• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Chain case life Gen 5

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
Check out the latest video from Musoka Freerider titled two sled heli lift.It shows a very good picture of the reliability of a Gen 5 chain case.Really can't deny that there is an issue.What do you think Dave?

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
i'd imagine Dave is a bit constrained on what he can and can't say but still, it'd be interesting to hear his honest take on it.

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
It's too bad this chain case issue is overshadowing an otherwise great new sled from what I hear. Burning through some clutch belts is one thing or an ECM reflash at the dealership. An exploding chain case in the backcountry is an entirely different and more complex mechanical failure. AKA WTF. Something BRP should address in their 2024 release. Just how many chains have failed and why. Ive never heard of so many chain tightening stories on snowest and other forums. Bad oil, bad gears, over tightening under tightening, whatever. It would be a great time for BRP to tell all the potential buyers a belt drive is going on for 2024. I will be tuning in for sure.

K
Apr 12, 2018
Check out the latest video from Musoka Freerider titled two sled heli lift.It shows a very good picture of the reliability of a Gen 5 chain case.Really can't deny that there is an issue.What do you think Dave?
I had to go find the video. Not really a you tuber. It looks like the Muskoka guy blew up his clutch on a Polaris first, then another guy exploded his chain case after a wide open landing. Seems like alot of belt drive problems for the poo on these forums as well. My gen5 has had its problems but not left me stranded. I think that with the performance we get from a factory sled now, and the beating these sleds take, things are going to break and are to be expected. Probably why I only keep a sled for a year.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask

Muskoka shows a gen 5 with a blown chain case and that shows the reliability? How many gen5’s were on the snow that day that had no issues also his clutch blowing up is a clear signal all Polaris clutches are garbage from your line of thinking?

Until Doo addresses the issue publicly or with a recall or update perhaps to the 24’s we will never really know how widespread the issue is or isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K
Apr 12, 2018
Muskoka shows a gen 5 with a blown chain case and that shows the reliability? How many gen5’s were on the snow that day that had no issues also his clutch blowing up is a clear signal all Polaris clutches are garbage from your line of thinking?

Until Doo addresses the issue publicly or with a recall or update perhaps to the 24’s we will never really know how widespread the issue is or isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's plenty of non youtubers out there, without a gay pro strapped to them, that haven't had problems. Failure rate is probably less than 5%. No factory sponsored person, in their right mind, is going to come on here and say there's a problem. Doo will take care of the problem. Guaranteed. And if they do explode, I bet there is no hassle over warranty.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
There is definitely a problem. In 25 years of snowmobiling I’ve seen more G5 chaincase failures this season than the other 24 seasons combined. A heli ride out is not cheap, nor is it a available in a lot of places people ride. I opened up my chaincase and the chain had been rubbing on the case in one spot. My guess it was loose at one point before I tightened it the last time. From what I’m seeing, it’s mostly the lower gear going out and the chain stays intact. I really love my G5 turbo, losing the chaincase way out in the mountains worries me a little.

B88A6B09-7E12-412D-832A-218D5B9C9346.png 29D32002-F9B0-4CD1-BE0A-2ADC0EF2515F.png 99DD99C9-2910-48C2-9C94-75A0227C09DF.png

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
i'd imagine Dave is a bit constrained on what he can and can't say but still, it'd be interesting to hear his honest take on it.
Not constrained at all but it just is not worth it, keyboard warriors just make fun of the answer and don't believe it anyway. I have seen guys post that they turned their chain case bolt 30 times(impossible) to sharing the same photos over and over till the problem looks bigger than it is! There are chains that are too loose and also chains that are too tight. There are guys who see a tiny bit of scratching and think that is a major problem when it is actually normal. There has been guys who land full pin and it snaps and guys that were just riding and it happens but who knows what they did before. There is a lot of stress on a chain when landing full pin and land sideways and it stops immediately. Long time guys know this. If your chain case breaks it can be for sure warranty unless there is proof that it was rider error. If anyone is worried then the best solution is putting in the lynx gears and chain(they are stronger, actually stronger than the hyvo gears and chain), that would be on your cost and actually is not much. Lots of guys have tons of mileage on the sled without issue, the majority, and your sled is not getting upgraded by your dealer just becasue you think it should be. I would not wish broken gears or chain on anyone, it sucks, this sled produces a lot of power, Carls sleds have 2600 km on them now and not a problem, this also does not hold well for the entire amount of sleds out there. I think there might have been a guy who either rented from carl or rob, I don't know and they had a chain case issue, of course people say it was the guy who designed it so it must have been set up perfect, neither of those guys designed it or built it. As we all know lots of stuff happens through the season with lots of guys sleds, it is the price we all pay to have the power we want with the cost we will pay. I am not making light of the situation if it has happened to anyone it sucks as with any other problem. Guys will say the skid sucks, suspension sucks, now the chain case sucks, the choice is there for anyone, you can just ride it as is or do improvements you feel for your style of riding. What is not in all of this is the amount of sleds versus issues, this or other. And that is confidential for obvious reasons. That is my honest take on it for all to see. I hate to see anyone lose ride time but if you do this long enough, and what we do and where we put these sleds, they do pretty amazing but **** does happen. As always they get better each year. Tear me apart, I will be out riding as I have been having fun. Anyone can always private message me, as I won't be back here to defend myself, cheers dave

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Apparently I'm fine with my lynx. Still tight.
As far as my 17. Never blew a belt in 2 years and had it in a few good dumps at Cooke and elsewhere. The guy we sold it to said he never blew a belt but don't know how or how much he rode it. We got lucky. I talked to guys that had fits with them.

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
I agree it is easy to bag on the manufacturer,but when there is a problem why not admit it and fix the ones that had the weak link?How many 2022 ski-doo's blew a chain case?Please chime in if you have proof of one

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Dave has posted much useful information in the past and sometimes stuff that is flat out wrong. It happens, but I doubt it’s intentional.

As for the chain case stuff, I am watching and wondering what's really going on. Is it abuse? Hard riding? Bad manufacturing? Or a bad design? I will stay tuned.

Premium Features