• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adapt Clutch, any good?

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
rode mine on my mtn cat today but down at 1500 feet elevation felt just like my team clutch which is good in my opinion had two toddlers on with me so no aggressive riding but if i didnt know i would have said it drove just like my team.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I junked the Stock weights in my Adapt and tossed in a set of the Snypr weights-more adjustments now than what's on the market - especially when it comes to the Adapt clutch.
Some of the spec's show 85/225 stock springs- but mine came with 85/255.

I run alot of throttle pass the power valves open and the Adapt is quicker to respond get the rpm back up- engagement is the same as the Team rpm's
We run 9,000' and keeping the rpm around 8300-and so far the Snyper weights are all what they sell them to be...-one bonus is you don't have to run the silly shims on each side of the weight.
I like the open magnet holes, in addition with top adjustable screws to place the weight in to get the pull where you want it.... pretty simple and there is also plugs with the kit to off set pin depth in the weight.

So far 300 miles and the adapt is passing the test's once it's set up for elevation- 2019 165
I am going to add more mid weight ( running 59.2 grams now) to pull harder & back shift quicker with the helix I just put in there and got rid of the stock 48* in the secondary.
I am running the BMP Y and Fat Daddy Single, with stock ECM programming ( not the stop ride flash) but the original tune, that is the best Cat came with IMHO

snyper.PNG

Last edited:
F
Feb 3, 2017
I junked the Stock weights in my Adapt and tossed in a set of the Snypr weights-more adjustments now than what's on the market - especially when it comes to the Adapt clutch.

I run alot of throttle pass the power valves open and the Adapt is quicker to respond get the rpm back up- engagement is the same as the Team rpm's
We run 9,000' and keeping the rpm around 8300-and so far the Snyper weights are all what they sell them to be...-one bonus is you don't have to run the silly shims on each side of the weight.
I like the open magnet holes, in addition with top adjustable screws to place the weight in to get the pull where you want it.... pretty simple and there is also plugs with the kit to off set pin depth in the weight.

So far 300 miles and the adapt is passing the test's once it's set up for elevation- 2019 165
I am going to add more mid weight ( running 59.2 grams now) to pull harder & back shift quicker with the helix I just put in there and got rid of the stock 48* in the secondary.
I am running the BMP Y and Fat Daddy Single, with stock ECM programming ( not the stop ride flash) but the original tune, that is the best Cat came with IMHO

Watch for casting wear if you aren't running the thrust washers ("the silly shims" as you put it).

Cam arms rotate (flange bearing or not) and the cast aluminum is softer than the hardened steel thrust washer, which can lead to wear.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Watch for casting wear if you aren't running the thrust washers ("the silly shims" as you put it).

Cam arms rotate (flange bearing or not) and the cast aluminum is softer than the hardened steel thrust washer, which can lead to wear.
Not an issue with the Snypr weights I am told- They are made to replace the silly shims (thrust washers)
The stock Adapt shims wont even fit with the wide pin bushing in these weights

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA

The US spec M sleds were produced with 85/225 springs and the Uncalibrated ADAPT clutch part number 0746-933 description says it comes with the 85/225 but all the ones we have received have the 85/255 like yours.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
The US spec M sleds were produced with 85/225 springs and the Uncalibrated ADAPT clutch part number 0746-933 description says it comes with the 85/225 but all the ones we have received have the 85/255 like yours.
Now that a head scratcher for sure- Yeah we just got in 16 more clutches Uncalibrated and all were the 85/255

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
My new to me adapt also has the 85/255 spring, I'm wondering why they switched it, Now I'd assume their calibration table is wrong for weights and or I may need to find that other spring as I may have over-reving? as it is i'm more on the lower end of the calibration/elevation specs, being I have the 6-9k weights, and im more like 4500-7k.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I’ll have to check again, but I’m pretty sure mine came with the 85/255. Another thing I noticed is it appears they dropped a gram on the weights across the board. When I ordered my stuff all the weights were listed as even numbers like 60, 62 etc. and when the weights actually showed up the 60’s I ordered were stamped with 59. I’ve heard others mention odd number weights as well.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Mine say 114-61 so I assume 61g VS 62g? Will take it out tomorrow and see how it goes, I may have to add a tad bit of weight

F
Feb 3, 2017
Off the line springs are 85/225 in 2 stroke sleds. That is the calibrated spring.

85/255 was changed to 85/225.

Cam arms are embossed/etched with the last 3 # of the P/N and the weight. The weight is the cam arm without bearing. A 59 is more likely around 60. A 61 is likely around 62 etc.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Alright so first ride with the adapt, I'm over revving with the 255 spring and the... 61/62g weights? I was about 83-8400 rpm, so I'm wondering with the 225 spring will drop me a good 200 rpm... Or if not then I may look at welding some weight to the tips of the factory weights...

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Alright so first ride with the adapt, I'm over revving with the 255 spring and the... 61/62g weights? I was about 83-8400 rpm, so I'm wondering with the 225 spring will drop me a good 200 rpm... Or if not then I may look at welding some weight to the tips of the factory weights...
What Elevation you running at?

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Does anyone know if they grease the bearings or any other part of the adapt clutch? Got my first ride today on the new clutch and it felt like the clutch was slipping bad for the first part of the ride. It would just instantly zing up to 82-8300 rpm with little to no pull and on a few occasions I believe I hit some sort of rev limiter as I would hammer it, revs would zing up fast and then it would fall on its face. This never happened before with the team. After riding for a while it seemed whatever was causing it finally wore off the sheaves as it started pulling better and rpm’s dropped to around 8150. Prior to install i scotch brited the sheaves as I have always done and washed the new belt with soap and water also as I have always done. On the hill looking at it I didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary other than the clutch was hot as hell, which is to be expected with belt slip. I ask about grease because once I got home I decided to clean the sheaves and belt again just to be safe and I noticed a bit of an oily looking substance flung on the belly pan and bottom of the belt guard in line with the moveable sheave and weight area. Anyone else experienced anything similar?

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Vern- I do find out that they ( adapt) are zingy-
As far as the residue you have on your adapt- there is quite a bit of protective coating on the clutch sheaves- I know in your post that you scotch cleaned the sheaves.
I follow up with brake cleaner and let it atomize to a nice dry face. It's possible you didn't get it all off and when things got hot, it flung what was missed on the clutch guard and belly pan as described.
I have not had any issues with clients that switched to the adapt prior to a good scrub down..

The BMP snypr weights are tough to tune at 9,000 +it doesn't like the lower magnets at our nose bleed elevations I feel.

Snypr.jpg

Last edited:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Vern- I do find out that they ( adapt) are zingy-
As far as the residue you have on your adapt- there is quite a bit of protective coating on the clutch sheaves- I know in your post that you scotch cleaned the sheaves.
I follow up with brake cleaner and let it atomize to a nice dry face. It's possible you didn't get it all of and when things got hot, it flung what was missed on the clutch guard and belly pan as described.
I have not had any issues with clients that switched to the adapt prior to a good scrub down..

The BMP snypr weights are tough to tune at 9,000 +it doesn't like the lower magnets at our nose bleed elevations
I could never get the MSD weights to work above 10K, even after removing weight from base weight, per Steve's instruction

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Sage how are you running weight in the bmp weights? I'm gonna run them since I don't feel like grinding 4g off the stock 61s. I'm riding at 11k ft.

Premium Features