• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

137 MH gearing. For YZ450FX

MikeM1000

Lifetime Membership
Oct 29, 2011
Just switched from 120 to a 137. Haven’t had a chance to ride yet but the 120 with my 19YzFX needed some gearing. Was thinking down to stay in second and 3rd. Haven’t checked the gearing in 137 yet. Is there a desired gear set for the FX wide ratio trans. Not trying to reinvent the wheel

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
The desired gear set is the yz 1-4 with the fx 5th. The gaps in the fx transmission are brutal for snobiking. I think you would be on the right track by gearing it down a little though.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Just reread my post and realized that might have come off a little negative. I hated the gearing on my FX. When I switched to an F, I was so much happier but it probably depends on your conditions and how you ride. It was a great bike. I just hated that gap between second and third.

MikeM1000

Lifetime Membership
Oct 29, 2011
Hahaha no worries. Right now first is sort of usable. Second is a lil fast for tight trail and 3rd the clutch chatters. And have to be hauling the mail to be in. So I was thinking gear it down. So I could maybe just stay in 2nd and 3rd. Only have 2 rides on a 120 and none on the 137 yet. Riding timber and climbing

D
Apr 25, 2019
WA
My friend has an FX. He found an F tranny and installed it. He likes it way better. I can't remember if he installed the 5th gear or not yet but I know it would be a lot better on trail with it.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I run a YZ 1-4 with an FX 5th. It's the bomb. In your situation my inclination would be to gear up, try a 14 tooth on the front and basically forget about trying to use 3rd except for trails etc. If you gear down you will still have the 2-3 gap and 1st will be useless.

M5

E
Dec 19, 2007
I don't have any direct YZ experience but I know splitting the cases to change the internal transmission is a lot more work than shuffling sprockets for 45 bucks a piece. The key there will be to find what I call the money gear which is different depending on snow conditions is usually second gear for most people's bikes. You want it to be high enough to have to clutch sometimes in the deepest heaviest snow but that will get you the best performance in that gear when it really matters most. If you don't have the skills to clutch into the mid-range then you will have to go slightly lower gearing. Then 90% snowpack conditions it will rip in second gear with no clutch at all. And third gear will probably be a gap but won't matter except on the deepest days when you're stuck in second anyway.

Premium Features