• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

gearing 900

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Can you explain how to go about switching the helix? i've heard countless times that the 66/44-42 .46 helix but am not sure what all is involved in doing this? Does a dealership have the helix or is it something you must order aftermarket? What spring is recommended in the primary? About how much time would it take to do all of this labor?
Thanks for all the help, I know its alot of silly questions,
Nolan

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
normally you have to order the helix either online or from a dealer they run around 109. very simple to install.

1 remove the belt -- to do so you have to use the special tool that is in your tool kit and thread it in the open hole on the secondary. screw in far enuff to get the belt off.

2 then remove the 1/2" headed bolt that holds the secondary on.

3 once removed set on bench with the back of the clutch up you will see 8 torx headed bolts. remove these and then carefully pry the helix up and remove. then reverse order to assemble.

the primary spring most are running the black green polaris spring. I run the slp springs myself, black/pink and blue/pink depending on what i want for engaugement.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
just one spring, remove the 6 cover bolts to remove the cover and replace spring. being carfule because it is under pressure. i usually remove the clutch but it can be done in the sled with the side cover removed. remove the clutch bolt and use a big waser on the bolt then just thread it back in by hand. the washer has to be big enuff to hold the cover on while you take the cover bolts out. then remove the clutch bolt slowly releasing the spring pressure. reverse proceedure to assemble

here is and exploded view of the clutch

clutch2.jpg

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
any hints about removing the primary bolt? Dont have any rope to put in the cylinder... Just to clarify, the primary bolt has to come off to remove the cover, correct? Telling by the pic, you need a clutch compressor on the secondary to switch helix's?
Thanks,
Nolan

Last edited:
B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
no it don't but it makes it easier to hold the cover on when removing the cover bolts and to compress the spring when installing. the method i used for years weather it was right or wrong it never caused me a problem was to use a long pry bar through the clutch to hold it. I now have bought 2 clutch holders one for the garage and one for my trailer.

no you don't need a compressor to change the helix on the secondary just to change the spring. the helix just lifts out if you read the text i think it says that.

this is what i use now

Sno-Stuff Clutch Holding Tool(Reference #725-255)
Designed to hold the drive clutch during installation & removal to avoid rotation. PVC handle for comfort.
# FOR ARCTIC CAT, COMET & POLARIS
Instructions
22 In Stock
$25.95

from here hiperf .com

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Miles...you can run 19/42 gears on an 06 WITH THE STOCK CHAIN

As for the delrin washers... they go in the secondary underneath the secondary spring, spring retainer and spring cup. They are suppose to help by reducing friction between the above parts. I'm running 3 of them. I never ran the sled without them, so I don't know if they make any difference.

I would recommend replacing your secondary spring and checking the washer that sits in between the two sheaves. My sled had 1,600 miles on it when I bought it and the washer was no longer flat and the spring was sacked out over 1/2 inch more like 5/8 inch. There's also a bushing that should be checked as well, mine was wore out also.

You do not need any special tools to replace the helix other than a torx socket, but you DO NEED a spring compressor if you want to change the secondary spring or add delrin washers. Once you remove the helix, you'll see a snap ring that holds the spring retainer and spring and allows for complete disassembly of the secondary.

If anything, pop off your secondary and take it to your closest dealer, shouldn't cost very much to change the spring and add some delrin washers. Remember, the delrins are NOT required.

Good luck:beer;

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
That's a good question. I bet Carls Cycle in Boise or SLP would have it in stock. The helix is a common 900 upgrade. I know my dealer did not have it stock. But this dealer ordered a driveshaft bearing, support and a 4 inch riser before Christmas for me that I still don't have. 2 months...

Nice, eh!!

I feel like BLASTING these guys on the internet. I live a couple hours away, so it's not worth it to go choke someone. Can't get a return phone call.

I now just order everything from Carls and have it shipped to me now.

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Well I just switch over to the 19/42 and seemed to go without any problems. Seems to me it might be a little low. Havent had much time on it so i'll know by the end of the weekend. Just seems to me like like im in first gear and im toping it out a little to soon.
I'll keep ya posted. Thanks for all the help!
Nolan

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
So im toping out at about 70mph and the last half on my throttle doesnt have any effect. The motor revs but the clutches dont pull me any. But at WOT on flat ground im only pulling about 7950 which isn't rev limiter right? Do i need to put heavier weights in? right now im running 11-74's at 900ft. Overall it just seems like im not putting enough load on the engine. Secondary is stock and the primary has the black/green spring witch i believe is stock. Any help?
Thanks,
Nolan

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
So im toping out at about 70mph and the last half on my throttle doesnt have any effect. The motor revs but the clutches dont pull me any. But at WOT on flat ground im only pulling about 7950 which isn't rev limiter right? Do i need to put heavier weights in? right now im running 11-74's at 900ft. Overall it just seems like im not putting enough load on the engine. Secondary is stock and the primary has the black/green spring witch i believe is stock. Any help?
Thanks,
Nolan

Around 8,000 is good.

Mark the clutches to confirm the belt is going all the way out.

Premium Features