• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WPS Rail

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
You just don't see or hear a lot about the RAIL snowbike kits and since I had the oportunity to get some seat time on one I figured I'd share. A little background, I am not sponsored and get no money or discounts from anyone for anything. I am a little bias towards CMX and currently own a CMX 120 and a 129. But over the last 6 years I have owned MH, ARO, Yeti 129s and frequently ride my buddies bikes. I love comparing kits and bikes and have a very diverse riding group but no RAIL has showed up yet. I had the opportunity to go on a guided trip with with Snowbike Nation in Kalispell MT and they have basically one of everything. Yeti 129, 137 skinny and wide rail, new track, old track, Riot 3 pro, and RAIL 120MT. Most mounted on KX450's but he did have a 300/yeti 137 in the mix. (it did great!) He may have more but thats all we had on our trip. This was one day on spring snow with 2-3" on fresh heavy snow on top, so results may very. Consult with your doctor before buying anything.

I rode the RAIL for the first half of the day. We stopped and took 5 minutes to adjust the linkage to make the front more playful. We did not mess with the strut lenght to change ski pressure. So to get to the point. Does it wheelie? Yes. Does it climb a cows face on spring snow? Yes (if your standing up or sitting on the gas tank). From spending a season on a 120 CMX it was similar play-fullness but with a few exception. It didn't feel as quick. could be the KX vs KTM or could be belt vs chain. The difference was minor. You can stand the CMX up vertical and ride and it your not careful you can loop it out. Something to do in the suspension of the RAIL limits or prevents this, or maybe just how we had it adjusted that day. The front comes up when asked and almost hits a wall. It wont come up past 50-60 degrees. After that it just goes up the hill in the easiest wheelie walk Ive ever done. Its quick in the trees and even though the kit weighs around 130lbs? it feels much lighter. The suspension using the stock dirt shock did well on the small jumps and drops on hard spring snow were socked up easily. Rumor is they are putting on their own shock next year as well as having a 129 kit. The old Simmons ski is crap as always. Washing out and darty. I imagine WPS can't really put another brands ski on their kit but If I owned one Id throw any other ski on it.

Overall its a great kit. Much more playful and I think would outperform a Riot 120 in most snow conditions due to the camso track. 2023 WPS is supposed to ramp up production and really start putting kits out there. If its something you would like to try I recommend giving WPS a call and trying to get a demo or calling Kyle at Snowbike Nation a call and riding his.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
You just don't see or hear a lot about the RAIL snowbike kits and since I had the oportunity to get some seat time on one I figured I'd share. A little background, I am not sponsored and get no money or discounts from anyone for anything. I am a little bias towards CMX and currently own a CMX 120 and a 129. But over the last 6 years I have owned MH, ARO, Yeti 129s and frequently ride my buddies bikes. I love comparing kits and bikes and have a very diverse riding group but no RAIL has showed up yet. I had the opportunity to go on a guided trip with with Snowbike Nation in Kalispell MT and they have basically one of everything. Yeti 129, 137 skinny and wide rail, new track, old track, Riot 3 pro, and RAIL 120MT. Most mounted on KX450's but he did have a 300/yeti 137 in the mix. (it did great!) He may have more but thats all we had on our trip. This was one day on spring snow with 2-3" on fresh heavy snow on top, so results may very. Consult with your doctor before buying anything.

I rode the RAIL for the first half of the day. We stopped and took 5 minutes to adjust the linkage to make the front more playful. We did not mess with the strut lenght to change ski pressure. So to get to the point. Does it wheelie? Yes. Does it climb a cows face on spring snow? Yes (if your standing up or sitting on the gas tank). From spending a season on a 120 CMX it was similar play-fullness but with a few exception. It didn't feel as quick. could be the KX vs KTM or could be belt vs chain. The difference was minor. You can stand the CMX up vertical and ride and it your not careful you can loop it out. Something to do in the suspension of the RAIL limits or prevents this, or maybe just how we had it adjusted that day. The front comes up when asked and almost hits a wall. It wont come up past 50-60 degrees. After that it just goes up the hill in the easiest wheelie walk Ive ever done. Its quick in the trees and even though the kit weighs around 130lbs? it feels much lighter. The suspension using the stock dirt shock did well on the small jumps and drops on hard spring snow were socked up easily. Rumor is they are putting on their own shock next year as well as having a 129 kit. The old Simmons ski is crap as always. Washing out and darty. I imagine WPS can't really put another brands ski on their kit but If I owned one Id throw any other ski on it.

Overall its a great kit. Much more playful and I think would outperform a Riot 120 in most snow conditions due to the camso track. 2023 WPS is supposed to ramp up production and really start putting kits out there. If its something you would like to try I recommend giving WPS a call and trying to get a demo or calling Kyle at Snowbike Nation a call and riding his.
Cool.
Finally someone has ridden a Rale kit.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I have owned all the skis and sold them just to keep using my old Simmons. All my custom frame bikes are really light on the front and the old ski just works best. So the Rale may have decided may be they don't need the big floating, heavy steering mountain ski with their suspension design. I just noticed the Timbersled 120sx still has the Simmons and they call it the "racing ski" and charge a grand for it!

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Two Rail kits in our group. They are good kits. I’ve spent time on them and they ride more like a Moto. In my opinion they trench a little more than the tsleds in our group. You have to be forward to climb well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features