• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Longterm REVIEW and INSTALL: Trailtech Voyager Pro GPS w/ BUDDY TRACKING

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I bought the wrong battery.. The charging voltage was not to exceed 12.7 volt and I’m sure the sled voltage is 14 volts. I didn’t want a fire so just wired it direct. Next year I’ll have the correct battery to use.
Why don't you just install a voltage regulator? $20 for an adjustable output style in a case and with wires. Or you could just buy an IC and build your own.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
The idea is to make the sled charge it.
That is what I thought. I was on the brainwave of the Polaris 7S that apparently needed a battery to make it function so I was under the impression this would need the same.
It seems there is just the need for a charge to keep the small internal battery charged.
Looking forward to reviews.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Someone was asking about my installs.
Haven't done anything thus far.
Waiting on my 24 snowcheck to arrive,
Then will do the install on the 23 & 24 Turbo Summits at the same time.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
We installed a number of the voyager pros on summits turbos over the last 2 seasons. They are amazing! Once you have buddy tracking, you will never want to ride without it. Plus you can mount the voyager on your bars so you can actually see the rpm, engine temp, speed etc. stock gage is always covered with snow and pretty worthless on a mountain sled. The only drawback of the voyager pro is the small screen. Wish it had a much bigger screen.

The other thing we learned last season. Make a tether that hooks to the voyager. We lost 2 in one super deep powder day last year. One was on a sled roll over the other was a down hill sled through a little pine tree well. Pine branches knocked the voyager off its mount. Luckily we found that one. My buddy that lost the other one marked the area on his hand held gps after searching for it. Hiked into the spot he lost it this summer and found it. Still powered up when he turned it on!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
We installed a number of the voyager pros on summits turbos over the last 2 seasons. They are amazing! Once you have buddy tracking, you will never want to ride without it. Plus you can mount the voyager on your bars so you can actually see the rpm, engine temp, speed etc. stock gage is always covered with snow and pretty worthless on a mountain sled. The only drawback of the voyager pro is the small screen. Wish it had a much bigger screen.

The other thing we learned last season. Make a tether that hooks to the voyager. We lost 2 in one super deep powder day last year. One was on a sled roll over the other was a down hill sled through a little pine tree well. Pine branches knocked the voyager off its mount. Luckily we found that one. My buddy that lost the other one marked the area on his hand held gps after searching for it. Hiked into the spot he lost it this summer and found it. Still powered up when he turned it on!
Did you have them in the optional CAGE mount?

X001-Y001_D1[1].jpg

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca

I laughed when I read your comment that the stock gauge is worthless when covered by snow. I totally agree with you and was thinking about a video comparison between the Polaris and the Doo where the flatlander host said that the Doo's gauge was mounted in the "best" posible position for a mountain sled. :rolleyes:

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
How do you anticipate achieving this? I despise electrical but going to have to suck it up and do it for this install. Going to put it on my ‘24 turbo and the wife’s ‘23 n/a.
When I get a battery to support the unit I’m going to wire it to the sleds DC voltage plug. I will have to check but I think I will need to add a diode in series with the sleds power so when you turn off the sled it doesn’t drain the battery. Will update when I get to it.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
When I get a battery to support the unit I’m going to wire it to the sleds DC voltage plug. I will have to check but I think I will need to add a diode in series with the sleds power so when you turn off the sled it doesn’t drain the battery. Will update when I get to it.
very much interested to see how you solve this.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Boy, the video didn't touch on the Buddy thing all that much.
I actually had to go back and start the "screens" section over again, and it was almost mentioned in passing is all.

So, my question:

How doo these things communicate?
Doo they talk directly to each other via RF or whatnot?
Or, like so many things these days, are they tied to a pocket computer? (sometimes refered to as a phone)

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Boy, the video didn't touch on the Buddy thing all that much.
I actually had to go back and start the "screens" section over again, and it was almost mentioned in passing is all.

So, my question:

How doo these things communicate?
Doo they talk directly to each other via RF or whatnot?
Or, like so many things these days, are they tied to a pocket computer? (sometimes refered to as a phone)

Yes, you need to put an RF antenna somewhere on the handlebar, and not sure the distance depends upon the train.

Have you made a tether for one? Just got mine. Getting ready to install. The unit itself has no holes or anything to attach a leash. I thought about super glueing something on the side to attach to, but if an impact is hard enough to knock it out of the dock its going to rip off anything superglued to the GPS unit.

Premium Features