• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P-22 failure on 9R

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
Chalky, I think you’re a bit off based. Saying Tony is trying to sell a product because his business is clutching isn’t really the case. He just loves making sleds run better at the end of the day. He no doubt sees and hears about a lot of P22 failures and spends a ton of time tuning in the rmsha setting way more than you’d expect. Also, saying the pros you ride with know all is comical. They aren’t aloud to talk about the issues with their sleds with clients. The fact that yours runs great is awesome, enjoy it! Never saw Tony asking you to buy his P85 clutch setup. Man I should be riding not replying to this. Snow on the way, enjoy it regardless of what your setup is!

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
What's your excuse for not
Chalky, I think you’re a bit off based. Saying Tony is trying to sell a product because his business is clutching isn’t really the case. He just loves making sleds run better at the end of the day. He no doubt sees and hears about a lot of P22 failures and spends a ton of time tuning in the rmsha setting way more than you’d expect. Also, saying the pros you ride with know all is comical. They aren’t aloud to talk about the issues with their sleds with clients. The fact that yours runs great is awesome, enjoy it! Never saw Tony asking you to buy his P85 clutch setup. Man I should be riding not replying to this. Snow on the way, enjoy it regardless of what your setup is!
What's your excuse for not riding today? ? You are making a lot of assumptions with your post. I have not witnessed a wrecked P22 yet. I've been around plenty of them. I was stating my opinion. My dealer has yet to warranty one. Just stating my opinion. All the forumers deserve to get the Forum Expert's opinion on these matters. It's crucial for the survival of this forum. ?

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
What's your excuse for not
What's your excuse for not riding today? ? You are making a lot of assumptions with your post. I have not witnessed a wrecked P22 yet. I've been around plenty of them. I was stating my opinion. My dealer has yet to warranty one. Just stating my opinion. All the forumers deserve to get the Forum Expert's opinion on these matters. It's crucial for the survival of this forum. ?
My dealer never saw a motor blown either. You make more assumptions than anyone on here chalky.

armey37

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Richland,WA
Buddy smoked a spring on his new 9r. But turning 8700 RPMs will do crazy things. Changed weights and spring and try again.

86F91E13-C896-41A0-A98E-EADA3D017D73.jpeg BDB01A56-E5B9-4210-A266-2269D8D55994.jpeg

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Bringing RMSHA into is stupid. Nobody has the time to test new stuff so they're gonna run whatever is old and they already know. I get you here about a lot of them failing but in reality I bet it's less than 5% that are on the snow.
RMSHA is like any other racing, you break down, you lose, plain and simple, so its a very good place to start a reliability conversation. If they are allowed to in their racing bracket they will use what works best and isn't going to break 1/2 way up the hill. The advantage of 1 lb lighter of the P-22 is very debatable. Just ask Indy Dan why he makes his P-85 covers heavier than the stock cover, but that's a whole different can of worms. Personally seen two P-22's leave sleds stranded on the hill this year, too gnarly of an area to tow them out. Had to go back with a P-85 and all the tools to swap things out to get the sleds out. In the last 22 years of mountain riding I've never had or seen a P-85 leave someone stranded on the mountain and there are thousands more P-85's out there than P-22's. Time will tell, but this is how the Cat Team roller bearing clutch started out, a number of failures the first year that people refused to believe was a problem.

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
My dealer never saw a motor blown either. You make more assumptions than anyone on here chalky.
I wonder if Polaris is going to junk the motor because all the money they have lost warranting them. You are an idiot. Go pound more Coors Light and tear up those groomers. ?

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Bringing RMSHA into is stupid. Nobody has the time to test new stuff so they're gonna run whatever is old and they already know. I get you here about a lot of them failing but in reality I bet it's less than 5% that are on the snow.

If you think for one minute that these guys don't test and retest stuff to try to get a competitive advantage your title of forum expert should be revoked. If the p-22 worked better they would be running it. Just for the 1lb weight advantage alone vs the p85 should spool up quicker. I guarantee if KC wanted a new P22 for every race Polaris would give him one.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
If you think for one minute that these guys don't test and retest stuff to try to get a competitive advantage your title of forum expert should be revoked. If the p-22 worked better they would be running it. Just for the 1lb weight advantage alone vs the p85 should spool up quicker. I guarantee if KC wanted a new P22 for every race Polaris would give him one.
Ever heard the term if it ain't broke, don't fix it? They have no reason to change.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
RMSHA is like any other racing, you break down, you lose, plain and simple, so its a very good place to start a reliability conversation. If they are allowed to in their racing bracket they will use what works best and isn't going to break 1/2 way up the hill. The advantage of 1 lb lighter of the P-22 is very debatable. Just ask Indy Dan why he makes his P-85 covers heavier than the stock cover, but that's a whole different can of worms. Personally seen two P-22's leave sleds stranded on the hill this year, too gnarly of an area to tow them out. Had to go back with a P-85 and all the tools to swap things out to get the sleds out. In the last 22 years of mountain riding I've never had or seen a P-85 leave someone stranded on the mountain and there are thousands more P-85's out there than P-22's. Time will tell, but this is how the Cat Team roller bearing clutch started out, a number of failures the first year that people refused to believe was a problem.
I have personally seen P-85's come apart.
They are not bulletproof. I like them fine, performance has been great for me.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
who says he doesn't have them on his mod sleds??!! he might!!

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
I work on the P22 daily from customers..There are a lot of issues that need to be addressed..the one issue I am seeing more anymore is the softer alum they use..the belt is digging into the sheaves after only a couple hundred miles...When I drill to balance the material is very soft, no heat treating at all...the belt clearance is way to big, most are .050-.070 that is way to much (should be .010-.020) to get any bottom end, thus leading to the belt digging into the sheaves when taking off!!! slamming...I could go on and no seeing issues......I get why Polaris made a P22 clutch, the weights are getting bigger and bigger, and the P85 was not designed for 86 Gram weights and is very narrow in the spider for wide weights...Could be a easy fix redesigning the spider on the P85...One a quick side not we make the P85 LIGHTER than the P22...wont touch the TSS-04 with out the defection bolt!!!!! bad deal...

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Interesting, how much time certain people respond here and claim they spend multiple days a week on the hill. Hmmmmmm
Dunning-Kruger Effect applies here.
Case closed.
There was enough time between posts for me to run out of gas. ? I made it 38 miles yesterday. Maybe if I had that P85 and TRS clutching I could make it 70 like that other guy ?

20230218_092959.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features