• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DNR at Beaver Mtn on Sat what a joke

B
Dec 3, 2001
No. Utah
Sorry to hear about the bad experience. We went through the same check point with our kids a week ago. I showed them my 14 year old daughters license and the temp registration for my sled I just purchased and was in and out of there in less than 5 minutes.. They were polite and professional.

D
Oct 24, 2010
What a d#$% head. Tell me I'd have to leave my kids ! Not a good idea. They should have been there educating people not to be an a$$ hole.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
Just in case anyone is wondering the fine for letting a kid under 8 drive a snowmobile is $107.00

H
Nov 27, 2007
Pleasant View Utah
My son has been riding since he was 3.5 yrs old, started taking him up to Monte Cristo on his 120 when he was about 5. We would just take him west of Ant Flat road where the DNR boys never go. We did get questioned in the parking lot one time. A red headed female DNR saw his 120 in the trailer, unfortunately she saw the narrow 120 tracks in the snow and decided to question him asking if he'd been riding it. After a lengthy lecture about him being to young to ride she got back in her truck and left, guess she couldn't write a ticket without actually seeing the violation. My son is now 13 and has had his license to ride since he was 8. He has had to show his card multiple times but the DNR's have always been very nice about it. It used to irritate me tho because they do not question the parents, they go strait to the child as if the parent would lie about the situation.

B
Dec 21, 2007
Fish Cops

The problem is the states are not consistant. I have a place in Wyoming and Utah but I am a Utah resident. Wyoming does not even title sleds. I just keep the original MSO and give it to the next guy when I sell it to. So when the coppers run my vin in Utah its not in the system. Thats because Wyoming does not put sled in the system. Then they say is this stolen and threaten to impound. Why pay all the tax when you only ride Logan Canyon 1-2 per year. The 100.00 is not that bad. I know thats how lots of my buddies look at it. We just pay 30.00 to Idaho and ride cub river. The Utah guys need their berries flogged.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Stupid Law

So I think the real question here is this: How do we get this stupid law changed? Take a poll of snowmobilers and I'm sure that 95% of them would vote for a law that lets a 4 year old drive a 120 and a 6 year old drive a 250 (with a proper training course like what is currently set up for 8 year olds). So the question then becomes: how do we get a bill in front of the state legislature that makes this exception?

S

sureman

Feb 8, 2010
utah
personally I would be quite allright if they checked registrations often, if they actually spent some of the money and groomed that bumpy *** trail!!!:mad2:

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
personally I would be quite allright if they checked registrations often, if they actually spent some of the money and groomed that bumpy *** trail!!!:mad2:

I am with you. I have nothing to hide. They can check me every time I pull in the parking lot. BUT the trail that my registration is paying to groom had better be groomed.

B
Dec 25, 2009
ok, all, i ride in montana and wyoming. never have i had any of these experiences. i have seen a trail cop once and he did nothing but smile and offer directions on how to buy a local mountain map. these people need to understand they are public servants. all cops are public servants, "peace officers". yes they need to enforce the laws but never should they be bullies in doing it. they bullied these children period. yes he broke the laws but there are many more diplomatic ways to handle this. only good that came of it was they were able to ride out the day. i buy needed permits, but seldom have i used a trail anyway, but appreciate the service as here it is local trail clubs donating time and energy to the mountains.

B
Nov 28, 2007
Sioux Center, Iowa
I need to vent just a little. As everyone who unloaded at beaver on sat the DNR or park rangers or whom ever they are had 11 guys stopping everyone on the trail Sat. 1st off what a waste of tax payers money. There is no way that they could write enough tickets to pay for the wages of 11 people for the day. Not to mention they had enough food there to feed an army for a week.

My real gripe though was how they treated my kids. Anyone that rides that area or Tony Grove has probably seen my group because I usually have my kids with me unless the weather is real bad. My kids are 6, 8, and 10. Each of them have a Yamaha Bravo and they love snowmobiling. We usually meet my sister's family so we have 7 or 8 kids along all under 13 years old. Nothing is better than to see them learn to love the sport I have loved for so long.

