• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A day that changed my life forever!!!!!!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
A

allpowersports

Hope your buddy have a quick recovery. It is scary how fast things can happen and go from a fantastic day to a living nightmare in a matter of seconds! Thanks for sharing the story with us, I think we all can learn something from it!
THANKS again for sharing.

C

canuck5

Aug 25, 2009
Sylvan Lake AB
Wow that is truly terrifying! Glad he made it. I will definatly be looking at my teather a little different from now on. I ususlly bring a couple pain killers too however in the can form they also thin out the blood. Im sure he will be willing to have one with you guys when hes out for saving him up there. Thanks for sharing

I'm glad your friend is OK, it sounds like an extremely unfortunate situation for him as the story sounds like it could have happened to anyone of us at any given time. I am a big believer in wearing a teather, and even more so now. It sounds like your friend is actually the lucky one here to have friends and riding partners like you and your group. Nobody ever anticipates something like this happening, but when it does people react to the best of their abilities and training. In this case it sounds like your crew did a very good job - you should be proud of the way you handled the situation.

Hindsight will always be 20/20, i'm sure there are things that you look back and think that you may have done better, but the bottom line is that you got him out safely and he will recover.

As far as getting those pictures out of your head, I hope you are able to do that. I lost my best friend last year in an avalanche and that is still one of the issues I struggle with.

I wish your friend a speedy recovery, and thanks for sharing your story.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Your buddy is fortunate to have the friends he has there to help him. I can't think of a better example of having people/friends riding with you you can trust to step up when everything goes south. Heal up fast, and it sounds like you have the attitude to overcome this. I will be installing tethers on my sleds.

M

MPS

Man, when I read that the sled was pinned at 8200 rpms and his arm got sucked in I had a loud reaction and put my hands over my face. I can't imagine. I am so glad he is ok and has a good attitude. So many people wouldn't have the same attitude...sounds like a good guy.

I am a certified combat lifesaver with the Army. I carry my CLS pack on every ride for this reason. I have a medical tourniquet in the pack, a chest catheter, etc. I am ready for stuff like this. I hate the thought of ever having to use it. Everyone I ride with is very experienced as your friend is...non of us are exempt from freak accidents. I have been riding for 17 years and fell off a 60 foot cornice last year because I got complacent.

Anyway, was wondering where you are from Powderhound...but it looks like a friend chimed in and it says he is from Poky. I am from IF. Where were you at in WY?

Last edited:
B

Burtonbreck

Jan 16, 2010
Breck
I respect how you guys handled the situation. Good luck to your buddy in his recovery and all involved. Tether will be worn at all times from this day on, sorry I had to hear a story like this to realize. Take care....

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
THanks for sharing, appreciate the info, and Godspeed for your friends recovery!!!!

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Thought this was going to be another avalanche account. A very similar accident occurred a few years back in BC, only not as sever, injury wise. Maybe someone could pipe up and give some more clarification as far as meds were concerned for pain relief. Hope his recovery goes well.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
I don't know how anyone would say that this was negligence, so I don't see your need to take anyone out back.

Definately a freak thing!

But I wonder - if the tether was long enough not to pop the motor when riding hard and dancing side to side, would it have killed the motor in this case?

Or are you thinking that he could at least have grabbed it with the other hand and yanked?

I have never ran the tether, and prolly won't start now either. By the same run of luck I would have about as good'a odds of getting it wrapped around my neck. Prolly better go with the arm...

I have road flares in my sled for starting fires, but it sounds like in this case that they would have been a super help in flagging the chopper down eh?

Sure hope your chumm can still have a productive life yet. Hopefully his profession will allow for his new limitations. The income is Shirley a much bigger deal than playing.

Sounds like a good group of fellas!

Last edited:

Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
I just got off the phone with him and he is doing good. He told me how hot the nurses were that gave him his sponge bath. His outlook has been an inspiration to me. I have been I bed all day depressed and he has been shopping for crossbows for his elk hunt. He was on the phone today with clients. He is. Real estate agent and wants to be back in the office next week.

His arm was amputated just above the wrist. they will be replacing his arm muscles with other muscles from his body. They talk of prothetics that have robotic features. He is planning on riding next year and we are not to sell his sled. ... May all of us learn from this and be safe !!!!!!

B

badapple

Jan 16, 2009
WEST SIDE
Incredible to say the least!
I have been fortunate to have never experienced something like this in or out of the back country.
I only hope if im ever faced with an emergency like this i have half of your friends resolve and friends like you!
Thank you for sharing, i for one will be wearing my tether from now on!!!

Tree Boss

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2009
Franklin County ID
Man, when I read that the sled was pinned at 8200 rpms and his arm got sucked in I had a loud reaction and put my hands over my face. I can't imagine. I am so glad he is ok and has a good attitude. So many people wouldn't have the same attitude...sounds like a good guy.

I am a certified combat lifesaver with the Army. I carry my CLS pack on every ride for this reason. I have a medical tourniquet in the pack, a chest catheter, etc. I am ready for stuff like this. I hate the thought of ever having to use it. Everyone I ride with is very experienced as your friend is...non of us are exempt from freak accidents. I have been riding for 17 years and fell off a 60 foot cornice last year because I got complacent.

