my stock clutching sound Rusty??? Am I leaving 30 hp on the table??? ?

Chadly the clutching sounds lethargic. You are a great rider and y’all would be better with proper clutching. Sounds like there’s something wrong in the primary clutch. The back shift is also quite lazy. In addition, it went from 8300 to 8450 crossing a track which shows clutching can be improved. It should hold rpm better but messing with the P22 is mostly a waste of time and money.

I recommend a p85 primary and secondary clutch from TRS. Buy both from him and he will set them up and send them to you. You would just have to bolt on the clutches with a new belt. Put the stock clutches back on when selling. Then u can transfer the good clutches to your next sled.
It’ll be a totally different sled. You will get a woody.

Last edited:

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
When I get new clutches from people I scotch bright the taper for the crank...they seem to have some light oil to keep from rusting...If anyone puts a new clutch on they should all be lapped on the crank!!! in reality the clutch should stay on the crank without the clutch bolt!!! if not better lap it til it rolls the motor over by your hands...

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
For the people that may not know, can you explain how to lap the clutch? Cheers
to lap a clutch you can buy lapping couplound that automotive stores..They use to lap the Valves on your older car...basically it is fine sand with some lubricant...comes in fine, medium and hard...if you have the ambition use medium and they wipe it off and use fine to finish the job....What it does is takes off all the little imperfections of the clutch and the crank where they meet...makes a better bond with more material bonding..Takes maybe 10 min is all...spin the clutch by hand pressing inward, and once it is lapped the clutch will spin the motor over by hand...wipe off excess.

J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
My p22 lasted 496 miles. Put on a brand new p85 and didn’t even make it to 1000 miles. Cracked on the shaft between the sheaves. What’s the best way to get it off now? Weld the crack and use the water trick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C
Dec 14, 2020
My p22 lasted 496 miles. Put on a brand new p85 and didn’t even make it to 1000 miles. Cracked on the shaft between the sheaves. What’s the best way to get it off now? Weld the crack and use the water trick?

Let the dealership warranty it... :ROFLMAO:

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008

Post a pic and let the forum experts insult and advise.

J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
Post a pic and let the forum experts insult and advise.

bd4ffbec573d2dff7e1bda2b417a418a.jpg

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
9R owners, make sure your enemies you ride with ride on the clutch side and your friends ride on your exhaust side!!! All joking aside, this needs to get fixed before someone gets hurt.

C
Dec 14, 2020
It’s really bent already. Gonna try welding it. Disconnect ecu and ground point on bumper. Is that good enough?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just make sure your ground clamp is right on the crank or clutch and it shouldn't travel through the sled.

Nothing like grounding to the frame and welding the crank to the bearings (I've seen it done).

U
Nov 29, 2007
We had one that broke right off exactly where yours cracked. Maybe the puller will break it the rest of the way. Then we pie drilled the fixed sheave and separated it from the steel part on the crank tapper. The ground the steel part down until it popped off the crank.

Last edited:
J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
We had one that broke right off exactly where yours cracked. Maybe the puller will break it the rest of the way. Then we pie drilled the fixed sheave and separated it from the steel part on the crank tapper. The ground the steel part down until it popped off the crank.

What do you mean by pie drilled? I did Google that and got some interesting videos. This is
Where I’m at now…

aba4a6459960284e89c76f3db6eb54ef.jpg

B
Dec 19, 2012
Leduc County, AB
Bringing RMSHA into is stupid. Nobody has the time to test new stuff so they're gonna run whatever is old and they already know. I get you here about a lot of them failing but in reality I bet it's less than 5% that are on the snow.
Everyone that I know here in bc has had a major issue prior to 300 miles. Back off, bolt snap, spider snap, spring, etc including mine at 215

Premium Features