I have been checked 4 times already this year for registrations. Usually it is the same guy. After the first time he has walked over, seen us and say "oh you again, have a great day I know you are registered." He happened to be the one that walked out of their tent and told me to pull over he was going to have to run a VIN check number on my sled because the month sticker has fallen off. Well its a 2014 and I have the year sticker so how could it be expired? What ever no big deal, I'm sure he just had to show off for his boss that was watching even though he knows darn well it is registered.

Shortly there after his boss walks out and goes over to my kids and asks how old they are. I only had my daughter who is 10 and my youngest son who is 6 because my middle son was sick. The guy asks Ryker how old he is and Ry told him 6. Then the guys asks him what are you doing ridding a snowmobile if you are only 6? He is scarred to death and starts crying. The guy walks over to me and proceeds to tell me how you can't drive a snowmobile until you are 8 and have passed the online test. He then proceeds to lecture me for 20 minutes on how dangerous it is to let him drive. Well the kid has been driving his own snowmobile since he was 4 years old and I'm positive he know more about snowmobile safety avalanche rescue and can probably out ride any of the blow hard's standing over in the tent. Live and learn I guess, I should have known he couldn't ride yet. I broke the law give me the ticket and let me be on my way. The guys then proceeds to tell me that he should give the ticket to my son and make him appear in juvy court but since he was nice he would give the ticket to me. He asks for my drivers license, I never carry my wallet while riding and tell him its in the truck all of a 1/4 of a mile back down the trail. He then proceeds to tell me how its against the law to ride without your drivers license on you and he could write me another ticket for that. Am I the only one who leaves their wallet in the truck?? He then says well I can process your paper work without it any way. Really, well then why did you ask for it. He goes over to his snow cat and calls it in. After 20 minutes he comes back and says we cant find you in our system (proves I'm not a hardened criminal I guess) you will have to go back to your truck and get your license. So I walk over and start my kids sleds and say we have to go back to the truck quick. He comes running over and says the kids have to stay here. Why i ask, because I might not come back if they go with me. I tell my kids to stay there I will be back in a few minutes and instantly they both dissolve into tears and beg me not to leave them. I tell them I will be back really soon and they will be able to hear my snowmobile the entire time i'm gone. I take off get my wallet come back and all the blow hards are sitting in their tent and my kids are sitting on their snowmobiles in the pounding snow storm. I was so mad at this point I couldn't even talk. I dry their tears and they ask me what they did wrong. I tell them nothing, I am just going to get a ticket and Ryker will have to ride with me for the day. After another 20 minutes he comes out of the snowcat with my ticket. I sign it and ask if Ryker can ride his sled back to the truck or if I need to leave it there until we are done for the day. He says "oh he can go ahead and ride today" Are you serious??? I just got a ticket for letting him ride and now you say go ahead and let him ride for the day. What a joke, to make my kids sit there while I went to the truck, then give me a ticket for the exact thing that you allow. I was soooo mad i couldnt stand it. No reason to treat little kids like that.
I tend to take your story with a grain of salt because you're looking for sympathy. I was waiting for you to say the officer made lewd comments about your wife then shot your dog. The bottom line is that the officer was doing his job, you broke the law, and your son broke the law because you let him. Unfortunately the lesson your son could have learned was lost when he saw his Dad screaming harassment instead of manning up and saying "Son, I screwed up. This is my fault." And so is born another generation of kids with little of no respect for authority.

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
Do fish cops even exist in Wyoming? I have never even seen one summer or winter, seems to work well for them. Besides Island park I'm not sure Idaho has any either. Montana on the other hand is like North Korea, you better be ready to cross the border with your life on the line.

SNOWCASE

Lifetime Membership
Jun 18, 2008
Layton, Utah
Just a few thoughts

So I think the real question here is this: How do we get this stupid law changed? Take a poll of snowmobilers and I'm sure that 95% of them would vote for a law that lets a 4 year old drive a 120 and a 6 year old drive a 250 (with a proper training course like what is currently set up for 8 year olds). So the question then becomes: how do we get a bill in front of the state legislature that makes this exception?

