• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Backwood BMP Rear Bumper Install

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Bringing this one back up….
I just installed one on my 165. There were a couple rivets needing a little more persuasion.
My question I have is…….
The 4 in the front are real close to the track. Is there Any concern with track rubbing?
Sure feels like if things come out of adjust on one side or the other, there isn’t much tolerance there.
I’ve left those 4(x2) off for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I just installed one on my 165. There were a couple rivets needing a little more persuasion.
My question I have is…….
The 4 in the front are real close to the track. Is there Any concern with track rubbing?
Sure feels like if things come out of adjust on one side or the other, there isn’t much tolerance there.
I’ve left those 4(x2) off for now.

Installed backwoods or bm fab?

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
My question I have is…….

I also had a couple rivets in need of persuasion, but I'd expect that as normal.

Those forward 4 rivets struck me as tight on the track too. I considered pulling them from inside the tunnel, but ultimately just ran them in like normal. It's been a non-issue.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I also had a couple rivets in need of persuasion, but I'd expect that as normal.

Those forward 4 rivets struck me as tight on the track too. I considered pulling them from inside the tunnel, but ultimately just ran them in like normal. It's been a non-issue.

Good to know, thank you.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I had to do some slight persuasion too. And this worked great for popping rivets!

As far as the front rivets close to the track, Ryan from backwoods said: "You should be fine with track rub. If you are worried sand down rivets a bit."

But I did leave 2, on each side in the front, out for now.

Last edited:

mrooks17

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2021
Ohio
Mine was delivered within a week. I used clamps to hold in place tight against the aluminum foil tunnel and put a few on each side at a time. It wasn't a "perfect fit" but I feel much more confident with it on and looks nice after installation

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I had to do some slight persuasion too. And this worked great for popping rivets!

As far as the front rivets close to the track, Ryan from backwoods said: "You should be fine with track rub. If you are worried sand down rivets a bit."

But I did leave 2, on each side in the front, out for now.

I decided to throw the 4 fronts in. Now that they’re in, it looks to be less of a concern.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

24drnkz

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bend, OR
This install was much more difficult than I was looking for on a bumper. It took all I had to get it on and I had to come back to it after taking a breath or (beer) because I became so frustrated with the install. I eventually got it on and now there is a slight vibration at idle that drives me nuts. For the price, I'll be looking elsewhere for my next bumper option. Finish...great Fit...not so great

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
how long from order did it take to get your bumpers?

I ordered mine this month and got it in about a week.

I decided to throw the 4 fronts in. Now that they’re in, it looks to be less of a concern.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did the same the next morning and I would agree. Nothing to worry about.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
any tips or tricks to installing both the rear and front BMP bumpers?
the instructions for the rear are non-existent and the video for the front is pretty useless as well. seems like a 4th grader made it.
i'm pretty mechanically inclined and can figure it out, but guides are nice

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
the instructions for the rear are non-existent and the video for the front is pretty useless as well. seems like a 4th grader made it.
All I did was bolt and rivet them on.

Nothing more than a remove and replace.

I didn’t remove the pipe or turbo when installing the front bumper.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
All I did was bolt and rivet them on.

Nothing more than a remove and replace.

I didn’t remove the pipe or turbo when installing the front bumper.
what is the little grommet for? is that used as a spacer under rubber pipe spacer at the bulkhead?

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East

I first riveted the easiest most accessible to get it set in its place using the existing holes. Then drilled the others that were easiest and most accessible and riveted those. Then when it was pretty solid, I attached the rear bumper piece and riveted the 2 rear next to the tail light. Then from there just drilled away and riveted.

I’ll add……. At the back area, Right at the taper, the distance away from the tunnel was not the same each side. I didn’t think it would pull to the tunnel far enough. I didn’t want to drill all the way through the tunnel on those 2. I decided to use 2 of the black smaller rivets there and just rivet the bumper and tunnel plate together.

B

BallsDeep_5280

Oct 16, 2012
CO
Is there any after-market bumper that goes on without at least a little elbow grease?

That being said, I found the BMP Bumpers on my Matryx 165 to be some of the best fitting easiest installs yet. I did buy a 10" 3/16ths drill bit to make it easier to mount a few of the front brace rivets because the running board was in the way of my drill. But I'll never complain about a need for buying more tools. I've run skinz bumpers on all my sleds until this year, and those things never lined up.

IMG_3771.jpeg

IMG_3772.jpeg

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I first riveted the easiest most accessible to get it set in its place using the existing holes. Then drilled the others that were easiest and most accessible and riveted those. Then when it was pretty solid, I attached the rear bumper piece and riveted the 2 rear next to the tail light. Then from there just drilled away and riveted.

I’ll add……. At the back area, Right at the taper, the distance away from the tunnel was not the same each side. I didn’t think it would pull to the tunnel far enough. I didn’t want to drill all the way through the tunnel on those 2. I decided to use 2 of the black smaller rivets there and just rivet the bumper and tunnel plate together.

What you will find is the inconsistency is from polaris assembly line rivet placement variation.

Premium Features