Anyway, was wondering where you are from Powderhound...but it looks like a friend chimed in and it says he is from Poky. I am from IF. Where were you at in WY?

We rode up Willow Creek Yesterday and we were told that this is also where this accident happened the day before.

Powderhound I do believe I rode with you last year up Strawberry Canyon. I was on a red Pro and we rode to the Green Basin warming hut. I wish your friend a quick recovery and I'm glad you and your group was able to get him as comfortable as possible til more helped arrived!!!

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
no tether we don't ride with you.. same as shovel, check, beacon, check, pole check, survival gear check, tow strap, tether check... lets go ride.

A long, long time ago we learned our lesson (although not bad like this accident). We were riding with this kid named Chris and he was riding a hopped up Polaris and was following me up this small climb when he turned out and rolled the sled. He tangled up with the sled as it rolled down the hill and about roll two the throttle got pinned to the bars. My wife watched as the sled, now at full throttle with Chris trying to stay away from the track that was roaring at maximum RPM. Chris got away from the sled and as it turned out the sled landed on a road and took off (still full throttle) down the trail until welding into a tree.

No one got hurt but we learned that day to wear our tethers and still do now.

Personally I think tethers should be stock... props to Doo for making theirs standard.. and bad the others make it an option. Oh and the then kid Chris in the story... last name is Burandt.

Glad you got the injured out and he will live...accidents suck and can happen so quickly and change your life forever:face-icon-small-sad

S

Sledsniper

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Montana
Thanks for sharing. Im at a loss for what to say.
I will be wearin my teather and will be telling all who ride with me to do the same.
Hope your buddy gets to go home soon.

Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
We rode up Willow Creek Yesterday and we were told that this is also where this accident happened the day before.

Powderhound I do believe I rode with you last year up Strawberry Canyon. I was on a red Pro and we rode to the Green Basin warming hut. I wish your friend a quick recovery and I'm glad you and your group was able to get him as comfortable as possible til more helped arrived!!!

If you were the guys on all the pros... Riding that day with Tom Gwinn then yes it was me. Last year may cat had the kitty cat stickers on it.. I believe one of you guys we gave gas to the week before.

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
For years I have been busting my friend's balls about wearing their tethers, they are soo easy to install and wear. Loop it around the wrist.
And every year, one of buddies either hear about OR are a part of a sled accident. Mostly due to a throttle cable sticking, sled takes off full tilt until it hits a tree and becomes a nice big POS.

I cut and pasted the story above in an email to that same group of friends I regularly keep in touch with, thank-you for being brave and posting it to begin with. Although a tragic outcome, people will learn from this post. People will talk about it and educate others out there. Give your friend our best.
Also get some brain help if you guys notice you aren't sleeping or functioning properly. I can only imagine what you've seen, and that would definitely not be easy. Your brain does some complex things and can inadvertently hold you back in life. Talking about it is the best thing you can do. Believe me, I been through it similar situations before. Despite adversity, you all came together and done the best you could. Be proud.

TO continue about tethers. I drive an M, so I had to install them on both my M1 and M7. That's life. Also got them installed on the current GF's sled and the ex's. Just an idea for people here, I mounted mine on the right side so that I'm able to wrap the cord around my right wrist as it never leaves the bar. There's a picture below. Most of the times you see them at the key switch on the left but for whatever reason, my logic had me do something different. The shrinks are still exploring this.
Anyhow, on our cat, there's loads of room behind the heat shield at the pipe on both sides. And there's also loads of wiring in the kit to make the length. Also try mounting it above the handle instead of mine that's below the pull handle. Your right hand stays on the bar and throttle and naturally keeps the tether out of the way when your left hand does the pulling--- for me anyways.
If you think your tether is too long, shorten it. There's factories in china mass producing zipties everyday, you just need to get your hands on one! :) Coil it up a bit and zip-tie her.

Last edited:
H

hotshot

Nov 26, 2007
Pocatello, Idaho
I just got done talking to him as well. He's doing great other than I told him those cute nurses were actually 300 pound male nurses. The drugs have got to him. And yes we are from poky. Thanks guys for all your support.

H

hotshot

Nov 26, 2007
Pocatello, Idaho
Just a thought, but maybe we could get this message to cat and poo. All sleds need to come with tethers stock. You would think it would be a liability issue. Any suggestions?

P

phatboyfilms

Oct 7, 2008
Thx for sharing, made me sick but some times u need to hear things like this to remind u that those things u never think will happen, can.

I put a tether on my Pro (last month). Love it. Feel free to pm me if u have a pro & have questions.

& for the guy that asked if the tether would have worked,I'm confident mine would've. The cord is fairly short & it pops pretty easy. I move around on my sled a lot when I'm boondocking & I'd say there is no chance it u could get wrapped up in the cord either (I'm sure u were just kidding, but figured I'd clarify anyways). I wear mine clipped to my jacket - there's a nice loop for it right on the front on my motorfist jacket.

Gonna share this my riding group, hopefully more will wise up & put on tethers.

Thx again & my prayers go out to your friend & everyone that had to endure that experience.

Last edited:

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
I never wear my tether. I used to wear it all the time but as I was jumping from side to side one time it hooked in the bars and came off and I rolled my sled....figured what the hell, i dont need that thing !!! I WILL start wearing it again now....Thanks for making me smarter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Premium Features