• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P-22 failure on 9R

A
Sep 29, 2008
Had my p-22 on my 9R with around 450km fail yesterday. Was at WOT then very violent rattle (like a belt failure x100) for 0.5 second then primary ejected out the side panel at high velocity landing 20ft down the hill. It was so fast I was still WOT when it ejected. Inner shieve was nowhere to be found. Won me a heli ride out.

On first examination it looks to be a bolt failure (bolt should have been updated at factory, came with Allen head). However, the fact that the inner shieve came off the taper is suspicious given the amount of force we all know you have to put on a puller to pop these clutches so bolt failure could have been secondary to loose clutch or outer taper failure. Clutch was installed at factory and I assume torque checked at at PDI.

PTO taper looks salvageable with only small scuffs at flat end. I will take it to a machinest tomorrow to check PTO runout then to dealer Tuesday for warranty.

Can anyone tell me what to expect with warranty on these? Is it an automatic new Crank given the insane forces, the damage to the taper, and/or being unable to remove that deformed bolt stub?

PXL_20230205_211806515.jpgPXL_20230205_211826317.jpgPXL_20230205_211856488.MP.jpg

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Damn, really sorry to see this.

I had a similar thing happen last year on my 850NA. You can look back to see the pics. My dealer replaced clutch, crankshaft and all the impacted plastic under warranty in two weeks.

Unfortunately, now's the opportunity to experience whether your dealer will shine, or not.

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
there are a lot of issues with the nP22..thats just one of them...I am testing a P22 and I think I may know what some of the issues are..wont know for a couple weeks..the crank in the picture needs some cleaning up it looks like....they are way to of balance for sure...did 2 today one was 40lbs out at 8000 the other was 80 lbs out at 8000...

mrooks17

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2021
Ohio
I couldn't be happier with my Patirck's p85 on my 850. Only hear about problems with the p22. :-(

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
Did the belt snap?
I can not believe how clean these clutches come off!!! Looks like minimal damage.
You would think the belt would hold the fixed sheave somewhat in place if it were to come off??

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
In all honesty if you torque the clutch bolt on you could actually take the bolt out and still be fine!! (except the P22 it holds the clutch together!!) if the clutch comes off that easy something off with the taper of the crank or the clutch..any one tried to get a 800 clutch off?? If the clutch pops off easy with the clutch puller it is not on good..should take some effort to get the clutch off the taper...Just from what I have seen though out the years...

A
Sep 29, 2008
The belt blew off spinning and landed about 10ft away, same time as primary. Remember I was WOT so track was spun up and secondary would have been shifted so it would have been easy for it to walk of as the primary ejected. It's in amazingly good shape with only a nick out of one lug, but I should get a new one warranty anyways.

No damage to secondary or belt shield. Side panel and belly pan are damaged.

"re-torque primary drive bolt" is ticked off in my PDI documentation:unsure:PXL_20230207_015756492~2.jpg

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I know when I got my 9R home from the dealer and let it run long enough to load it into the trailer, that I went and rechecked the torque on the P22. It was quite loose, got at least 3/4 of a turn till the torque wrench clicked at 110lbft... Not to say that was your issue seeing your bolt was still in the end of the crank, looks to me like a bolt head failure or a combo of both. Oh well, that is what a warranty is for. Just glad your leg didn't get hurt from that!

A
Sep 29, 2008
Polaris engineering decided on resolution yesterday. Polaris to supply all parts and labour to repair and provide $1000 CDN parts/service/gear credit to me. Dealer says at a minimum repair will include a crank (plus the obvious primary, bolt, belt, and plastics) and they are trying for a long block if Polaris will go for it. Another week or two until I get it back.

So far I am very satisfied with this outcome. 2-3 weeks downtime is pretty reasonable. New crank will ease my mind riding the thing after that violent failure and a substantial credit to compensate for heli and downtime.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Great news abeth. And good on the engineers.

Polaris (and I give my dealer mega credit) replaced my crankshaft last year after the primary blew up.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Considering the amount of warranty dollars Polaris has shelled out over P22 failures, how long do you think it will stay around?
The bean counter’s decision didn’t work out as planned.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Considering the amount of warranty dollars Polaris has shelled out over P22 failures, how long do you think it will stay around?
Based on pride alone I’d be surprised if they ditch it anytime soon.

Hasn’t Polaris had junk clutches on their sxs’s since inception?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I know you are running a business off of after market clutching but I personally don't know of a single failure. Nobody I am riding with has had issues. Most of us are running pure stock too. The amount of people who have cried about it on here are a 100th of the people crying about the broken bulkheads with Doo years back. I think its a select few that are making it a bigger issue than it is. When you have guys who ride 4 to 5 days a week with success running these clutches without them failing I think your credibility is in question ??‍♂️ There are always some issues to work out when something is brand new so you are going to see some failures.

Last edited:
S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
The P22 has already cost Polaris plenty. Every 22 boost had to have the bolt replaced by Polaris. Now some of the replacement bolts are breaking. This could affect a very low percentage of sleds but there is no debating that the P22 is a step backwards from the P85 in both performance and durability.
Polaris will tell us everything we need to know when the 24s come out if everything is wearing a P22 Polaris is going to work through the issues if not well?
I’m sure if they liked the performance and durability of the clutch on the 22 boost all the 23s would have had the P22s

Premium Features