• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adapt belt to sheave clearance

Jan 19, 2013
Bluffdale
What is an acceptable belt to sheave clearance on these things. I have two new Adapt clutches with about .050 clearance whereas the ‘18 team is
.035 thought these were all closer to .020?

Ol* Geezer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Unless I misunderstood the Question how will changing the shims in the secondary change the clearance in the primary?

Jan 19, 2013
Bluffdale
At about the 30-35 mile mark I started to get a little belt chirp at engagement, also the primary and secondary were very hot. This was mainly on the ‘18 800 as I was out in the powder.

The other Adapt is on my wife’s ‘17 800 with fewer miles and no issues but she doesn’t leave the trail.

After I got home I pulled both clutches to clean and inspect. This is when I discovered the belt to sheave clearance wasn’t as tight as I’m accustomed to. Clearance on both Adapt clutches are the same…

I had the sled over on its side panels a few times and noticed a little oil coming from the breathers on the clutch side which could have contaminated the belt and clutches causing the belt to slip.

I can continue to run them the way they are for further testing… I’m not seeing anything in the ‘23 service manual indicating the clutch can be shimmed?

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Cat new adapt is liking around .010
You can pull / add shims in the secondary to get the correct tolerance
Secondary shims are for belt alignment.

Belt to sheave you have to take the primary apart and add or take away shims under the spider. I usually try for .010-.030”.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Secondary shims are for belt alignment.

Belt to sheave you have to take the primary apart and add or take away shims under the spider. I usually try for .010-.030”.
You are correct I provided bad information- On the adapt it's easy to remove the spider to adjust sheave clearance... I had a blonde moment

F
Nov 30, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
At about the 30-35 mile mark I started to get a little belt chirp at engagement, also the primary and secondary were very hot. This was mainly on the ‘18 800 as I was out in the powder.

The other Adapt is on my wife’s ‘17 800 with fewer miles and no issues but she doesn’t leave the trail.

After I got home I pulled both clutches to clean and inspect. This is when I discovered the belt to sheave clearance wasn’t as tight as I’m accustomed to. Clearance on both Adapt clutches are the same…

I had the sled over on its side panels a few times and noticed a little oil coming from the breathers on the clutch side which could have contaminated the belt and clutches causing the belt to slip.

I can continue to run them the way they are for further testing… I’m not seeing anything in the ‘23 service manual indicating the clutch can be shimmed?
I wonder is something else is happening?
Belt to sheave should not make much difference in clutching temps. Have to admit that the chirp at engagement is a surprise. That usually means a pretty good clearance gap.
There currently isn't a simple method to swap a bushing and change the belt to sheave.
What breathers are you talking about with oil dripping?

F
Jan 2, 2013
Im pretty sure its not as easy as one thinks to set clearance on the adapt. If your in need of less belt to sheeve, you actually have to machine the bearing upper collar to do this.

I do not know how these can be shimmed either, the spider base that threads to the post is an odd design and simply adding shims will do nothing but adjust belt clearance.

Only thing i could think of would be to make a shim to put under the actual spider between it and the base. But you would lose strength being there would be a space between the 6 bolts holding it to the fixture.

May need a custom fixture machined with certain amount of shim increments that would attach back to the spider with the 6 bolts

Premium Features