• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P-22 failure on 9R

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
The P22 has already cost Polaris plenty. Every 22 boost had to have the bolt replaced by Polaris. Now some of the replacement bolts are breaking. This could affect a very low percentage of sleds but there is no debating that the P22 is a step backwards from the P85 in both performance and durability.
Polaris will tell us everything we need to know when the 24s come out if everything is wearing a P22 Polaris is going to work through the issues if not well?
I’m sure if they liked the performance and durability of the clutch on the 22 boost all the 23s would have had the P22s
How is it a step backwards in performance? I personally like it better than anything I’ve had in the past. It is significantly lighter, gets to rpm immediately, and holds. I’m also no clutch tuner/guru…

C
Dec 14, 2020
How is it a step backwards in performance? I personally like it better than anything I’ve had in the past. It is significantly lighter, gets to rpm immediately, and holds. I’m also no clutch tuner/guru…

Because it occasionally blows up. Muskoka had to tow his off the mountain, but it didn't fly off just blew up the spider/cover.

The only thing gained by the p22 is the center bearing so there's no need to adjust deflection. Theoretically it's great, since the rider can chuck a belt on and go. The bearing adds size to the center of the clutch so you can't get quite as low a gear to start with. This can be made up elsewhere but they didn't bother.
In practice neither the factory or most dealers do a good clutch alignment, so they still need shimming to get them lined up and operating properly. Then you have the aluminum on steel splines that are stripping out, and a clutch that relies on the bolt to hold it together instead of just a taper. (There's a few here that have admitted to pulling the bolt to save weight, and the p85 won't fall off the taper once it's been pressed on.)

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I know you are running a business off of after market clutching but I personally don't know of a single failure. Nobody I am riding with has had issues. Most of us are running pure stock too. The amount of people who have cried about it on here are a 100th of the people crying about the broken bulkheads with Doo years back. I think its a select few that are making it a bigger issue than it is. When you have guys who ride 4 to 5 days a week with success running these clutches without them failing I think your credibility is in question ??‍♂️ There are always some issues to work out when something is brand new so you are going to see some failures.

I field calls daily regarding P22 failures. Which may give me a better understanding on what is happening across the country and Canada.
The amount of P85s replacing P22’s on Boost and 9R sleds is a definite indication of the problems.
Not many on the RMSHA circuit are running the P22 outside of the stock classes. Another indication.

Last edited:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Considering the amount of warranty dollars Polaris has shelled out over P22 failures, how long do you think it will stay around?
The bean counter’s decision didn’t work out as planned.

It’s here to stay Tony. Poor Decisions rule in the business of share holder value as warranty claims come out of a different bucket. If that clutch is cheaper to manufacture, they won’t care because they don’t charge back warranty claims to the program and integrate into the cost. If they do, it will be years down the road. All one has to do is look at their debacles with SxS’s CVT’s to see the P-22 is here to stay.

It will be up to the aftermarket to wave the much needed magic wand on this POS.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I understand how corporate works. You do as well. When corporate doesn’t communicate within divisions you get what we have today.
Engineer dept doesn’t look at claims, warranty dept denies they have a problem. Vicious circle.
It’s all about the shareholders.
The P2 didn’t last long as well. The, cheap, China built P22 needs help. It can be fixed, but not without adding weight or depth.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Out of the 2022 boost 5 of 5 p22 blew apart. And on 2023 2 of 4 so far. And can't get over 200 miles out of primary springs.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
The P22 just isn’t as responsive as a properly set up P85.
I’m no clutch guru but can tell you the TRS P85 setup on my boost made a world of difference to the point that a Canadien and US guide on two separate occasions said it felt like the strongest running Polaris boost they’ve rode. The Canadien was on a G5 and the American was on another boost. The sled didn’t even have the 23 re flash either.
Maybe if you’ve only ever ran stock clutching there isn’t much difference between the P22 and P85.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Bro you need to ride more trails. If you rode more trails you would know what's up with the clutching. ?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Bringing RMSHA into is stupid. Nobody has the time to test new stuff so they're gonna run whatever is old and they already know. I get you here about a lot of them failing but in reality I bet it's less than 5% that are on the snow.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Out of the 2022 boost 5 of 5 p22 blew apart. And on 2023 2 of 4 so far. And can't get over 200 miles out of primary springs.
I have over 500 miles on my boost and on my 9R and I haven't touched the clutches or springs. I dream of the day that I ride as hard as any of you guys on Snowest...

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Come on up to north west b.c. where the snow is hood to handle bar deep most rides. Last 4 rides was out of gas in 3- 3.5 hours. Up to your shoulders when stuck.
That makes sense. We haven't had those conditions this year. Riding around pinned will definitely put it to the stress test.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
That makes sense. We haven't had those conditions this year. Riding around pinned will definitely put it to the stress test.
Ha.

You mean you haven’t ridden those conditions this year.

My buddies in Washington have definitely ridden some super deep days.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Ha.

You mean you haven’t ridden those conditions this year.

My buddies in Washington have definitely ridden some super deep days.
Your buddies must ride in Washington, Australia. I have rode over 30 times and haven't missed a single storm. Difference between your buddies and me is I don't have to lie to kick it.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Bringing RMSHA into is stupid. Nobody has the time to test new stuff so they're gonna run whatever is old and they already know. I get you here about a lot of them failing but in reality I bet it's less than 5% that are on the snow.

I don’t think you realize how much testing, tuning and practicing they do. Let alone the amount of support they receive from the Polaris Race personnel and engineers.

Premium Features