Utah is the only state to allow 8 year olds license's and if we bring it up to the legislature they send to committee, and they will look at other states and realize we are only one to allow 8 year old licenses and other states are 12 years or 16 years old, and then legislature will say "we are out of step" and change it to 12 years old. So rather than open a can of worms, most are willing to be quiet and smile when they say we can have license at 8 years old.

Utah law allows out of state sleds to not have to buy a license if their state allows us to sled without a license in their state. Wyoming was first state to require out of state license's and now everyone does it. IF the other states stop requiring us to buy their licenses, then no one from out of state has to buy a Utah one. Simple and easy fix, as Utah is fixed, other states are "broken" and "money hungry"? Just a thought.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
I tend to take your story with a grain of salt because you're looking for sympathy. I was waiting for you to say the officer made lewd comments about your wife then shot your dog. The bottom line is that the officer was doing his job, you broke the law, and your son broke the law because you let him. Unfortunately the lesson your son could have learned was lost when he saw his Dad screaming harassment instead of manning up and saying "Son, I screwed up. This is my fault." And so is born another generation of kids with little of no respect for authority.

When exactly did my son see me screaming harassment? When exactly did I not do exactly what the cop asked me to do or tell my kids not to respect authority. Everybody can learn from others everyday, and I do believe they could have handled this situation better. Was I upset at how it was handled of course, I don't know a parent who wouldn't be. Did I pay the ticket and learn from it, yes I did. Do you have kids Al? What would you have done differently?

Another question for you Al since you seem to have all the answers. How exactly do I teach my kid a lesson that you seem to think he needs to learn when the cop says go ahead and ride for the rest of the day? I guess in your eyes those that enforce the law shouldn't have to abide by it or can allow people to continue to brake it?

B
Nov 28, 2007
Sioux Center, Iowa
When exactly did my son see me screaming harassment? When exactly did I not do exactly what the cop asked me to do or tell my kids not to respect authority. Everybody can learn from others everyday, and I do believe they could have handled this situation better. Was I upset at how it was handled of course, I don't know a parent who wouldn't be. Did I pay the ticket and learn from it, yes I did. Do you have kids Al? What would you have done differently?

Another question for you Al since you seem to have all the answers. How exactly do I teach my kid a lesson that you seem to think he needs to learn when the cop says go ahead and ride for the rest of the day? I guess in your eyes those that enforce the law shouldn't have to abide by it or can allow people to continue to brake it?

Thank you but no, after raising 3 kids and getting to enjoy 3 grandkid, none of which are perfect, I'm sorry to say I don't have all the answers. But one thing I do know is that kids are not stupid. Judging from your post I would say it's safe to assume that you interaction with the officers was no all "Yes sir and no sir." When you got home and were describing the days events to the wife, how did that go? Then you get on the computer and as I said ,scream harassment by telling us about the blow hards in the tent and how he had to show off for his boss, how you were lectured for 20 minute, and what a waste of tax payers money. You kids aren't stupid. They know what's going on. Most times something I've said in anger when I thought my children weren't listening, came back to haunt me at the most inopportune time. In those times that I hear my child repeating what I've said, it's made me very ashamed. Over the years I've received a lot of free advice on how to raise my kids, most of it when I really didn't want to hear it. After all everyone knows how to raise my kids better than me. :) It sounds like you've got some great kids there and I love the fact that you're all enjoying snowmobiling together. Enjoy this time because they grow up way to fast.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
I can see how you would assume that. Surprisingly enough it sounds I have actually learned the same lessons as you and I sat and listened to them without saying a word, because if I would have started to say anything I wouldn't have been able to shut up, and I'm sure it would have been much worse.

Did I express my frustration to my wife? Probably so I really don't remember. Great idea to ask my kids what they remember of the situation now that its been a month. It will be interesting to see what they recall, because I thought I did an amazing job of staying calm for me but I'm sure they will tell me if I wasn't because like you said they are not stupid and can recall nearly every stupid thing I've done for the last 10 years.

Premium Features